MOTHER FEAR: Now he did very well until this part, but he let friendship get in the way. He just might have escaped by himself. We’ll have to give Mr Solo a C- on this.
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Episode 2:12 - “The Children’s Day Affair.
- In which The Man From U.N.C.L.E. invents hurt-comfort.
- Illya certainly manages to attract sadists, doesn’t he? He’s seems to be forever getting captured by people who get a certain… thrill out of doing painful and humiliating things to him.
- Mind you, I think Mother Fear is one of the all time great TMFU villains. And I find myself imagining her and Edith Partridge taking afternoon tea together.
- And while Illya gets flogged, and Napoleon gets tortured by… toy train. Hmmmm….
- This episode kicks off with a bit of a blooper: you see Napoleon and Illya driving down a road in a sports car which has clearly had its windshield removed for easier filming. The windshield is as clearly there in the long shots! The same thing is apparent later in the episode with Napoleon and Ilya’s getaway car.
- There’s also quite a bit of obvious moving from outdoor locations to studio sets from shot to shot.
- Carping aside, this is a great episode, choc full o’ MFU goodness. To begin with, there’s the school for juvenile THRUSH agents. This is the second THRUSH school we’ve seen this season. Which leads to me to imagine a branch of THRUSH solely dedicated to sourcing school supplies.
- However, they are well rounded juvenile THRUSH agents. They study the arts as well as assassination.
- THRUSH also seems to have a thing for deadly baked goods. Bazooka baguettes! Exploding cakes!
- And lets not forget the old remote-controlled-bomb-in-the-box-of-chocolates trick. Always a THRUSH favourite!
- If Napoleon gets a C- for trying to help Illya, then he definitely gets a fail for leaving the Innocent to guard a captured THRUSH cell all night on her own. What, Napoleon couldn’t have called U.N.C.L.E. for backup while he was on the way to the school?