Hey! I was wondering if you could recommend any lgbtq+ books where the mc also deals with a mental illness?
Definitely! Some great YAs that do:
- Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz (B, Eating Disorder)
- Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley (G, Agoraphobia)
- History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera (G, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)
- Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin (GF, Anxiety)
- Scars by Cheryl Rainfield (L, Depression w/suicidal ideation and self-harm) (tw for self-harm on the cover)
(Those are all from this post, for ease of finding later: https://lgbtqreads.com/2016/05/05/fave-five-mental-health-lgbtq-yas/)
And since that post, I’d also add 10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac, which has a lesbian protag and deals with severe anxiety; Vanished by E.E. Cooper, which has a bi protag who has OCD; and the upcoming (July 11) The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller is another good one with a (gay) anorexic protag.
Older than YA, Strong Signal and Hard Wired by Santino Hassell and Megan Erickson are both great m/m Romances with protags who have anxiety disorders, and Far From Home by Lorelie Brown is f/f with a main character who has an eating disorder. Black Iris by Elliot Wake w/a Leah Raeder has a bi protag (she IDs as queer) with bipolar disorder, and the love interest is also bi and has Borderline Personality Disorder, IIRC.
Hope something in there helps, but if you’re looking for a mental illness or ID I didn’t mention, feel free to hit me up again!