I thought I might just summarise what’s happening over in Syria.
• Aleppo, the biggest city in Syria, was a stronghold for the Syrian resistance in the Civil War
• The resistance are a collection of various rebel groups that have been fighting against the oppressive President Bashar al-Assad since March 2011
• In the last few days, after a long offensive led by Assad’s forces and supported by militants from Russia, Iran and Hezbollah, Aleppo fell to government forces
• The surviving civilians remain at high risk of being shot or bombed as hostile armies target their attacks at residential districts and hospitals
• Escape routes are blockaded by hostile militants who hold anyone trying to leave Aleppo hostage (if they’re captured) and threaten them with death
• So, the survivors are trapped in a besieged city with dwindling supplies of food, water and medicine/instruments, and it is very VERY difficult for aid organisations to access and help those in desperate need
• On top of that, this genocide is receiving very minimal media attention in Western countries like Australia
We cannot let this stand. Besides donating (which is so important if you can spare the money!), raising social awareness is CRUCIAL to ensure that the cries of the innocent adults and children being persecuted in Syria do not go unheard.
Please, learn more about the crisis. Reblog all the tumblr posts, share all the Facebook posts and retweet all the tweets you come across. Talk to people and educate others. Attend protests and vigils. Actively show your solidarity with the victims and stand up against tyranny and power abuse.
Most importantly, stand with ALEPPO.
Do not let them suffer in silence, alone.
The Russian ambassador to Ankara was shot dead in an attack at an art
gallery in the Turkish capital on Monday by a gunman shouting “Don’t
A Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman confirmed
the death of envoy Andrey Karlov, which marked one of the most serious
spillovers of the Syria conflict into Turkey.
Russia is a close
ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and its air strikes were
instrumental in helping Syrian forces end rebel resistance last week in
the northern city of Aleppo.
The Anadolu news agency said the
gunman had been “neutralized” soon after the attack, Relations between
Moscow and Ankara have long been fraught over the conflict, with the two
supporting opposing sides.
The attacker was smartly dressed in
black suit and tie, and standing behind the ambassador as he made a
speech at the art exhibition, a person at the scene told Reuters.
took out his gun and shot the ambassador from behind. We saw him lying
on the floor and then we ran out,” said the witness, who asked not to be
A Reuters cameraman at the scene said gunfire rang out for some time after the attack.
A video showed the attacker shouting: “Don’t forget Aleppo, don’t forget Syria!”
screams rang out, the gunman could then be seen pacing about and
shouting as he held the gun in one hand and waved the other in the air.
Photos: (from top) AP Photo, Stringer/AFP/Getty Images, AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici, Umit Bektas/Reuters
On this day, Guru Hargobind Sahib freed 52 captive kings from Mughal tyranny in Gwalior jail, showing that his Panth is one that does not stand by watching injustices happen.
Today, our Panth is fighting to break the shackles of tyranny in Punjab, on top of that Kashmiris in the north continue their resistance, and Syrian refugees are struggling to escape the grips of war, trauma, and xenophobia.
Let us use this day as a day of action to mobilize around these issues so that one day these shackles may be broken, and the light of justice may break through the dark clouds of injustice.
May you have a blessed Bandi Chhor Divas and Diwali. <3