Recipe "Sunny Mushroom Nuggets"
(makes a full baking sheet of nuggets – about 22+)
¼ tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
½ cup nutritional yeast ++ (add more if you’d like more cheezy flavor)
1 Tbsp mushroom powder
¼ tsp sea salt (to taste)
a few dashes pepper (to taste)
2 Tbsp salt-free spice blend (like Mrs Dash)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
¾ cup water (or veggie broth for added flavor – if using broth remove the added salt)
1 ½ cups TVP or TSP (textured veggie protein)
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 ½ cups mushrooms, chopped
1/3 cup diced sweet onion – optional (omit for onion-opposed kids)
½ cup flour
Saute in 1-2 Tbsp safflower oil
How to do
1. Combine all the spices in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add in the liquids and the base ingredients. Grab a large fork and start mashing well – especially the beans. Try to break them down as much as possible so they provide a sticky agent which binds the mixture. The TVP will begin absorbing the liquid as well to thicken the mix.
3. Next, add in the flour for the final step. You can add in a tablespoon at a time until you are comfortable with the consistency. You want the mixture to be like a very wet bean patty.
4. Turn a nonstick skillet on med-high heat – add about 1-2 Tbsp of safflower oil. Safflower oil is perfect because it gives these nuggets crispy edges.
5. When oil is hot, grab golf ball sized balls and roll in a big of flour (I like to also roll in some nutritional yeast for added savory flavor) – then plop onto skillet. Allow each side to cook for about a minute or two. Try not to burn, but you do want a nice brown color to the exterior.
6. Place on a paper towel to rest a few minutes – they will further bind as they cool – serve hot.