Iris - messenger goddess of rainbows🌈🌈🌈
- Chrysopteron (Golden-winged)
- Podas ôkea (Swift-footed)
- Podênemos ôkea (Wind swift-footed)
- Roscida (Dewy)
- Thaumantias or Thaumantos (Daughter of Thaumas, Wondrous One)
- Aellopus (Ἀελλόπους) swift-footed like a storm-wind
She was often described as the handmaiden and personal messenger of Hera.
Iris was a goddess of sea and sky. Her father Thaumas “the wondrous” was a marine-god, and her mother Elektra “the amber” a cloud-nymph. She was the embodiment of rainbows and acted as a bridge between the gods and humans.
She was one of the few Olympians who was able to travel to the underworld, like Hermes (who also carries a winged staff). It was Iris’s job to collect water from the river Styx for the swearing solemn oaths. The water would render unconscious for one year any god or goddess who lied.
Traditional offerings to Her include figs, cakes, wheat and honey.
The rainbow is Her main symbol.
Sacred Plant: The flower the Iris was named after her.