OKAY KIDS GET READY FOR SOME UNNECESSARILY DETAILED EXAMINATIONS OF KAIBA’S COMPUTER BC THE ANIMATORS MADE THESE DECISIONS AND NOW WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THEM
1) Kaiba is running an Apple computer!! This episode first aired in Japan on the 5th of March 2002, so this is right after what’s called Apple’s “comeback” where Steve Jobs returned and brought unto the world those colourful aerodynamic iMacs and shortly thereafter, the first iPhone. Apple was up-and-coming, cool and techy but mainstream enough for your uncle to know what it was. The only surprising thing about Kaiba using it is that he doesn’t have his own KaibaCorp software to use instead.
2) The fact that (a) Apple exists in the world of YGO and (b) Kaiba uses it means that ALMOST CERTAINLY Kaiba is TRYING TO OUTDO STEVE JOBS as “cool young genius CEO in a black poloneck launches new technological product with ~showmanship~”. Like Seto Kaiba quite likely said, in canon, “fuck Steve Jobs, he thinks he’s cool? how about announcing a product while HANGING OUT OF A HELICOPTER, loser”.
3) Kaiba has shortcuts on his toolbar including several for Apple/Mac related things and one for MSN!!
I used to chat with my friends via MSN in like, 2004-2006 OFTEN ABOUT YGO and wow is this bringing back a weird confluence of memories Do you think he chats with Mokuba via MSN???
4) It appears he is running all sorts of things in the background including something to detect imposters (presumably on the network, not on the blimp).
5) This has nothing to do with characterisation or world-building but I’ve painstakingly figured out what most of the katakana words are so I’m going to share them with you!
ローカルマシン ゾーン = rōkara mashin zōn = local machine zone
サポート = sapōto = support
プリント = purinto = print (printer?)
ホーム = hōmu = home
メール = mēru = mail
トップページ = tōpupēji = top page
Sadly the kanji are too fuzzy to have any hope of me looking them up (although, like, some of them are underneath fairly obvious symbols to suggest their meaning…!)
ALSO seriously, “The Sun of God Dragon”, “The God of Obelisk” and “Saint Dragon - The God of Osiris”, we are ALL OVER THE SHOP on both Egyptology and the English language here.