A couple of months ago (or like a year or more ago idk when it came out) I was reading a lot of Cap fics because I was charmed by Cap 2 and I noticed this was happening a lot. You could have the whole team there, plus everyone important in Cap 2, but not Thor.. and sometimes, that was even the better case, because the worst case involved Thor being there, but talking in caps lock and generally being the worse cliche. I remember specifically reading one Steve/Bucky fic in which Thor had exactly one line and it was so horrifyingly dumb that I spent the next ten minutes pondering whether or not I would continue reading even though I loved the characterization of the main characters of the fic. It made me question - can I really trust this author? This is horrible.
So yeah.. I don’t know, it’s true that it is hard to write the avengers as an ensemble. I think I might also opt to leave a character out if I didn’t know how to write them, rather than write them badly.
But idk, are you a person writing an ensemble avengers fic, with whatever pairing? Consider Thor that:
- is willing to listen and offer advice
- talks like everyone else, only with the use of slightly unusual nouns and tiiiiiiny bit more formality
- likes eating and drinking well but it hardly occupies all his thoughts
- is able to speak quietly
- knows how to use all technology available, or at the very least learns it after the first try or explanation
- understands every interaction between people, ranging anywhere from sarcasm to sex
- idk just generally is a good, trustworthy dude that knows how to have fun but also isn’t to be messed with if you are really pissing him of or are his enemy