I just love how Yuuri is a fusion of Tatsuki and Daisuke. Somehow I think this could have been the intended plan for a quite a while before the project got off the ground. And then Yamamoto/Kubo realized they had to make Yuzu part of it as well, because of his meteoric rise and popularity, so they threw in bits and pieces as references to him and distributed them onto several characters. At least this is how it seems to me. I might be completely wrong though. XD
Anon you’re very close to the truth. I think I got it all figured out. Yuri on Ice is basically Kubo’s Tatsuki Machida x Daisuke Takahashi AU fic. And allow me to explain how.
They masked the whole story by making Yuuri look up to a Russian skater Victor thus making people think of Yuzuru Hanyu and Evgeni Plushenko. BUT Yuzuru just looked up to Plushenko and they probably hugged twice and that’s it. Plushenko is only a small part of Victor.
In the anime Yuuri is very obviously attracted to Victor and then falls in love with him and Victor returns his feelings. This is where Kubo (with the help of Kenji Miyamoto I bet) wrote her AU Machida x Takahashi fic. Here’s why:
- Tatsuki looked up to Daisuke ever since he was super young and star struck (gifset)
- Although Tatsuki was living in Hiroshima he traveled to Kurashiki just to go to the same high school / rink as Daisuke
- After he graduated high school he moved to Osaka and went to the same university / skating club as Daisuke (Kansai)
- When he was 15 he was interviewed cheering 19 year old Daisuke at the 2006 Olympics; at the 2014 Olympics they competed together (gifset)
- They gradually got closer and became good friends and shared a room during the Sochi Olympics where they had McDonald’s picnic in bed, danced together and who knows what else (I’m not making this up, they talked about it)
- After Sochi, Tatsuki choreographed and skated a program called Je Te Veux which was rumored to be dedicated to Daisuke. See the program here.
- They were cute together see pics: A, B, C, D, E
- When Daisuke retired Tatsuki wrote a longass letter to him in which he said he was devastated by his departure from competitive skating and that he wished more opportunities for them to appear together in ice shows would appear (but they only reunited in October this year)
- The theme of Tatsuki’s last short program set to Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra was “tragic love” and he said it was inspired by his personal experiences
- When Tatsuki retired Daisuke said he was very shocked and he still thinks he had a lot more to offer
- Daisuke made a surprise appearance (arranged by Tatsuki’s coach) at Tatsuki’s farewell party at his rink and held a speech
- Look how happy Tatsuki was about the surprise: A. B
Does it sound/look familiar? I’ll leave it up to you guys. Just know that Kenji Miyamoto is one of Daisuke’s best friends.