Here’s an inked, Work in Progress Rick and Morty drawing that was commissioned by Patrick Kmiecik (@kmiecikp), whose a huge Rick and Morty fan that I met at ConnectiCon last month, who wanted me to include one of his fan characters: ‘Alan Atlas Arktador’.
Expect a colored version to surface online later this month.
It’s the end of the summer, and thus our last selection for our Summer Fridays blog. To finish up on an excellent note, we chose the work of 30-year-old Brooklyn photographer Eddy Vallante, whose portraits of musicians make his Tumblr a must-see. This shot, however, is of a puppy, gazing longingly out the window at something just out of reach. It’s how we all feel looking out at the last warm days of August.
Describe the piece you submitted to Summer Fridays.
This is a photo of Elly. I was watching her one afternoon in Crown Heights for friends of mine who had just gotten married. I was tossing a toy around with her when something outside demanded her immediate attention. She just ran over and sat down. I don’t know what it is, but I love when dogs sit and stare like this. It’s hilarious.
OK, list of positive events in the Reylo Fandom...(in chronological order)
So we’ve been through a lot of bad shit. We’ve had some major divisions, too. And just imaging all of the friends many of us old cane-wielders have lost along the way genuinely makes me very depressed and I hope somehow things change some day…
So frankly I’m done reading that sad shit- let’s get started with the good!!
1. Those first two weeks after the film came out and people, still on their main blogs, started posting voraciously about TFA and started tentatively asking each other about a possible Kylo and Rey dynamic only to discover it wasn’t just them- others felt it, too.
2. The discussion in the tiny fandom over what to call the ship. There were multiple candidates, some simple, some other mishmashes of words, but eventually posts began to emerge saying “Well it’s settled then- Reylo it is.” Yep, the ship name was decided on Tumblr. And actually at the time I remember posting saying I preferred one of the other candidates (can’t remember what it is now, though- maybe kyrey?), but it wasn’t long until #Reylo became the main name and tag for the ship and, hey, you can’t fight progress.
3. The first amazing fan art started to appear! Many of our very first artists are still with us! I remember the first original piece of fan art I ever saw for this ship came from @solarfugue(arriku) and I was instantly in love.
4. Fics were steadily being written! Through everyone’s early stories, certain patterns began to emerge- ‘force bonds’ being the primary one. These would be things that would be included in nearly every single fic as a prerequisite after February 2016.
5. Just around the very, very end of 2015, the dedicated side blogs began to emerge and the fandom began to really solidify.
6. The first big exchange (to my knowledge) was the Valentine’s Day fic exchange Feb. 2016! Tons of people got in on it, and it started rumblings for possibly more writing projects.
7. SMUT WEEK was the last few days of february going into March 2016. Basically, after a stream of people happily chatting and giggling along here on tumblr, a whoooole lotta risqué art emerged at once, and as a consequence, I declared the second or third day of this trend to be Smut Week. Everyone really grasped onto the idea with both hands and the smutty art, and even stories, POURED in for 5 solid days more. There’s not been much of a need to call another smut week, because, well, we never actually dropped back down to any innocent level since. So, anyone who’s ever tried to avoid smut in fics in this fandom, it’s my fault. I’m sorry (sort of). ^^;
8. Art Fridays! For awhile in spring, going into early summer 2016, Art Fridays, organized amongst some of the artists in the fandom, became a thing to look forward to. There’d be a secret theme and on Fridays around 8pm or so, suddenly tons of new art would emerge. It was something I always looked forward to. Later the concept morphed into ‘Shenanigans’ and is held sometimes on days other than Friday.
9. Art Fridays eventually morphed into the Reylo Anthology, a collection
of artists who would still occasionally do art fridays stuff, but also
worked to focus more on big themed reylo art projects.
10. The Reylo Fanfic Anthology was a concept tossed around quite a bit during Spring 2016 before being taken up by a group of writers and is still going strong to this day. There’s one large project a year, dotted with side events often centered on holidays.
11. The Reylo Sin Anthology came to be! A fanfic anthology for all the smuttiest smut fics, written to various themes throughout the year- many of them very much on the risqué side which is how they liked it. (It later became the Reylo Book of Sins and still going strong.)
12. From Spring to Summer 2016, due to new revelations from cast and crew, the fandom contracted a bit, but ultimately became more concentrated and ‘regulars’ began to emerge. Summer was also about the time that ‘metas’ pretty much got exhausted (everything had pretty much been hashed out by then), so it got a little quiet…
13. In October the Reylo Short Story Collection was announced. Focusing on, obviously, short stories, the goal was to write within the word-count limits and then publish with each story having its own custom art. A new issue is published every four months.
14. In November, two of our own, @starwarsnonsense and @bastila-bae, began an analytical podcast, “Scavenger’s Hoard”, about the new films and also with the goal of being reylo-friendly in an increasingly aggressive fandom. They added women’s voices to the discussion and have since even won awards!
15. We lost Carrie in the winter of 2016, so that was pretty terrible. But just before that happened, we were abuzz knowing a title for 9 was coming, and also anxious for the latest new years’ fic exchange hosted by the fic anthology, something that a lot of us held onto as a positive distraction in the wake of tragedy.
16. Starting around the turn of the year, changes started to take place on the SW website, namely the Data Bank, and other places- talk of ‘intertwined destines’ and ‘fascination’ and ‘links’ with regards to Kylo and Rey…could it be? Did we finally have more reason to hope?
17. In January 2017, we got the title for 8!! “Space Bear” became “The Last Jedi”, and suddenly the meta writing was back in full swing!
18. In April 2017, we got the trailer for 8! And boy did we get our hope alright. Quickly we realized many of our ‘standards’ in fanfiction seemed to have fairly correct between the trailer and cast/production commentary at SWC: Luke the underwhelming teacher, Kylo suddenly maskless and with a much reduced scar than we ever anticipated…*cough* causing us to speculate even more strongly about his anti-hero role and desire to reach Rey. The new clues and speculation quickly began to filter into fic writing.
….and here we are today! Did I miss anything? This was sort of a greatest hits in the fandom. ^^; If I missed anything, let me know! It’s getting late and I’m a bit out of it, so forgive me if I have…gosh so much has happened!! We’ve done so much!! And I’m so proud to have been with all you guys, old and new, through it all. :,)