While all the other members had been friends with at least one of each even before they came together as jekki, Suwon was the only one who had a formal audition and was a ‘stranger’. And he often says he became a member just so that jekki can have one more member than H.O.T.
But ironically, Suwon was the ONLY one who kept in touch with all the members for 16 years, and the one who wanted a reunion the most.
1. Suwon and Jiwon
I almost forgot, my dongsaeng Jang Suwon finally gets discharged in two days and comes back as a singerㅋㅋ Jekki fans rise~~~ (Sorry) Good night^^*
-10/18/2011, Jiwon’s twitter
Jang Suwon discharged… Good job Suwon, I’m proud of you
-10/18/2011, Jiwon’s twitter
2. Suwon and Sunghoon
I’m just seeing my friend… Why do people have so much to say about it
-09/06/2013, Suwon’s twitter
Is everyone doing well?ㅎ Tomorrow, our Sunghoon-ie’s new song is coming out.! Everyone please leave everything behind and listen to it tomorrow at 12.! You’ll do it without me telling you to, anyways. This is an order!!ㅋㅋ Thank you, and I beg youㅎ
- 04/14/2014, Suwon’s twitter
3. Suwon and Jaeduck aka J-Walk (one post will not be enough to cover the history of these two)
Jaeduck: To be honest, we still don’t know why Jekki disbanded. We need to do it again someday. But even if Jekki can’t get back together, I’m never going to separate from Suwon. It was Suwon who helped me get back up after Jekki disbanded.
Suwon: When we debuted as J-Walk, people said things like “What can the two of you do? Things are different now”. So we worked even harder so that we won’t disappoint our fans. Maybe that’s why we’ve gotten comments about how our music is more mature than jekki’s. One day, Jekki will get back together. But not now. We have to work hard and improve ourselves before that day comes.
-2002, J-Walk Interview
People have been saying he should use this as a chance to become a solo artist Jang Suwon. Jang Suwon laughed and dismissed this saying ‘No because Jaeduck hyung will desert’. “I’ve never been apart from Jaeduck hyung. Even when we couldn’t do anything for 3 years because of issues with our company, he was there with me. Members of Clon and Can are around 10 years older than us but both groups are still together. Sending Jaeduck hyung to military, I thought I want us to be like them. I’ll just remain as a J-Walk member.”
-2008, Suwon’s Interview
4. Suwon and Jaejin
Ay~ Drunkard do you still live in alcohol barrel? Come down to Gangnam! Call me when you do~ Also I’m adding you on Cyworld~ Your nose is still big^^
-10/20/2004, Jaejin’s wall on Cyworld
5. Suwon and Jiyong
Suwon: Do you want me to call him right now? We’re still in touch, and I just saw him recently. And actually, not too long ago, Jiyong’s name appeared #1 on trending search. So I texted him ‘Why is your wedding such a big deal’, and he said he was surprised too. From his perspective, he wasn’t trying to tell people about it so it must’ve been a little overwhelming. But we think it’s a good thing. People still remember him, and care about him.
-12/05/2013, J-Walk Interview
6. Suwon and the fans
^Suwon meeting his fans in 2015 at a restaurant; this is honestly so precious and made me realize how close he is to his fans. For a while, Suwon kept two phones so that his fans could text him. He used to sing at old fans’ weddings too.
Sometimes it really amazes me how smooth he is in terms of relationships. He seems to have a really solid understanding of each member, and knows how to compliment them and make them feel better. He’s so good at making fun of them, but also knows the perfect timing to stop. People call him a robot, but deep in his heart, he knows us fans think of him as a superstar and he prides in that. Humble, but confident.
Let’s all appreciate Suwon. His self-esteem, his smoothness, his loyalty, his singing, his dancing, and of course, his face.
• first fandom to write boyxboy fanfics: yellowkies (formerly known as d.s.f)
• first group to use official colors: h.o.t
• h.o.t fans scratched and vandalized sechskies’ van, so sechskies fans poked holes in the h.o.t van tires for revenge
• sechskies almost debuted under the name yukgaejang (a spicy beef stew type of food). a random producer saved them from their miserable future.
• sechskies’ official colors were originally red and yellow, later changed to just yellow
• whenever h.o.t held concerts, half the population of most female high schools skipped school that day
• a fan came up to jaeduk of sechskies with a bloody nose to tell him that she fought with 3 h.o.t fans and won. he was very proud
• when sechskies first debuted, they were the team w the most members in one team with 6 members. so talk show hosts would freak the fuck out when they saw how many there were
• h.o.t fans couldn’t get into the broadcast station to watch their oppas perform bc there were too many of them. Kept pushing on the metal gates, the gates tore down, and the fans pretended to be sechskies fans by starting to sing sechskies’ couple to avoid issues
• their DNAs were sold in little plastic bottles made into necklaces i shit u not. they took actual hair/skin/nail samples from the members
• dsp media (formerly known as daesung ent) faked album sales of sechskies to not pay as much tax. got exposed, had to pay a fine ((that piece of shit company))
~Just for fun; some of these have been passed down for almost 20 years and might not necessarily be true~
1. Eun Ji Won really liked Ko Ji Yong’s Benz (there were only few of the same model available in Korea at that time) so he asked his parents to buy him the same car. He was scolded by his father and got a BMW instead. So Ji Won often got on Ji Yong’s car and went for a drive together.
2.Eun Ji Won’s dad chased after him with a broomstick when he dyed his hair blonde; still to this day, he refuses to dye his hair because his dad doesn’t like it.
3. A fan talked to Ko Ji Yong about Jyeonhoon and Jyeonjyong fanfics, and Ji Yong’s response was: “Why do I have to fight with Sung Hoon-ie over Eun Ji Won?”
4. Dealing with the fans waiting outside of the house:
Lee Jae Jin: Calls the police
Kang Sung Hoon: BMW racing show in the middle of the night; You think I’m going to go in???/
Ko Ji Yong: Climbed over the wall; If caught, said “Don’t tell others you saw me!”, and jumped
Eun Ji Won: Mom asked the fans “Do you guys know where Ji Won is..?” …
5. During <Com’back> promotion, at the height of Jekki’s popularity, a rented bus from outside of Seoul got to the concert venue late and missed the performance. The fans that were in the bus sat on the cement floor of the parking lot and started crying. The news got to the manager, and eventually to the members. The members told the manager to turn the car, and they really returned to the parking lot and consoled the fans. Thank you for coming so far, you guys are the best, why are you crying, we’re here now~
Sunghoon’s hang-out with Suwon the day after he had been released drew a lot of attention from media, as shown by the paparazzi pictures that were taken that day. Suwon responded to the haters by tweeting: “Why do people have so much to say about me seeing my friend”.
Born-to-be star Hoon-ie, Hoonie who sings 90% of the vocal line. Thank you and sorry. I feel like I’m putting all the burden on you and am free riding. I think we can still compete with other idols in terms of visual thanks to you, so I’m always grateful. Please take care of it more so that we can be outstanding compared to black kies. And you take everything that’s sweet and cringey. It’s your charm and your strong point, so please continue! If you need more parts in a song, I’ll give you 4 more measures from mine. It won’t feel like a big loss, if it’s for you.
-Suwon’s letter to Sunghoon (2016)
My only same-age friend JJang Su Bal! I feel like you’re a member I can be proud of in my heart. Why? Because I “fixed*” you! (*Sunghoon revealed in Radio Star that he helped DSP’s CEO pick out the members) Let’s just continue to be good friends like we always have been!