A Real new hockey fans guide: By someone who was sick of the tumblr bias posts
- Yes sidney crosby is the best forward but it depends what you’re looking for. Sid is generally considered the best because he has the best balance of defensive and offensive talent. But there are other players like Ovechkin, Bergeron, Tavares, McDavid, ect ect ect. who are the best at their own thing and who you consider the best is up to what you think the Best entails. most people just consider Sid’s all around prowess The Best.
- Not everyone thinks high scoring is what makes a d-man. but recently because Goaltending has gone up and scoring has gone down, it’s been the priority to score rather than defend. that means you’re not going to hear about shut down d-men…or if you do it probably isn’t because they’re shut down d-men. You’re more likely to hear about guys like Keith, Letang, and Karlsson. who are all good at their game…but don’t forget the quiet guys like Hedman, Chara, Ekblad ect. their job is to make the game “less fun” so it’s okay to not notice them. but they’re there and they’re good.
- Carey Price is generally considered the best goaltender. But goaltending is not as spread out as the media and tumblr will have you think. Yes even I think Price is the best but I don’t think he’s so untouchable and every other goalie is a scrub. The media and tumblr are drama queens, we like to exaggerate things and follow story lines. It’s not fun for halfway through the season for us to be like “uh we were wrong about the price being untouchable, so now we’re going with Dubnyk as untouchable” no one is going to buy that. Respect Price, but respect the guys putting up the same numbers, they also exist.
- Trends in the league are like waves, Good teams go down as the bad teams go up. And they don’t happen at the same time, it’s all wonky and if you graphed it it may just look like a bunch of scribbles. But just because you joined the fandom and one team is The Best, it won’t stay that way and it probably wasn’t that was a few years ago. So just because everyone is crying over a specific team being the best, remember to stay grounded. Because it’s gonna end soon and it probably just started. In 2013 the Boston Bruins overwhelmingly swept the pittsburgh penguins where David Krejci was leading the Post Season points and Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang did not score.
- Never be one of the “everyone likes…” guys because trust me. We’ve been here for years and enough of us have plenty of reasons to not like so and so.
- A lot of shit happened in the league and al lot of players have been accused of pretty bad things. If you care about this a good google search will not lead you wrong. But stop asking us why “everyone hates blank” if we don’t talk about it readily it’s probably because we don’t WANT to.
- A lot of us do like and read check please but the NHL is NOT check please. so please stop comparing and treating our favorite players like fictional characters. Sidney Crosby is not Jack. Evgeni Malkin is not tater ect. ect. They may be based off of them but respect Ngozi’s characters are individuals and real life human beings as individuals.
Besides how can it be real life if sidney crosby is dating someone not geno
- JUST BECUASE A PLAYER WAS A BAD GUY IN A FIC IS NOT A GOOD REASON TO DISLIKE THEM IN REAL LIFE
- Fights and Hits and aggression is part of hockey. No one is going after your Baby ™ because they want to hurt them personally. It’s the game. Guys fight each other who are best friends off the ice. But it’s literally a different world for them on the ice. Do not get offended because two men consented to a fight. and clean hits are still clean if your fav player is on the receiving end
- There is a difference between chirping and insulting. learn it. don’t insult and don’t get offended by chirps. Or do. Just don’t expect to be taken seriously.
- The Playoffs is when things quickly go form “haha this is fun” to literal murder time please be prepared.
- Please get involved in other teams besides yours. I know a lot of us have our One True Team (OTT) and I get that I do too, but involving yourself in the rest of the league is the only way to really understand the game. You can’t just look at one team and say “our best player is best in the league” consider the other players. And Maybe you don’t awnt to truely understand the NHl and that’s just as good trust me i wish i was in that boat. Involve yourselves in other teams, interact with rivals, search tags you might not usually. Get to know people and teams.
- don’t let any of us fool you we all weren’t stoked about Team NA and the world cup but then it happened and we all did a 180 so quick.