1. He was born in 1865 at Marlborough House in London
2. He was the second son and the only son to make it into his thirties.
3. He was not destined to be King instead his elder brother Prince Albert Victor Duke of Clarence more commonly known as Prince Eddy had that destiny until he succumbed to influenza in 1892, when Eddy died George not only inherited his destiny but also Eddy’s fiance Princess Mary of Teck.
4. His favourite pastimes including stamp collecting, he had one the finest collection of stamps in the world and shooting in his day he was considered one of the finest shots in the country.
5. Despite movie portrayals George was a slim man of about 5′7 with big blue eyes and a trademark beard, he had a clear ringing voice as opposed to what we often hear fictional depictions. His wife Mary noted in her diary about his deep red lips which she found to be very attractive.
6. George was the emperor of the largest empire that this world has ever seen.
7. George had six children, Edward known as David to the family born in 1894, Albert known as Bertie and eventually George VI in 1895, Mary in 1897, Henry known as Harry in 1900, George in 1902 and finally John in 1905.
8. Despite rumors, George loved his wife very much and unlike his father he never took a mistress notably saying that he was not interested in any other woman other than his wife.
9. George was extremely close to his granddaughters Elizabeth II who he referred to as Lilibet, who he was completely smitten with and Margret Rose.