rucas for the ship thing :)
AHHH nice thank you hilde i was hoping someone would ask rucas, i can always count on you
- who hogs the duvet: riley fjdkaf riley is such a snuggle bug, that she always always wraps herself up in the blankets, and lucas would be annoyed, but riley always cuddles herself up next to him when she’s all wrapped up in the blankets, and she’s just so darn cute about it, he can’t be mad. so he just wraps his arms around her and uses her body heat to keep him warm.
- who texts/rings to check how their day is going: both of them, but riley does it far more often. i’m diving a little more into hc territory and @friarlucas‘s fic, but this happens especially during junior-senior year of high school when things aren’t Great with lucas, so riley is always just texting him, asking him how he is and giving him little encouragements to get through the day.
- who’s the most creative when it comes to gifts: riley! lucas and riley are both hella pro gift givers, and always give each other very sentimental things that usually make the other one cry, but riley’s are always out of left field and lucas never, never sees them coming so when she gives them to him he’s like “????? i love you ????? how did you do this?????”
- who gets up first in the morning: riley, lucas doesn’t get up that much after her, but riley usually is awake with the sun and she usually spends those early morning minutes before lucas is awake just Admiring him while he sleeps, because he looks so at peace. most of the time she’ll end up like stroking his face while he’s asleep which eventually ends up waking him up.
- who suggests new things in bed: fdjkaf probably riley. it’s always kind of sheepish too, like she’s always a little embarrassed about it, but her and maya are always reading cosmo and what not when they’re together and riley will see stuff and be like “huh….that’s……something” and it will take her like a week to finally bring it up to lucas but he’s always super cool about trying it, luckily at this point if they try something and it doesn’t work, they’ll just end up collapsed on each other in laughter. sometimes lucas almost never suggests things because he always gets worried about riley’s comfort, so he’s always afraid to make her uncomfortable.
- who cries at movies: riley cries at pretty much every movie her and lucas have ever seen, like she cried during some stupid comedy movie that they saw together and lucas was like “riley are you ok what happened” but that’s just bc riley is one of those sympathetic cries so if someone even lOOKS upset in a movie, she’s already in tears. however, whenever lucas and riley watch a movie where an animal gets hurts, lucas will have to subtly wipe the tears from his eyes. they also both cry at disney movies, always.
- who gives unprompted massages: this is the same as i said in my zucas one, but lucas. with his fidgety hands, he’s always looking for something to do with them, and they almost always are doing Something relating to riley, whether that be braiding her hair or unbuttoning and buttoning up a shirt that she’s wearing, but one day while they’re studying, she casually mentions that she slept on her neck wrong and keeps moving it, so he just starts giving her a message, and it’s a win win situation, it gives lucas something to do with his hands and he gives really good messages to they always make riley feel better.
- who fusses over the other when they’re sick: they are both extremely, extremely guilty of this. both of them get fussy and jump into nurse mode when the other one in sick, the biggest difference is that when riley is sick, she lives for lucas taking care of her and he’s so good at it, always making her soup and bringing her medicine and making sure she always has a cold washcloth on her forehead and she loves it and it always makes her feel better to have him take care of her, whereas lucas gets VERY stubborn when he’s sick and for the first day he refuses to let riley take of care of him because “he’s fine!!” but then when he gets too weak to protest, riley is finally able to treat him with the same care that he treats her with when she’s sick.
- who gets jealous easiest: while riley has been prone to get jealous, lucas gets jealous a little more easily, mainly because he’s So scared of losing riley that it comes out more than he wishes it would. also lucas’ jealousy is usually completely impulsive and he’ll feel it even though he knows he has no reason to. this is something that really only happens in the earlier stages of their relationship, by the time they’ve been together for a while, they get much more confident in their relationship.
- who has the most embarrassing taste in music: lucas ajfkdaf lucas doesn’t think that he has embarrassing taste in music, but sometimes one of his songs will come on shuffle when they’re studying together and lucas will start humming or singing to himself and it’s some country song or weird 80s song that riley has never heard and she’ll just look at him across the room, and when he sees her looking at him, he’ll just start singing louder and getting more into it before riley just bursts into laughter and lucas is giving her a full on performance while trying to keep his own laughter in check because they’re NERDS
- who collects something unusual: while neither one of them have necessary unusual collections, they both keep pretty much EVERYTHING from their relationship. like riley has a box under her bed that has notes that lucas has written her, the riley sign he made during rah rah, movie ticket stubs, funny little drawings that maya has drawn of her and lucas, or that lucas has made for her, his valentine’s day cards, etc and lucas has a drawer in his desk that’s the “riley drawer” where the orange leaf sits, along with the little name tag she made him in sneak attack and just everything she’s ever given him or things that remind him of her. they both just have everything from their relationship, they’re hella sentimental.
- who takes the longest to get ready: riley, while lucas is extremely fussy with his own appearance, riley takes showers every morning and always takes a while to pick out her outfit, she doesn’t take all too long, but she takes a little bit longer than lucas, especially because she’s usually still getting herself ready when she fixes lucas’ hair and shirt the way she knows he likes them and then once riley has fixed his shirt and hair, lucas doesn’t touch it so then he just has a wait a couple more minutes for riley to finish up getting herself ready. he doesn’t mind though, because he loves watching her get ready in the morning.
- who is the most tidy and organised: neither one of them are “unorganized” per se, but lucas is definitely the more organized one of the two of them. he gets very weird about things being too out of order and it almost surprises riley how Clean his room is when she sees it for the first time. riley doesn’t let her room or locker get too messy, but if something is out of place, she doesn’t bother fixing it right away, unlike lucas, who kind of always needs things to be in their rightful place.
- who gets most excited about the holidays: riley! lucas doesn’t dislike christmas, but it was never a favorite holiday of his (especially with his weird kind of disconnected family), whereas riley has always loved it. she loves decorating their apartment and usually sets aside the first saturday in december for her and lucas to decorate together, they both make sure they take the day off, get a tree, make cookies so on and so fourth. lucas grows to love christmas as him and riley continue their relationship, but his excitement level never really competes with riley’s.
- who is the big spoon/little spoon: i’ve answered this before, but oH MAN lucas is almost always the big spoon, he’s very Protective of riley and while he’s well aware that she can take care of herself and doesn’t need his protection, he worries about her sometimes so when he’s the big spoon and he can just hold her in his arms, he feels at Peace because he knows that she’s safe. however, when things get Hard for lucas later in high school, sometimes riley is the big spoon and lucas likes it because riley feels like home and it makes him feel so much better.
- who gets most competitive when playing games and/or sports: riley! riley is very competitive sometimes (she gets that from her mother), and while she never gets particular competitive when she’s playing a game with lucas, she gets competitive on behalf of lucas, more than once she’s been talked to by the baseball coach for getting too aggressive from the sidelines of his baseball games and yelling at the refs. this only becomes worse when they have children and their children are involved in activities.
- who starts the most arguments: riley, however, it’s never because she actually wants to argue with him about something. they hardly ever argue to begin with, but sometimes if riley really needs him to Hear something, she’ll get really frustrated and just kind of immediately jump to the argumentative place. she hates arguing with him and fighting about things, but sometimes it’s the only thing that seems to work. let it be known though, this only happens like FOUR times their entire lives bc they both hate fighting and are v v good at communication, so they can usually talk through their issues.
- who suggests that they buy a pet: ok so here’s the thing, lucas is a vet so he LOVES animals and he’s down with getting a pet, but he wants him and riley to do it together, and they both are just always busy so they don’t get a chance to go to the shelter together, however, one day while lucas is at the clinic or in his internship, riley happens to stop by the shelter, not because she’s going to ADOPT but just to look, but then she meets the absolute cutest little dog in the entire world and he’s a puppy and needs a home and she just can’t say no, she she adopts him right there on impulse, names him pluto and then surprises lucas when he gets home later that day. luckily, pluto and lucas immediately bond and he’s only a lil angry at riley for like .5 seconds for not telling him before pluto has him wrapped around his little paw.
- what couple traditions they have: riley and lucas LOVE to take naps together?? this is something that starts about sophomore year of high school and just continues throughout their relationship, they’ll come back to her house after school, he’ll give her his sweatshirt and they’ll just nap together. they also love to go to the movies together on their date nights, and lucas will get popcorn and chocolate and riley will get jellybeans and they’ll split their treats up and just stare at each other while the movie plays in the background (neither one of them ever remember what the movie was about), also STUDYING together, they love doing that.
- what tv shows they watch together: riley is the only, i repeat only person who is allowed to watch cuddle bunnies with lucas, it’s one of their favorite things to do if they’ve both had kinda hard days but aren’t able to fall asleep and take a nap, they’ll just cuddle on her bed and watch cuddle bunnies together. real talk, they love to watch just like goofy kids shows together, because it makes them both happy. and while riley is always trying to get lucas to watch the knicks with her, he usually tries to avoid it because knicks fan riley kinda scares him a lil bit.
- what other couple they hang out with: rucas and smarkle double date like all the time, especially when zay and maya are both single, bc they’re the couples of the group. they never do anything crazy but they always have a good time, later in life, they hang out with joshaya all the time too, especially when there’s a big matthews family gathering, like joshaya and rucas will just stand in the corner and judge the rest of riley and josh’s family.
- how they spend time together as a couple: riley and lucas do basically everything together, like they’ll study together, watch movies, bake together, eat together, take naps, talk ALWAYS, they don’t actually Go out that much but any moment that they get to spend together they love.
- who made the first move: i mean technically lucas did?? he was the one that asked riley out in first date, so he kinda jump started the whole romantic aspect of their relationship, but she kissed him first, so they both kinda made the first move.
- who brings flowers home: lucas!!!! he’s such a sap!!!!! he always brings riley flowers!!! like there’s this one flower shop down the street from them that has the prettiest purple roses and once a week lucas always brings her flowers, not for any reason in particular but when she asks, he’s like “oh you just look so pretty today” or “i brought one of your cookies to work and it made me really happy so i brought you these” like he’s such a sap he just wants to buy riley flowers every day of his life!!!
- who is the best cook: lucas and riley both like to cook, but lucas is way better at it than riley is. baking is much more riley’s speed. so usually lucas will cook dinner and riley will bake something for desert and then they’ll do the dishes together.