Den-O rewatch, episode one! in this episode: a very unlucky boy gets stuck in a tree, is given coffee by a woman in a magic train, accidentally makes a contract with a demon by riding his bike over it, and is unwillingly conscripted into becoming a time-traveling superhero. it’s a very action-packed 23 minutes!
ugggh there’s so much I wanted to draw for this episode, I couldn’t decide. it’s a solid opening that does a great job of immediately establishing the characters with all these wonderful moments of interaction, and it’s all so good! Ryoutarou is somehow even more pathetically adorable than I remember, which I didn’t think was possible. (that poor boy, just…just let him be happy for once.) I’m definitely gonna have to draw more for this episode, something with Hana at least! I have…a lot of feelings about Hana.
I’ll try not to always be tl;dr but I’m excited to get the ball rolling, and this episode gave me lots of happy nostalgic feelings. C: it’s nice to immediately start off remembering why I loved this ridiculous show in the first place.
also: Ryoutarou’s first fight was so appropriately dorky that it was kind of incredible??
ok I lied. additional reactions to last night’s supergirl episode in no particular order:
1. Alex Danvers mom’ing Winn and James is maybe my favorite thing ever
2. everybody at the bar! !!! That bar is the best introduction of a new set ever, I love the bar, I love the people at the bar, I love that everyone hangs out and drinks and gives each other shit at the bar
3. what if mon-el is like “i like you” to kara and then kara has to do what maggie did to alex (because everyone knows she’s into Lena) and explain she’s there for him as a whole “last of our kind” thing but just as like…a friend. and it’s like a parallel. (that’s not going to happen, but what IF)
4. ok, but for real, is…alex…coming out…a red herring? like, are they actually playing up Lena Luthor and Kara danvers having big ol’ crushes on each other? are they giving us alex like “hey look, like we said! Someone dealing with their sexuality” which we all KNEW was coming only to spring “oh by the way, kara too” on us? It just…it’s so far fetched and yet….it…kinda….seems like that?
5. james being a crazy vigilante. “no we can’t stop now! we’re helping people!” like ok james, chill, bro, this is exactly what kara and alex were talking about with the masks and the angst and whatnot.
6. kara, wise beyond her years, experiencer of trauma and kryptonian therapist talking j’onn through seeing his family and stuff was so. good.
CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW MERYL STREEP OWNS THE OSCARS EVERY YEAR...
Like, starting by how stunning she looked as the HBIC that she is (and at 65 btw)
(And those legs alkjskfhjkslad)
Then showing up with her husband, married since 1978 and still rocking the Oscars together
Then, what’s the first Meryl reference of the night? : “Magic Meryl effin’ Streep” (so yeah, a pretty good description for Meryl at the Oscars) and the fact that she still gets adorably embarrassed when they joke about all her nominations
She blew us a kiss and blessed us while doing so
Her epic reaction to feminism
Giving THE BEST introduction ever, so beautifully delivered it almost won an Oscar
Fangirling over Julie Andrews like us
And as if that wasn’t enough, she ruled the selfies of the night once more
being an adorable dork in the meantime
So thank you Meryl Streep for always making the Oscars an event worth watching, this is why
1) “A lot of educators tell students, ‘Think of your principal as your pal.’ I say, 'Think of me as your judge, jury, and executioner.'” I love Snyder. He’s the best. I mean, he’s the best worst. Does that make sense?
Snyder: Well, it is quite a match between you two. On the one hand, Buffy hasn’t stabbed a horticulture teacher with a trowel. Sheila: I didn’t stab anyone with a trowel. They were pruning shears.
Yeah, Snyder, get your facts straight, don’t go spreading lies about Sheila. She stabbed a teacher with pruning shears, not with a trowel.
3) And home, sweet home!
I get that a lot of fans hate Spike, I get it. I don’t, I love him. But you gotta admit, this was one of the best character introductions the show ever pulled off. And he wouldn’t have stuck around if Spike wasn’t an interesting character and a great addition to the show. And James’ acting, of course, had a lot to do with it. Because there were a lot of times in which a character seemed great in theory, and then the actors didn’t quite deliver. So yay Spike basically.
4) “This weekend, the night of St. Vigeous, our power shall be at its peak.” I’ve got two comments about this. 1. It’s interesting how in the early seasons the writers bothered to come up with these specific dates, demon holidays or whatever (like The Harvest or St. Vigeous) to make up excuses for everything going batshit crazy and later on it was mayhem mayhem mayhem all around the clock basically. 2) It’s explained here how during the night of St. Vigeous vampires’ power is at its peak. Spike decided to reschedule their attack, but there wasn’t any reason they coudn’t attack again on Saturday night, right? And if this was such a special and empowering day for vampires, then why wasn’t it mentioned ever again? Why don’t we have a St. Vigeous episode in every season?
5) “Oh, please! If every vampire who said he was at the crucifixion was actually there, it would have been like Woodstock.” What other events in history vampires claim to have witnessed to sound cool? Also, James looked like a baby and his accent definitely improved over the years. Thank you, Anthony.
6) And baby Dru!
Why didn’t we get a Drusilla centric episode? W H Y?
7) “Me and Dru, we’re movin’ in.”
8) This is not how you parent:
Exhibit A: But we moved once because of you getting in trouble. And I had
to start a new business, not to mention a new life in a whole new town.
Like, did she really need to remind Buffy of this every single day of their lives? Was it necessary? Was guilt-tripping her daughter the best way to help her? Because this is not the first time she made a comment like this.
Exhibit B: What I don’t want is to be disappointed in you again.
And she’s making it all about her. Like “your behavior is inconvenient for me”. What? Why? Why aren’t you trying to express your concern about your daughter? About how you want the best for her, how you want her to succeed, to do well at her new school? Bad, bad parenting.
Buffy: Mom, that’s the last thing that I want, too. I’m
trying, I really am. I just… I have a lot of pressure on me right now. Joyce: Wait till you get a job. Sleep tight.
Of course, if you don’t have a job you can’t have a lot of pressure on you, you silly teenager. And this is not even about the fact that, like Buffy herself explains, she does have a job. This is wrong even if your kid is not busy saving the world from demons. The fact that you’re young and don’t have the same kind of responsibilites and obligations grown-ups have doesn’t mean you can’t feel pressured. And it definitely doesn’t mean your concerns are less legitimate. They are different, but just as important.
9) “I can study and party and do Parent-Teacher night and make my mother proud…” What pressures are you talking about, Buffy? You don’t have a job! Haha! Silly girl!
10) See? No pressure whatsoever.
Giles: You know what happens when you, you let your life interfere with your slaying. Buffy: Okay, well, if my slaying doesn’t get me expelled, then I
promise my banner making won’t get me killed, okay? Just please let me get through this week.
It’s actually a wonder that it took 5 seasons + dying for Buffy to finally crack under the pressure, to finally say: “Fuck this, I’d rather die”. It’s a wonder, a miracle, and a great example for young people as well. She always kept going, even when she didn’t know how to.
11) This wasn’t just Spike surveying his enemy, And it wasn’t just about a predator on the prowl. There is want and there is lust. This scene is so charged.
12) Oh, jebus! I just noticed this! So Spike approaches a random dude and says:
Where’s the phone? I need to call the police. There’s some big guy out there trying to bite somebody.
(If I heard someone is trying to bite a person, I would think “zombies!”, not “vampires!”)
And this is how Random Dude reacts to this news!
He doesn’t have a care in the world, guys! He doesn’t give a fuck about zombies! Who cares if there’s someone in danger out there? He has to dance to the beat! Kudos, Carefree Random Dude. I envy you.
14) I know this is silly, but it always bothers me. They used the same shot of Buffy turning around twice in the same scene.
15) Spike leaving after promising to kill Buffy reminds me of that Seinfeld episode in which Elaine gets in a fight with Raquel Welch because Raquel thought Elaine was making fun of her walking without swinging her arms. Spike doesn’t swing his arms!
16) “He’s worse. Once he starts something he doesn’t stop until everything in his path is dead.” In hindsight, this is so funny, because time and time again we have witnessed Spike’s plans failing miserably.
17) Hi, Miss Edith!
18) Okay, this is not how you slice, Buffy.
She drops the machete from left to right, what are you even doing???
19) I love how Cordelia is included in all of this and how she is willingly helping Buffy and the Scoobies even though she has nothing to gain from this. Character development in the making!
20) “Yes! PCP! It’s a gang on PCP! We’ve gotta get out of here.” Okay, so by the end of the episode we learn Snyder was fully aware of the supernatural stuff and he was also involved in covering it up. So basically when he helped that dude to climb through the window he was being an intentionally negligent asshole. Not cool.
21) “I am the Watcher! I am responsible for her, and I have, I have to go!” <3 Giles! And <3 Jenny because she didn’t try to stop him, she understood his reasons! <3 <3 <3
22) We all know who Buffy got her sass from.
Snyder: This is my school. What I say goes, and I say this is *not* happening. Joyce: Well, then I guess the danger’s over!
23) Okay, I had never given too much thought about this image, but now I definitely think they were doing a callback to this scene in Restless!
24) So when it’s revealed Sheila is a vampire, at first I thought it would’ve been cool to have her attend Sunnydale High as a vampire, you know? It would’ve been interesting to have a vampire among the students every day. Then I thought: sunlight. And then I remembered they did the “vampires go to highschool even though it’s super weird because they look like forty-year-olds and sunlight doesn’t affect them because they all have rings of Amara” in The Vampire Diaries. So yeah. I’m cool with Sheila not sticking around. I wondered what happened to her, though. She ran away from Buffy, so she must’ve lived for a while? And who sired her? Dru or Spike? It was Dru, right?
25) “The last Slayer I killed… she begged for her life.” Did we see begging in Fool for Love? I don’t remember.
26) You gotta love the fact that Joyce scared Spike away.
Principal Snyder said you were a troublemaker. And I could care less. I have a daughter who can take care of herself. Who’s brave and resourceful and thinks of others in a crisis. No matter who you hang out with or what dumb teenage stuff you think you need to do, I’m gonna sleep better knowing all that.
Finally you do something resembling good parenting, Joyce. Bravo!
28) Random request: if anyone has seen a tutorial on how to do your nails like Drusilla’s, please send me a link!
29) You can hate Spike, but at least you gotta be grateful he got us rid of the Annoying one!
30) This is such a great episode, guys! Totally rewatch worthy! Spike! Drusilla! Angel is Spike’s sire! Joyce plays the good parent and the bad parent! Jenny and Giles continue to be the cutest ever! And Cordy starts to become one of the Scoobies! Awesomeness all around!
I wasn't allowed to play D&D as a kid. Once I was allowed to play, I was sure the game had progressed so far that I'd never be able to catch up. It was also really hard to find the game in my town, let alone players. Watching Tabletop has gotten me interested in board games but I still find D&D kind of intimidating. Is it too late to learn?
It’s never too late to learn any RPG. The 5e D&D Starter Set is probably the best introduction to the hobby (for players and GMs) that I’ve ever read or played.
Hi!! as you all know, week 1 is introduction + the best thing you’ve ever made week, so here we go! Everything is in my about so i’ll just say a few things about me: I’ll be posting every tuesday, I like painting, ceramics/pottery, plants, fashion, and a variety of music and movies! The best thing I’ve ever made (for the moment) is probably this painting, I’m really proud of the colors and everything. Hope you guys like my future posts, and feel free to submit the best stuff you’ve made!