Lmao I just saw that ask from an anon saying that they'd reported u but like, if you want to stop fan translations, buy US ALL (the ones that CANT afford to pay) the comic and translate it for us, be my guest.
People forget that those who CAN buy the chapters are not able to due to their location and those who CANNOT buy the chapters can’t be necessarily blamed for not having any disposable income. I’ve heard people complain when I talked about these issues but it seems they can’t understand the circumstances of others (wish they read my post about Lezhin and COA thoroughly before commenting). Lezhin won’t go out of business because of people like me. In fact, Lezhin was one of the top 10 to have the biggest start-up funding in 2016, about 50 billion won (Forbes).
Manhwa is reading, no one should be denied to read (reading and having the content are two different things - you go to libraries to read a textbook but go to the bookstores to buy the same exact textbook). If Lezhin doesn’t want their pockets bare, they should really consider thinking about solutions to these issues. Can you point fingers at me for doing something the company cannot - reaching fans from all income level?
And to those complaining, please complain to me only after you left suggestions to Lezhin, talked to them about some of the issues in hand, speak about your fellow KS fans who are left stranded because of obstacles they have no control of (weak currency value, location like those in the Middle East with banking issues, political policies and unrest, student loans, and more).
I’ll even give you a list to send them:
- Puts ads on free chapters of the manhwa and a wait time, implement a “premium” service like Viki, Dramafever, Youtube, which will allow premium to skip ads and can get the translated chapters immediately (suggested by a lovely user).
- Work with fan translators - put ads on blogs with fan translations and use the ad revenue to be given to Lezhin and the artists.
- Incorporate a fan translation corner like Webtoon Translate owned by Naver.
- Include student seasonal passes and discounts like Microsoft, Photoshop, Amazon, ASOS, etc.
- Allow image overlay translations to work on Lezhin website so that fan translators will have to make readers buy the chapters to read fan translations! This solves the issue of waiting nearly 2 weeks for the English translations.
Feel free to add to the list!
Also, the phrases “you should just buy the chapters” or “don’t read fan translations” or “you shouldn’t read it if you can’t buy it” are incredibly outdated and miss the whole point of WHY I translate and WHY people read fan translations. Sure, these solutions won’t solve everything about fan translations and readers but at least giving the readers an option to read the content at Lezhin versus any other site, isn’t that a good deal?
Koogi lives on a livable wage so she CANNOT be harmed, only helped (read about that here but if you can buy the chapters, please do so - Koogi receives a portion of the revenue) and Lezhin won’t be ruined by people like me (read about their recent success here and here), so stop worrying about the business and start worrying about the fans.