100 Harry Potter Prompts: Part 1
This list is #$@&%*! amazing, amigos! Thanks for all the submissions. Here is part 1:
- Parseltongues aren’t the only ones who
can talk to certain animals; There are a number of hereditary abilities that
allow wizards to understand and communicate with other species. You are a young
wizard who can understand birds, and it is driving you CRAZY.
- 10 years later, on the day of the battle
of Hogwarts. George is standing in front of the mirror, looking himself in the
eyes, wishing that his reflection was someone else.
- Harry Potter prompt: The Basilisk from
the Chamber of Secrets is back! …but now it’s the size of a thread snake.
- A muggle angered by the fact that there
are only 10 dragons in this world and 7 of them are European, sets off to find
- Your entire family is full of
Hufflepuffs, so during your sorting you begged the Sorting Hat to place you
there. Now you’re older and definitely a Slytherin and you need to hide it.
- Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes has an adult
section in the back.
- after Ron picks up the wrong hairs for a
polyjuice potion Hermione is making, the two find themselves in each other’s
- You are the new heir of Slytherin,
capable of opening the Chamber of Secrets and talking to snakes. On your first
visit you find the monster dead. Not that you care, you never hated muggles
anyway. Instead you start giving guided tours, charging a couple of Sickles for
each tour, trying your best not to make the teachers notice.
- You’re a muggle born sorted into
Slytherin of all places. The other students warn you that the Bloody Baron
hates muggles, but to your surprise, the ghost has somewhat of a different view
on muggleborns like you…
- Harry DOES get sorted into Slytherin when
he asks not to be and becomes best friends with Draco as well.
- No one knew Voldemort was the last line
of defence against them. Now he’s gone, and they are coming.
- Many years after the Dark Lord Voldemort
was killed, a new dark lord has come. He’s part of the ministry and the new
candidate for minister of magic..
- When Harry Potter dies in his first year
at Hogwarts, Hermoine Granger takes on the duty of defeating the dark lord and
succeeds in her task in the second year. The wizarding world is safe once
again. Describe how she managed this.
- Write about Hermiones struggles and
success as Minister of Magic.
- The dementors may suck the souls out of
their victims with their kiss, but what happens to the soul after that?
- As a young gifted wizard, Sirius Black
once found the Mirror of Erised; but what did he see as he glanced upon its
- Hagrid comes every year to celebrate Harry’s
- Harry never got a letter. He goes through
his day to day life as a muggle, never noticing obnoxiously weird things around
him. Write a day in the life of harry the muggle
- You’re invited to Tom riddle’s 6th
- Magical patronuses are extremely rare.
It’s said that only the pure or the purely evil can conjure them. You’re a
Slytherin trying to prove what they say about Slytherins is wrong. In Defence
against dark arts, you just found out your patronus is a Hungarian horntail.
- “Don’t worry, Potter,” said the
Dark Lord, “killing will get easier. And as my right hand man, you’ll need
to get used to it.”
- Au where Snape is the chosen one and
Harry is the Potions master
- In second year, Draco writes in the diary
of Tom Riddle instead, and gets some pretty sound advice.
- “You went to school for seven years
and THIS is what you use your skills on? Just- Just tell us why THIS branch of
- Harry’s a girl, and has to deal with all
the Voldemort shit when she has cramps so she’s extra pissed off.
- The Nimbus 3000 just came out, you are
one galleon short but you desperately want it, how will you get your hands on
the new broom?
- You somehow stumble into Filch’s office
and grab the nearest artifact before you escape.
- Both Harry and Neville are the ‘chosen
ones’. Only together are they able to defeat the Dark Lord. Unfortunately,
everyone thinks only Harry is the ‘chosen one’. Follow Neville and co. as they
discover the truth.
- Divination has a new muggle-born teacher,
who seems more intent on teaching useful life lessons than magic.
- “You’re a wizard, Hermione.”
- “How many times have I told you to
leave your dragons in Romania?!”
- “You’re a wizard, Harry.”
- All the Harry Potter character have
switch roles, so that the heroes are now the villains. Who’s who and what
- Mcgonagall, after noticing Harry’s letter
is being ignored, goes to the Dursleys to check on the young wizard.
- Harry wonders what the fuck kinda school
this is when Dumbledore says “ The third floor corridor is out of bounds
for anyone that doesn’t want to die a most painful death.”
- Hermione Granger is one of those kids who
is in classes meant for those a few years older than her, she is a genius.
- You are a muggle, yet direct magic doesn’t
affect you, you wander into Hogwarts, you are not harmed by the shriek of
mandrake plants, a basilisk cannot petrify you, magical devices break at your
touch. you are a magic null.
- You thought you’d made a simple mistake
in potions. As you sit outside the headmaster’s office, straining to hear the
grave conversation from behind the door, it dawns on you that your error
couldn’t have been as simple as it seemed.
- Harry goes on a journey of self-love by
hiking around an Arby’s parking lot at 2am.
- The series is entirely the same but
Voldemort and Snape have swapped noses .
- A day in the life of Dobby.
- Lucius is sacrificed by Voldemort and
dies in the Wizarding War leaving pregnant Narcissa disillusioned and scared.
She seeks help from Dumbledore and becomes a double agent.
- “Hmm, courage… yes… plenty of
intelligence too! Very loyal… but crafty… hmm. Tricky, very tricky. I’m
sorry, but you don’t seem to belong in any specific house. Better be…
- Harry and Ron/Hermione and Ginny become
the canon ships.
- Hermione and Ron visit America for a
family vacation. Write about their adventures.
- Sassy harry calling Snape and Dumbledore
out on their bullshit 24/7.
- Ravenclaws have a chamber of secrets, but
it’s just a library of infinite knowledge too nerdy to touch.
- Post-apocalyptic Draco and Harry, where
Draco needs the help of Harry in order for both of them to survive.
- You thought you were a muggle-born
witch/wizard and then you find one of your long before ancestors in the portraits
of the school’s corridors.
- You can do magic without a wand. You are
the second most wanted after Voldemort.
- Disco balls and disco and lgbt folks at Hogwarts
- A student is accepted into Hogwarts only
to find out it was a mistake and they don’t actually have any magical
abilities. Tell their story of trying to make it through Hogwarts after all
- Remus Lupin adopts Harry. He never lived with the Dursleys. Tell us his
happy Wizarding Childhood.
- You’re a historian writing a critical
paper on The Battle Of Hogwarts. You believe the existing discourse has ignored
the significance of one woman: Mrs Norris. Write a paper discussing her
much-maligned role in the Battle of Hogwarts.
- A story about the lonely, never-useful
life of Snape’s shampoo bottle.
- Rumour has it the new Defense against the
Dark Arts teacher has already arrived and is hiding. Whoever finds them gets
500 points for their house.
- write the wizarding sex ed pamphlet that
gets handed out to fifth years.
- everything’s the same except every
character is a lizard.
- Describe the three trials in the next
- “Nobody knew about the fifth
Hogwarts founder, and the secret they hid in the castle… until now”
- Minerva McGonagall is quite puzzled by
Dumbledore’s recent hires for Defense Against the Dark Arts, and would like to
have a serious talk with him about it.
- You decide to try flying on a broom just
for shits and giggles. It works, and now you need help. A lot of help.
- The previous magical protection of the
prime minister has been retired. You have taken their place.
- The Wizarding World decided it’s time to
- Doleres Umbridge is now the head teacher
of Hogwarts and president Snow form panel is the minister for magic. They have
reinvented the triwizard tournament to have aspects of the hunger games. Tell
the story of this year’s tributes.
- “When I wished to be part of the
world of Harry Potter, I was hoping for an acceptance letter to Hogwarts, not
for the bridge I was crossing to be demolished by death eaters on my way home
- You are a squib from a long line of
witches and wizards who has never made any contact with the Muggle world. Today
is your first day of high school.
- Hermione blinked. “You’re right, Ron.
I’ve been doing it wrong all this time.”
- Through a series of events, you land
yourself in the world of Harry Potter. The catch? You’ve never read a word from
the books and have absolutely no clue what’s going on.
- The entire series but everyone is emo as
- You are Harry Potter’s less famous twin
sibling. All you want is a quiet wizarding school life.
- Write the science behind magic.
- You are in the infamous library where no
books have titles. Somehow, you pick up Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s
Stone. You want to help in any way you can.
- “The wand chooses the wizard”
except this time three have chosen the same master. And they’re attempting to
duel each other.
- Re-write one of the quidditch chapters
from the perspective of the snitch.
- Harry being raised by Sirius and Remus
because they actually caught Wormtail
- Dumbledore reads My Immortal and thinks
it’s really good.
- “The Death Eaters stole this from
the Muggles. What is it, Hermione?”
“Ron, I…I think it’s a Nuke.” "WICKED! Dad’s gonna love this!“
- Draco and Ron get in a wizard’s fight;
Harry has to reveal his love for Draco by protecting him.
- While looking through Filch’s files of
rescinded objects, you find something extremely dangerous. Just as you put it
in your pocket for later investigation, you get caught by Peeves the
- A deaf Ravenclaw, a disabled Slytherin, a
mute Gryffindor, and a black trans Hufflepuff help together to cope with each
- You’ve just received a Howler in front of
the whole school. What does it say and how does the school react?
- A very derpy Dementor who doesn’t even
try and suck souls, but just wants to be friends with everyone and gets sad
easily so everyone has to cheer it up.
- As it turns out, Neville is the strongest
wizard of all.
- Write a love story about Dumbledore and
- Your boggart and your reflection in the
Mirror of Erised show the same thing.
- Who maintains the enchanted ceiling at
Hogwarts? How did they get the job and what’s their life like?
- Finally, Hogwarts gets its Wi-Fi hotspot.
- After a traumatising first year at
Hogwarts, Ginny Weasley has to learn to deal with the long-term psychological
effects of having been possessed by a dark wizard.
- Someone didn’t focus enough when trying
to apparate somewhere and somehow wound up on Mars.
- You show someone the Mirror of Erised for
the first time. You ask what they see, and they just look at you strangely.
“What? Did you forget how mirrors work? I just see us.”
- A story written from the perspective of a
student who died in the battle of Hogwarts, and is now a ghost there.
- Hogwarts wants to open a school in
another part of the world.
- It’s been a hundred years, or so, and
you’re still stuck in this dusty, shabby place. As a wand, it would be nice if
you could finally choose the perfect wizard to wield you.
- You hide pictures of Voldemort in
most unusual places to freak other
- AU where all spells are imaginary.
They’re basically running around with sticks yelling nonsense.
- The DA learned their most important
lesson from Hermione - always bring a gun to a wand fight.
- Write about the day the magical world
discovered internet (and proceeded to make their own WizNet)
- Harry Potter where Harry’s dad survived
but is left emotionally destroyed by Voldemort’s attack.
- Harry Potter lowers his wand at himself. He swore he would rid the world of Horcruxes. He was about to make good on that promise.
Let’s make a new list right away. Do you have a prompt for us?