…and 5 things about it.
1. Kara is so dark in this ep and I really liked how they decided to show her like that. She was always this optimistic ball of sunshine, but all this time she was dealing with a lot of loss and losing Mon-El was just too much. Now we actually have a superhero who needs to face grief and mental health and that’s amazing. She says that Kara Danvers is dead, but at the same time what she’s doing makes her even more human. That leads to another thing - she’s a strong woman and she’s allowed to have problems. Lately in fiction there’s this trend that a “strong female lead” pretty much can be read as “a heartless bitch who kills first and asks questions later” and that’s bullshit. A woman (anyone for that matter) can be strong even if she cries or grieves or is scared, because that’s normal. We’re not robots, we have feelings and it’s not sth to be ashamed of. Therefore a show with a MC who breaks down, but then is able to stand up is a big yes for me.
2. I’m looking forward to more Lena x James scenes. No, i’m not shipping them (at least not yet ;p), but considering their worldviews and personalities, this can turn into a very interesting relationship. James seems to be focusing a bit more on his work at CatCo (I approve as his Guardian storyline last season was kinda lacking for me) and Lena is as badass as always (looking forward to seeing her wreck Edge, because the guy from Heroes is, of course, a jerk ;p). And more Lena x Kara friendship please! (because female friendship is so underrated in tv.)
3. I absolutely loved the scene with Danvers sisters (great acting!). The confrontation was amazing - they both had a point and it was hard to pick a side, because I had this feeling that if I were Kara, I would be doing what she does and if I were Alex, I would be saying what she said.
4. J’onn is a blessing. He is a father figure through and through and I loved how supportive he was of his two big “daughters”. I got this feeling he understood Kara best (he also lost someone) and that’s why he was the only one who never pushed her and therefore was the one she finally opened up to a little. Also the scene with Alex at the end <3 I teared up, because he’s such a dad! Just the best!
5. And last but not least - karamel! The scene at the beginning was beautiful (even despite the fact that the scenery kinda looked like a commercial of a washing powder ;)) and heartbreaking at the same time. We got it as the first scene and then were suddenly thrown into an action sequence. The light world vs the dark world. The world that Kara wants vs the world that she have. Great contrast and cool cinematography. But then we get the “wake up” scene and it got me thinking - is it possible this wasn’t actually a dream? And they are connected in some way? It’s suspicious and I want more ;3