Some more Doclara things because inundating the fandom is my self-imposed job on this blog aside from RP:
- Spontaneous dancing is a thing that happens. Especially bc Emmett is a hopeless romantic, and especially when he’s not really doing anything else at the time. Hi. I’m bored. Dance with me. I love you.
- She’ll turn the tables on him sometimes though when her husband’s gone a bit too deep into Hyperfocus Mode while in the lab. Just a slow waltz until she can tell his eyes are no longer focused about 9 dimensions away from Earth. Welcome back. You’ve been in here for 12 hours do you want to try and take a break and eat something? He’ll give her a twirl and wait a couple minutes before responding, just dancing.
- They’ll also do going to dances things because when you have access to all of time
and space, you can find some pretty dang classy places for dates. They keep picking up new styles and can actually really kill it together out there.
- Clara also learned to speak French long ago
because they’re both the steampunk equivalent of a weeabo. She’s actually a lot better at it than Emmett.
- They practice speaking it with each other for several months before taking a trip to 19th-century France to be able to meet a certain author. They’re both sort of intensely awkward and overexcited and starstruck and jabbering on about how his work was an inspiration and how it was part of the reason they got married and thank you sir you don’t know how much of an honor it is! Jules Verne never actually forgets the impression of these two highly peculiar fans, and the experience of putting a signature into that many books at once, some of which he’s pretty sure he did not actually write yet.
- Meanwhile they’re just geeking out about it for months. Like oh my God that actually happened we actually got to do that.
- They have a few other squee-worthy trips in time which I can’t really think of the details rn aside from there’s a lot of meeting scientists and astronomers and maybe the far future when space travel is a lot less of a big deal.
Then there’s antigravity dancing
- Anyway my point is even after 10 years they’re still enormous dorks it’s their dynamic.
- …So Clara going back to teaching in the future is all well and good but like… Clara going to college in the future because she’s a bright thing and deserves to know and do more in the world than what the 19th century would allow to her, namely teaching.
- Emmett is very very proud and delighted to tutor her.
- He’s been doing that for a while, actually, in a way. She likes questions and he likes talking about science.
Kickass (astro)physicist/engineer PhD power couple
- They are definitely and very frequently highly embarrassing to their children. They are happy, and don’t really care. The boys eventually grow into an amused-eyeroll-type reaction at their dorky antics.