johnlock date night ideas:
- the opera/ballet which is secretly sherlock’s favorite and he never tells john that because he doesn’t think john would enjoy it but finally john catches on and he surprises sherlock with tickets and sherlock gets a little wobbly and john kisses him and they both have a really nice time
- sherlock takes john to a planetarium. they sneak in boxes of milk duds and share sticky kisses and giggle in the back and learn nothing at all.
- they go to all these tiny little restaurants, little hole-in-the-wall places where sherlock knows the owner, or the cook, or the waiter, and they get forkfuls of samples brought out hot from the kitchen and sometimes tours of the kitchen or asked their opinion on the menu, and there’s always a candle, even if sometimes it’s just a tea light that john had hidden in his coat pocket
- cinema. they go to a super late night showing of something that’s been out for a while so they’re the only ones in the theatre, and they get a huge bucket of popcorn with extra butter, and then talk and yell at the screen and finally when sherlock deduces they end they just slouch down in their seats and make out like teenagers.
- crashing parties. weddings, corporate receptions, open houses, stag dos, whatever they can find. the game isn’t to go eat all their hor d’oeuvres, obviously, though they do, the game is to see if they can get in, to see how long they can stay, to see if they can sham their way through it. john, somehow, is better at this than sherlock, which baffles sherlock and to which john responds only, “we had very different uni experiences i think.”
- museums, and this one is actually serious, which surprised sherlock at first. but john gets really into it, and he likes to read all the plaques (he takes forever) and they get into these big debates about different styles of art and the british colonial thefts and what should be done with the artifacts now, and sherlock actually ends up taking a few cases to help resolve some ownership issues and return some debated artifacts to the rightful owners when he’s able.
- sherlock pulls a few favors and finally gets john up behind the face of big ben, and they slow dance to the sound of the rain on the clock face, to the sound of the clock’s machinations, to the sound of their hearts beating in sync with the rhythm of their city.
- and they laugh, and they kiss, and they run and chase and dare and risk and come home, and it could be fantastic or it could be mundane and it doesn’t matter what they do, not really, because they can finally do it together.