Look, haven’t you noticed - the Doctor is completely off his trolley. Seriously, the man is barking mad. He basically runs away for a living, but still chose to wear that scarf. One morning, he decided it would enhance his air of personal enigma to stick a question mark handle on his umbrella. He wore converse trainers with a suit, he made a screwdriver sonic, he thinks fezzes and bow ties are cool, he hid himself away in a Medieval castle with a tank and an electric guitar, he thinks he’s in a television show and sometimes talks to the camera… oh you finish the list. Do you think, for one second, that man would look at the light on top of his disguised time machine and not think, ‘Ooh, it would be cool if it flashed.’ He’s insane, I’m telling you. You should try writing for that lunatic, it’s exhausting.
Steven Moffat, on why the TARDIS’ lamp flashes as it materializes if it’s trying to be camouflaged
So what if instead of it being medieval dresses and all that, narnia is more like the 1910-20’s era…but there’s still magic.
•The Pevensie’s are more accustomed to things since it’s not that far off from them.
•The Witch doesn’t just rule kingdoms, but she’s head of many innovations. Trains, some early models of planes, etc.
•Some areas of Narnia are rural and others are swampy, smokey industrial pits.
•She puts young talking animals to work for little pay in the harsh cold.
•Edmund had signed a contract without reading it, legally binding him to the Witch.
•Peter, Susan, and Lucy find Aslan.
•Things still kinda go down the same except the battle is gruesome.
•Explosives, guns, and magic mingled together making a living hell for Edmund and Peter who left this back in England.
•They still win and try to get things in order.
•Trade is big. Innovation is big.
•Parties are amazing. Narnian jazz is starting to come about.
•Instead of taverns, there’s jazz clubs where Susan and Lucy sneak to every once in awhile though Peter hates it.
•The dresses are gorgeous.
•Edmund and Peter wear suits and bow ties.
•Edmund is head of his own newspaper.
•Susan is a heavy contributor, winning the hearts of a lot of other lords in other areas and businesses.
•Peter is managing the whole household of Cair Paravel, checking the farms, making sure their tenants are taken care of.
Like imagine a Downton Abbey-esque Narnia. I dunno where I’m going with this, but it came into my head. Feel free to add.
(Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children):
Emily has been living in the children’s home for many decades but still, Enoch doesn’t know how to behave around her due to her peculiarity.
I sat in the big garden next to some bushes reading a book. While my eyes were darting over the lines on the pages, the other children had been spending their time in the garden as well.
Claire and Bronwyn sat in the grass under a tree playing with princess dolls, next to them were Emma and Olive performing a daily chore which was helping a baby squirrel.
Hugh and Millard were playing football and ran around the whole garden shouting and laughing. It had been a bit distracting but I just tried to ignore them not wanting to be rude.
“Emily, watch out!”, I heard Hugh shout and my head shot up to look what was happening. Right in this moment the ball collided with my head. “Ouch!”, I mumbled angrily holding my head and stood up.
Hugh and Millard ran to me wanting to know wether I was fine. “Hugh!”, I snapped and looked at him. Panic. “It wasn’t me, I swear! It was Millard.”, he said quickly pointing at the floating clothes. “I’m so sorry, Emily.”, Millard apologised and I turned my head to look at him. Guilt. Shame.
“Maybe you should stop playing. Everyday some unfortunate event disturbs my reading.”, Horace claimed appearing behind me before I could say something. “It’s okay, Millard. I’m fine.”, I said giving him a smile and looked at Horace. Annoyed. I grabbed his arm and dragged him away from the boys.
It wasn’t like Horace and I didn’t like them, we rather preferred to be left alone when reading our books.
“Just ignore them like I do and read your book over here.”, I mumbled and sat down in the grass making him come down with me.
I concentrated on my book again but I could hear Horace’s voice in my head, “Uncomfortable.”
“What’s making you uncomfortable?”, I asked Horace quietly and closed my book.
“Uh… it’s Enoch. He’s staring at us again.”, he mumbled looking at the ground.
I looked up to the house seeing a figure in Enoch’s window. I was curious and wanted to know what he was feeling but he was too far away for my peculiarity to work.
My peculiarity was quite interesting: I had the ability to see what another person is feeling or in what state he was, when I looked at the person. It was possible with every person, even with Millard. But sadly it only worked in a particular area.
Sometimes I even knew someone’s feeling without looking at them on condition that there’s a stronger bond between me and the person. In this case, I would be able to hear this person’s voice in my head telling me his true feelings. But then again, this was only possible in my area.
“How do you know that he’s staring at us?”, I wanted to know but he just grinned at me. Feeling of superiority. “You know something.”, I realised and moved closer. “What did you dream about? Tell me!”, I demanded making him laugh.
“Emily, I don’t have more information than anyone else does.”, he smirked. I groaned and rolled my eyes since it was obvious that he was lying. “Why can’t you just tell me?”, I asked him but before he could answer Miss Peregrine asked us to change for supper.
I changed into a simple gray dress before leaving my room and stepping into the hallway where I saw Enoch leaving his room as well. Sadness. I saw sadness almost every time when I looked at Enoch. I thought about telling Miss Peregrine once but I made a promise to all of them that I would never reveal their feelings. But still I felt sorry for him and wanted to do something.
In the last decades I tried to approach him many times but he never lets anyone get to close to him.
I gave him a slight smile but he turned his head away and quickly went downstairs. Nervous. Sadness.
I followed him into the dining room where only Miss Peregrine, Horace and the twins were sitting at the table.
I took my usual seat next to Horace and watched Enoch taking his seat and avoiding to look at anybody. Uncomfortable. Sadness. “Curiosity.”, I heard Horace’s voice before I turned to face him. “Nothing happened. Everything’s fine!”, I assured him a bit loudly making him chuckle.
I looked at Miss Peregrine. Confusion. “Everything’s fine.”, I repeated, smiled at her and she nodded before all the other children entered the room and took their seats.
After we all had finished we went into the living room since it was time for Horace to project his dreams.
I sat between Emma and Millard, Bronwyn sat on my lap and leaned against me. She snuggled up into my chest while I wrapped my arms around her causing her to smile. “Loved.”, I heard her voice and I smiled to myself.
I caught Enoch watching us but he turned away. Nervous.
The night before Horace dreamed about clothes, as usual. He was standing in a giant closet filled with suits and bow ties and he danced around before trying everything on.
Then the image changed and you could see Enoch sitting outside. We all turned to look at Enoch, who shifted on his seat. Embarrassment. Sadness.
After that, a hand slightly grabbed Enoch’s shoulder and then you could see me standing next to him. He smiled at me while I sat down right next to him leaving no space between us. Now, everyone was looking at me and I blushed.
I wanted to avoid looking at Enoch but I couldn’t help myself. Excitement. Then saw me looking at him. Shock.
My heart stopped beating. Why is he feeling this? I felt the heat in my face and hoped nobody would notice.
While the others had focused to Horace buying clothes again, I still tried to calm myself down. Why was that whole Enoch thing bothering me so much?
I also tried to focus on the projection and saw me again but this time with Emma and a boy who reminded me of Abe.
Just then Horace’s projection stopped, this were all of his dreams. I allowed myself to look at Enoch again. Jealousy. Sadness.
“Now, everyone, get your masks. It’s time for reset.”, Miss Peregrine clapped her hands and turned around to leave the room.
Everyone did as we were told and a couple of minutes later we all stood outside ready for the reset.
I stood next to Horace, who smirked at me but I ignored him. After Miss Peregrine finished resetting the time we made our way back to the house and then to our rooms.
Bronwyn and I shared a room since she got nightmares pretty often. Plus, we were like sisters, anyway.
So, after we made us ready to sleep, Bronwyn laid down and I told a story like every evening. Tired. Content.
She fell asleep really fast that evening and I laid down in my bed as well thinking about Horace’s dreams. It seemed like Enoch was comfortable with me being close to him… so maybe he will accept my approaches soon.
I fell asleep with that thought but woke up again around midnight. I heard a sound downstairs and sat up in my bed. One look to the side told me said Bronwyn was in a deep sleep. Content.
I left our room quietly finding my way downstairs. I didn’t really know what I expected but when I entered the kitchen I saw Enoch taking some jars out of a cupboard. Confusion. Sadness.
“Why aren’t you asleep?”, I asked causing him to jump. Some jars slipped out of his hands and crashed as they collided with the ground. “Damn it.”, he mumbled collecting the hearts off the ground. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”, I mumbled quickly. I rushed to his side and started to collect the sharps.
“Stop that.”, he said harshly as he snapped away my hands. I looked up at him. Nervous. Concerned.
It made me smile, which then again made Enoch furrow in his eyes in confusion. “You’re concerned that I’ll cut myself.”, I explained and he nodded lowering his head. Embarrassment.
“Your peculiarity scares me.”, he confessed calmly continuing to clean up the mess.
“Says the boy who collects hearts to raise the dead.”, I chuckled hoping to make him laugh. But, nothing. Not even a smile. Shame. Sadness.
“That was a joke. I like your peculiarity.”, I said giving him a smile and this time I even got him to raise the corner of his mouth. “I know. You already told me.”, he breathed out before I wanted to help him again but he just glared at me. Concern.
While I sat on the ground, I watched him cleaning everything properly and getting new jars for the hearts.
“Enoch, I know… i know I’ve already asked you this… but why do I see sadness when I look at you?”, I wanted to know as he sat down next to me, his back resting against the cupboards just like mine.
“I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I’m lonely.”, he said simply and shrugged. Without thinking I took his hand and waited a moment before interwining our fingers.
I felt my heart beating against my ribs and I looked up at him. Nervous. Content.
I blushed when I realised that I had never seen contentment while looking at Enoch.
“I need to go back to sleep. Good night, Enoch.”, I yawned after a while of comfortable silence and stood up after looking into his brown eyes. Understanding. Sadness.
“Good night, Emily.”, he said quietly and even smiled slightly before I went upstairs to my room. I laid in my bed when I heard him going to bed as well and then thought about what had happened the last twenty minutes.
I couldn’t help but blush again when I thought about his concern, him being nervous or him being content for the first time.
I realised that due to my peculiarity I had never really paid attention to my own feelings. I was always to focused on other people.
I felt excitement which lead to a huge smile on my face.
Could it be that I had fallen in love with him? I mean, that would explain my interest in him even after getting rejected. And now, while I was thinking about it I could list many times where I got nervous around Enoch and where I watched him secretly.
So maybe, I actually was in love with that boy…
To be continued…
I’m sorry for the mistakes: English is not my mother tongue. Anyways, this is the first time I upload a fanfiction so I hope you like it. :)
If they boys were to go to a fancy black tie even. What would they wear and behavior changes maybe?
- Formal events are no stranger to someone who’s semi-famous and has a powerful mother. He always plays it safe with the full black suit and tie. Bow ties always feel ‘too much’ for him, though he doesn’t know how to explain it, so it means he’ll always stick to a tie that he’s had for god knows how long.
- For some reason, he’s much more social in this environment. Everyone’s pretty direct and doesn’t beat around the bush and he finds it pretty calming. Though he prefers to stick to people he knows, he isn’t that afraid to talk to people he doesn’t know here.
- The thing is, ties and him don’t usually work well. He hates wearing ties so no matter how fancy the event is, if he’s not obligated to wear it, then he won’t be wearing one. The first button is popped and he looks pretty damn good but half way through the night he’ll just be carrying the suit jacket around anyways.
- He’s been to one of these once before so he knows how to act, mostly because he’s seen bad examples of people who’ve embarrassed themselves. Semi just tries to be as quiet as he can and not talk to anyone during this event because, though he doesn’t know anyone, he feels pretty threatened by the whole atmosphere of it.
- He doesn’t like dressing up too much but if it’s for something like this he will. His tie is probably done too tightly because he gets nervous thinking about things like this and he doesn’t even realise that it’s the reason why he’s so lightheaded.
- His behaviour doesn’t change as much since he’s just so well mannered as he is. There’s nothing fake to his demeanour because he’s genuinely excited about going to something like this; it’s not every day that you get to go to an event like this.
- He’s never been to one of these but from what he’s seen (The James Bond movies), he at least goes for the full black look and a bow tie. He’s bound to get compliments on his nice watch and all but nobody actually realises it’s anime merch and he’s just constantly looking at it because he wants to go home.
- Tendou’s too nervous, making up scenarios in his head that only happen in anime. The moment he bumps into a waiter, he swears that he’s going to get thrown out but it honestly isn’t that deep. He’s very anxious about the whole thing.
- He’s very excited but doing his best to restrain himself. Though he wants to get up and talk to people, he’s really unsure of himself and doesn’t know anything about proper etiquette at all. It’ll take the people with him telling him what to do at least four times before it actually gets in his head.
- What happened to trying to keep it cool? It’s out the window after an hour as he ends up staying his regular chirpy self. He wanted to try and lay off slang and all that but he can’t help but be excited anyways.
- He barely spends time getting ready for this stuff because he’s so used to it. He actually abhors these things because they’ve lost their ‘glamour’ and are just downright boring for him. ‘Dressing up’ isn’t really something he thinks about but he’s still dressed in the simplest suit, despite how he has way nicer ones.
- His mother would take him along to her business events, telling him to make connections (which he doesn’t do because he’s here for good food) so he just seems like a completely different person, much calmer. He does however put on the fakest smile that only his friends can pick up on.
- He’d rather be anywhere else but here. Going out is the bane of his existence but to go somewhere like this at least warrants him dressing nicely. He wears a borrowed suit because he knows he won’t be going to these things often anyways.
- Kawanishi stands by the buffet table the whole time. He isn’t here to talk to people and is only here for the good food. Nobody’s stopped him anyways because he doesn’t have much of a presence there anyways.
- As long as ‘black-tie’ doesn’t explicitly mean all black then he’s turning up in a navy suit (that his dad picked out for him), since he honestly hates how everyone ends up looking the same at these functions. He’s got a nice brown leather watch to match as well. He’s got a great fashion sense (but his dad likes to take credit for it).
- He has no idea how many flutes of champagne he’s had but at least he’s not piss drunk, definitely not at a place like this. He’s snapchatting it the entire time as well, not really focusing on what’s happening. It doesn’t really matter as long as people end up messaging him about how cool he looked later.
Aesthetic: Pressed suits and ties. Very formal. Bow ties tied so tight that people think they're clip-ons. Tall black boots for added height. Hair pulled back with a severe look on the face. Strict. Intimidating.
wow this creates such a powerful picture [send me an ask with your idea of slytherin fashion aesthetics!]