This is honestly my favorite page in this whole book, let alone the whole series, so let me break down the various reasons why:
1. Peeves and Lupin clearly already knew each other. This page is your first hint that Remus Lupin may have been a bit of a trouble maker. Peeves already has a song and nicknames for him, and Lupin isn’t a bit surprised.
2. “Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers.” This reminds me of the way Fred and George relate to each other, or to Ginny. Its no surprise that F and G are the closest of the Weasleys, and what good friends they are with Ginny. They offered to send her a toilet seat, they are constantly pranking one another. They don’t show each other respect in the way they would a teacher per say, but respect between pranksters also includes some pranking and teasing among each other right?
This page is your first hint at the relationship between the Marauders and Peeves, and it delights me. Look at instances later of the way Peeves and the twins relate. Its similar.
3. Its like this scene is almost a test from Peeves to Lupin - is Lupin the same as the pranking teenager Peeves once new, or did he grow up?
4. And his answer is in that wonderful spell of Lupin’s. I cannot believe that this teacher, at his first lesson with these students, forcibly shoved a piece of chewing gum up Peeves’ nose. Lupin is clearly not the straight-laced, “play by the rules” type we in this fandom like to characterize him as.
5. Also, what better way to relate to and get on your students good side than to one-up the school poltergeist? Especially when your class is full of thirteen year olds.
6. REMUS. ALREADY. KNEW. DEAN’S. NAME. At this point, Lupin had not yet had a class with the Gryffindor third years. And, with seven years worth of classes times four houses - thats 28 classes worth of students whose names he had to learn. There is no reason he should already know the names of his new students - and yet he does.
And not like it’s Harry’s name either - Dean Thomas is kind of a nobody at this point, but Remus Lupin made it a point to KNOW HIS STUDENT’S NAME BEFORE HE HAD HIM IN CLASS.
7. This whole scene is a DIRECT CONTRAST to the scene before, in Snape’s class. In Snape’s class, we see him play favorites, we see him insult his students, we see him attempt to poison a child’s pet. Here, already, and we’re not even in class, we see Lupin relate to his students, treat them with respect and dignity (on the previous page he says, “Would you please put all your books back in your bags” - he uses “please” and other words that indicate respect). And we see him bother to learn his students names.
Remus John Lupin should’ve been a professor, alright? He should’ve. He’s so good at it. I love him. I love this page. I love POA.
So, what's the best thing your baby has done so far, Michael?
Y'know... she's, ah... she's been breathing a fair amount.
Shitting. Eating. And some pissing. That's most of what she does.
That's... you've described the first year pretty accurately, yeah.
And she's even more so because she's premature. So they were like, she'll literally just sleep for a month, just to catch up.
She was not ready to face the world yet.
She was and she wasn't. She felt like she was. She was a decent size, but, like, she was due fucking June 23rd, she was born May 24th.
Ain't even that now. That's class. Such an efficient pregnancy.
They said it'll take her about a month for her, for Lindsay, to get back up into shape, so she can be, like, fully functioning again. And I'm like, look at that. She's ahead of schedule. You were gonna be having the kid, now you'll be good to go. Now make my dinner. I'm here putting in the work, y'know. I gotta go do my job. Remember when you were a kid, and your dad went to work to play Minecraft? And then he came home and was like "Ah, long day at the office. The commute into Achievement City is bullshit."
Re: learning math, it seems a lot like art, when I tell people that they should do art they all go "oh I'm terrible at it!!" Yeah you are NOW but that's what the class is for we will teach you, talent is fake, it's all a lie, take the class and if your teacher isn't a pile of shit, they'll help you out. That being said, I can't calculate my way out of a paper bag, but math stuff like the Josephus problem and the Fibonacci sequence absolutely fascinate me. Math was cool but school ruined it lmao
THIS IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A FIELD THAT IS SURROUNDED IN MYSTICISM.