Netflix’s ‘The Legend of Monkey’ is the latest adaptation of Asian literature to be accused of whitewashing
- We may have yet another case of whitewashing on our hands.
- Netflix, TVNZ and ABC Australia are teaming up to create The Legend of Monkey, a television adaptation based on Journey to the West, a famed Chinese piece of literature that dates back to the 16th century.
- And while this would appear to be a great opportunity to cast some young and upcoming Chinese actors, it seems this will go down as a missed opportunity.
- the announced cast of The Legend of Monkey seems to be inexplicably non-Chinese.
- According to Deadline, the series cast will include Chai Hansen as Monkey, Luciane Buchanan as Tripitaka, Josh Thomson as Pigsy and Emilie Cocquerel as Sandy.
- Nextshark points out that the only main cast member of Asian descent is Chai Hansen, who is half Thai. Read more (4/25/17)