Yuzuru’s exhibition performances (my favorite)
My previous post about his competitive performances: http://chibura.tumblr.com/post/154859420700/yuzurus-best-competitive-performances-my
Yuzuru is very versatile. He can perform to USUK pop, rock, lyrical, classical, jazz, Broadway, Japanese traditional music… and still makes it works. Below are some of his performances in ice shows and galas that I like.
1) Hana wa saku (Flowers Will Bloom):
NHK produced the song “Hana wa Saku” (Flowers Will Bloom) to build public support for the “March 11 2011 disaster” recovery efforts. The disaster happened in Yuzuru’s hometown and it affected him and so many people. Yuzuru performed to this song with so emotionally and got a standing ovation for it: https://youtu.be/sGdx9EaMXqA
This performance shows the cool and energetic side of Yuzuru. The song was performed by his favorite rock band. Yuzuru is actually a young man who loves rock and fast/strong music. He loves dancing and making cool movements. This is the childlike and energetic side of Yuzuru: https://youtu.be/x_QJo3ItJFI
3) Hana ni nare (Become a Flower):
This amazing song also has a connection to the “March 11, 2011 disaster”. This performance shows the naturally delicate and elegant side of Yuzuru. He is like a fairy in this performance: https://youtu.be/QRqGb3zH9xU
It was the legendary coach Ms. Tatiana Tarasova who suggested Yuzuru the song “Notte Stellata (The Swan)” by Il Volo and sent a CD to him. She sent him a CD with this song as a present. Yuzuru accepted this request and had David Wilson to choreograph for him. For this performance, Yuzuru wants to express “the feeling of embracing everything gently and moving forward”: https://youtu.be/Hm_s-nBSORE
5) Hello I love you
This exhibition program was choreographed by Kurt Browning, 4 time World Champion, the legendary Canadian who adores Yuzuru a lot. He really loves the cool and manly side of Yuzuru. Kurt said he loved choreographing for Yuzuru as Yuzuru hit exactly the music notes and the choreographic movements he’d like Yuzuru to do. This is a very manly Yuzuru: https://youtu.be/zhFL_HBNDwE
This was the exhibition Yuzuru did when he won his first GPF title in 2013. Everything bigger started from this competition. This was the beginning of the journey. The British commentators said “he was destined for great things”: https://youtu.be/27y8IgCcsBY
7) Time traveler
This song was originally written in Japanese. The singer later rewrote it in English so Yuzuru can skate to it in international galas. Please notice that Yuzuru never skates to Japanese lyrics outside of Japan. He looks really like a prince here in this performance. He did 4T and 3A in this ice show in a very small rink. Usually, skaters do not do such difficult jumps in ice shows. But Yuzuru is Yuzuru after all, he always likes showing off: https://youtu.be/E3th5CFvoOY
8) Requiem of Heaven and Earth
This exhibition performance Yuzuru did at the gala of World Championship 2016 at Boston. The music was also dedicated to the Earthquake victims. Yuzuru was badly injured at this point. His left foot was swollen badly and he was forced to rest from training for the whole summer. No ice show, no practice, no skating, no jump at all for several months. When he resumed his training again, it was incredibly hard as he had to relearn technique from the single jumps. This is a very emotional skate: https://youtu.be/9Fvzo6DkbMo
9) Somebody to love
This is Yuzuru at age 16 when he won his first GP title - Rostelecom Cup in Russia 2011. This Yuzuru was an energetic kid and the pressure did not get to him at this point: https://youtu.be/NhXJkoXiBp4
10) Sometimes skaters reuse their competitive programs as exhibition programs. For example, Yuzuru reused a part of his Romeo and Juliet 1.0 free skate at World Championship 2014 gala. This performance did not a supernova like what happened in Nice in 2012 but it was nostalgic and beautiful nevertheless: https://youtu.be/DEHbk60QzjM
11) Yuzuru skated to White Legend short program at Sochi Olympic Gala after winning the gold. This music is actually an arrangement of Swan Lake, maybe that’s why he thought Russian audience would appreciate it. It was also the first program Yuzuru performed after the big earthquake so it has much meaning to him: https://youtu.be/_8TLD10Rzug
12) Parisienne Walkway at World Team Trophy 2015 gala. This was the ending of a crazy season in which Yuzuru had to suffer a back injury before Finlandia which resulted in a withdrawal, a collision at CoC 2014, surgery right after National, bad ankle injury right before World Championship. It was like a promise that he would reborn and become stronger: https://youtu.be/hZFROWbQyIY
Photos were collected over the years so I do not know the source, sorry.
Ps: some videos run on desktop interface only. If you’re using mobile, please switch to laptop or desktop.