is it just me or the guy from "The Strange Disappearance of D.B. Cooper" is very coulson-like??? i need smt to be whipped up and presented abt it, preferably with as much words as possible
Well, it sounds like you’re the one to do it, Anon! :D I don’t know if The Strange Disappearance of DB Cooper is a tv show, documentary, movie, or if you’re just referring to the story of DB Cooper – I’m familiar with the story, but I don’t know which retelling you’re referencing. (I googled but “the strange disappearance of DB cooper” is the title of like half of the stuff made about him.)
But to get you thinking, I suspect the resemblance between the DB Cooper sketch and Coulson is not entirely unintentional. Coulson’s character design evokes the Men In Black (the original cryptid version from alien abduction retellings, the Mothman encounters, &etc, not the media franchise), and more generally implies the Anonymous White Bureau-Auto-crat, a man as nondescript as possible because the work he does is as anonymous as possible. He’s meant to be the secret weapon who looks like the cog in the machine. The flat conservative hairstyle, generic white-male face (sorry Clark Gregg, you have a quite attractive generic white-male face), suit, and sunglasses serve the same purpose in both Coulson’s design and DB Cooper’s appearance: to simultaneously present an air of authority and an air of anonymity. I believe the sunglasses were added in Thor, but even in the first Iron Man film he was painted as a dangerous man who intentionally presents as a harmless bureaucrat.
DB Cooper’s insane stunting combined with his total anonymity – we don’t know where he came from or what happened to him – was an exceptionally powerful icon in the seventies especially, when the story dominated the headlines. It’s not out of the question that the image of DB Cooper contributed materially to our culture’s view of the power of anonymity, which in turn influenced Coulson’s character design.
Comprehensive List Of Head Canons Proving Mat and Craig Should Also Be Your OTP:
- Carmensita wants to join soft ball because all the other girls are in it but another girl at school keeps bullying her about being artsy not sporty and saying she wouldn’t be able to do it. When Mat finds out he gets Craig to teach him all the rules of the game to prove that you don’t need to be sporty to know the game. Briar and Hazel become her personal defense squad. She makes them special bracelets. Craig let’s her design the new team logo. Mat bakes the team banana bread and soft ball themed cookies. They’re both really proud of how much confidence they’ve given her. Mat becomes a regular volunteer and chaperone for the soft ball team. Craig’s real glad to have a friendly face around to help spread out the flirting from the moms and gossip about them behind their back with.
- One evening when C is at a sleepover with Daisy and Mat is alone in the house all night he has a really hard time sleeping because he can’t stop thinking of his late wife. He ends up awake at a god awful hour and decides to go for a walk to clear his head before C gets home. He happens across Craig in the park doing full coreo to baby one more time. He is absolutely MORTIFIED because it’s 5:26am and no one else is supposed to be here and Mat can’t stop laughing while Craig goes beet red and tries to explain how he, Smashley, and MC learned the coreo for a thing at collage and he wanted to see if he could still do it and oh god why are you still laughing this is the most embarrassing day of my life. Mat finally calms down from laughing, pulls out his phone and breaks out the full coreo to Everybody. He can’t believe he actually just did that and they both swear to take this to their grave. He managed to laugh and forget about his grief for awhile though and so it’s worth it.
- They end up just sitting in the park and talking for hours because it’s 5:30, bro. what’s happening for you to be out of bed? You okay dude? They talk about his wife and Craig’s divorce and how they’re worried about their daughters and how much they admire the other as a parent and they talk so long Mat loses track of time and is late to pick up Carmensita. Craig heads back with him because Brian’s and Mat’s houses are just before his and he should probably be getting home to do some house work. They message each other later on dadbook saying how nice it was to just sit and talk and how they didn’t really realize how much they both needed it until now.
- Amanda sneaks embarrassing pictures of her father’s past to a BBQ to share with his LI and Mat sees this and tries to slyly snoop until the LI points out that Craig are in some of these and Mat’s like “alright now I’ve gotta see this up close”. Amanda is more than happy to share them with everyone interested. This is how Mat finds out that Craig was ALSO in that Ska band. There is absolutely no way Mat is letting either of them forget this now.
- Craig insists that Mat needs a diet that consists of more than coffee and insists upon making him a meal plan. (“Bro! Think of Carmensita!”) Mat agrees on the terms that he lets him make a jogging playlist of his favourite under appreciated music so that there’s someone else to push it on.
- He actually gets really into one of the bands and they come to the city just outside of town. MC insists that the both of them never take days off and they need to go see this band that neither of them shut up about, if for no one else’s sake the sake of all the rest of them who will never hear the end of it if they miss it.
- They plan on going and coming back the same night but the car breaks down and they get stuck. At first they’re both freaking out but Smashley’s got the girls and Carmensita’s having fun experimenting with some of Amanda’s old art equipment and they’re both still really jazzed about the show so they agree to figure it out in the morning and rent a cheap room in some seedy motel and enjoy their well needed break.
- That’s the night that Mat finds out about the shitty matching Garfield the Cat tattoos Craig and MC got one night when they were drunk in collage and talking about how they wished the weekend would never end. Mat admits to the fact that his sleeve tattoo miiigghhttt have started as a cover up of a shitty tattoo his friend gave him in high school.
- They may or may not get a little drunk and make out a little.
- Carmensita makes her dad a sort of scrap book picture story college of their lives together leading up to letting him know that if he’s ready to move on and start dating she’d be happy to see him happy.
- The whole page devoted to the fun they’ve had with the Cahn’s is not so subtle.
- Briar and Hazel have been calling him “dad’s boyfriend” for almost a month at this point.
- The girls keep coming up with ways to drive Craig to he coffee shop and Carmensita starts making excuses to get Mat to stay to practice.
- The girls are not at all subtle and not attempting to be subtle and so Mat and Craig become the next biggest will they won’t they on the cul-de-sac.
- Of course they do.
I’ve seen a lot of Dream Daddy posts tagged with things like ‘is there a ship name’/’what’s the pairing name?’, so I went ahead and compiled a list. It’s by no means complete. There are definitely a lot of ship names missing, but I tried to gather what I could without ripping my hair out (thank you, tumblr, for your awful search/tag system).
Anyways, the list is in alphabetical order*. There’s repetition because I wanted it to be easy to search by character. Feel free to send suggestions/additions!
[Translate on Seventeen couples that are featured in Japanese magazine]
Jeongcheol couple (S.coups×Jeonghan)
The atmosphere between S.coups and Jeonghan is like a middle-aged couple!?
They are husband and wife of Seventeen family!
The noble path couple in Seventeen. The another name of this couple is “the husband and the wife”. It seems S.coups is often trying to get Jeonghan’s attention. They wear the same clothes. Their actions are sometimes synchronizing. They look like a couple have lived happily together for a long time. S.coups is called father and Jeonghan is called mother of Seventeen.
JISOOHAN couple (Joshua × Jeonghan)
The beauty and the beauty, the dazzling couple.
They’ve been having strong bond since they were trainees.
These two, Joshua and Jeonghan are very popular couple! They are very close to each other, and they are very beautiful and good looking. They are the most picturesque couple among SEVENTEEN.
It’s been witnessed that they are staring at each other while singing on stage. By the way, Jisoohan is one of the most popular couples among Japanese carats.
HoshiWoozi couple (Hoshi×Woozi)
Leaders of each units!!
Two members who support seventeen! Vocal team leader Woozi and performance team leader Hoshi, they are the unite leader couple. They have more discussions than other members because Woozi composes songs and Hoshi choreographs these songs. In addition, they are the same age, and they like the same anime. They have a lot in common. From there facts mentioned above, you can see they are very close to each other. By the way, their eyes are sharp and they’re often said they are look similar.
Jun × The8. China (global) line
Twin stars like brothers☆
You see they’re caring each other, and it melts your heart.
Jun and The8 are called China line because they’re from China. Jun is hyeong line and The8 is maknae line, so they are very close to each other and look like they are actual brothers. Jun speaks and understand Korean better than The8, so sometimes Jun helps the8. By the way, to improve the8’s Korean, they talk in Korean even they’re alone together.
HoshiDino couple (Hoshi×Dino)
Lovey-dovey cople of performance team.
Their faces look similar to each other and they are like actual brothers☆
Hoshi is very kind to Dino who is maknae of Seventeen. They both belong to performance team, also, Dino can choreograph as well, so they often discuss about dance. Dino admires and relies on Hoshi, and Hoshi takes care of Dino so much. It’s often witnessed that they’re standing close to each other, and it melts crats’ heart!
Meanie couple (Wonwoo × Mingyu)
MOE couple of “Cat boy” and “Dog boy”
Carats fall in love with the gap between their appearance and their cute actions.
This couple is one of the most poplar couples. Wonwoo is goofy and “cat boy”, and the other hand Mingyu is reliable and “dog boy”. It’s a typical combination which girls love. They look really cool, but they actually act so cute!! They ease your mind.
Thank you very much for your comment @keyboard-crat, I love having discussions about Tove.
Tove was indeed very brave as she was able to express her feelings for women in public, if subtle ways. She put her lover in her popular book series and painted her first female lover in a fresco displayed very publicly at the capital where she lived. But the key point is still subtlety. Moomintroll never engages in a romantic relationship with Too-Ticki and Tove never confirmed Moomintroll as her self-insert (he is just one of the many characters who have parts of Tove’s personality). So all themes are clear but mainly subtext.
Thingumy and Bob are clear avatars for Tove and her first female lover Vivica, as their original Swedish names are actually nicknames Tove and Vivica used in real life. However, these characters also never go beyond subtext as no romance is ever confirmed. It was also not public knowledge that Tove and Vivica used those nicknames, even though it was clear to their friends and acquaintances. Tove was very bold when she included these characters in her work but she remembered to be a bit cautious. What is clear to us modern readers who now know all the details was less clear to her readers at the time.
Tove also rarely gave interviews about her personal life and did not publish much details during her life. She mostly spoke about her work but did not address comments made about deeper meanings or hidden connections to real life. But she did not ever hide her relationship with Tuulikki. (Though the press did not ever feel the need to cover it anyway; what good is there to publish a well-known secret?) Still, fans should remember that Tove herself wanted to censor all mention of romance in her biography so she did not feel all that comfortable with sharing everything, especially for children.
Also, Tove never shared apartments with any of her male lovers. After moving away from her parents’ house at older age of 27, she lived alone in her atelier. She actually never moved in with Tuulikki either, as they lived next door (though they mostly spend time in one apartment anyway). She did share a rented atelier with other artists and an island with Tuulikki. She was open about her dating which was indeed a scandal (Tove was a young woman in the 30s and 40s when premarital sexual relationships were frowned upon) and her father worried about her free ways. However, Faffan did not ever scold Tove for this and was actually very civil to her male lovers.
I hope these details clarify more about Tove’s life as seen through interviews with her friends and her letters she wrote while alive. Much information and details about Tove has only been revealed after her passing and it is amazing we can get glimpses into her life which was such a mystery for quite long.