So I had cause to rewatch episode 3 of Critical Role today, and that one has some Dang Good Moments:
The world’s most awkward assassination. Vex has her very dramatic and badass “We’ll rescue her, and we’re going to kill your god!” line, and then everyone just sort of looks at each other awkwardly for like five full seconds of silence, and Vax just sort of grins with a “?????” expression and finally slits the duergar’s throat.
All the various watches standing guard at night fail to roll well enough to figure out what’s up with the seal of Bahamut carved into the wall over their camp, so it’s just a long procession of, “Huh, that’s pretty.”
Scanlan sneaks alone into a war camp and gets front-row seats to the brain-sucking extravaganza.
Vox Machina actually comes up with what might be their best and most successful plan yet: use Hallucinatory Terrain to slightly extend a chasm overlooking a 1000-foot drop and lure the enemies into charging forward. It still involves Grog calling it a “rim job”, Vax flicking double-birds, Vax nearly losing the flying carpet permanently, Vax nearly dying, and a lot of confused yelling, but hey, that’s about par for the course.
The Wrath of Vex, Prequel Edition: “You lost our flying carpet, you unconscious bastard!”
Vex and Keyleth rebelling and stealing the carpet to go check out a cave.
Vex and Keyleth managing to make friends (allies) with a mind flayer. Keyleth gives him a tulip. Scanlan sings him a song based on “Sexual Healing”, which he enjoys thoroughly. Everyone tries to name him Clarence. What is this show.
My favorite thing is this room full of professional voice actors doing a full-body sympathetic cringe every time Matt pulls out his throat-destroying Clarota voice.
so patroclus is often portrayed as being kinda weak and in need of protection but i think we forget that patroclus is kind of a certified badass on his own ?? like he literally killed a kid over a dice game .. he went into battle dressed as achilles and people believed it was him .. like i’m all for protecting my soft gay son but its good to be reminded than he can and will kick your ass and i think thats beautiful
- Good use of Kanye West songs
- Bumble Bee (transformers reference)
- Original Power Rangers theme
- Altogether good soundtrack
- Alpha the sarcastic droid
Trini - Yellow Ranger (aka unkillable lesbian aka badass dork)
- Hates people
- Casually gay
- Could kill everyone in the room
- Loves with all her heart
- Doesn’t die like wowowow
- Loves her new family of misfits
- A real badass angel who deserves kisses from girls
Kimberly - Pink Ranger (aka sinamon roll aka my bi baby)
- Best friends with Yellow
- More than likely bi
- Loyal and friendly
- Awesome hair cutting skills
- Has done bad things but is trying to make up for it
- Cutie pie
- Awesome and brave
- Will fight anyone for her new family (especially Blue)
Zack - Black Ranger (aka edgy emo boi aka a real softie who loves his mom)
- Emo af edge lord
- Sarcastic and reckless
- A sweetheart really who’s not afraid to cry
- Loud but kind
- Loves his lesbian bff
- Takes care of his mother and loves her to bits
- Loves innuendos and being the class clown
- Scared to be left alone but finds a place with his new family
Billy - Blue Ranger (aka badass angel aka pure badass angel who blows shit up)
- On the spectrum and very open about it (thank you Power Rangers for doing that)
- Has an inside joke with Red
- Good and pure and wholesome
- Extremely smart and amazing
- Loves country music.. like really loves it
- Thanks people all the time for being his friend
- Cares deeply about everyone (including his mother)
- The actual human representation of all things good in this world
Jason - Red Ranger (aka likes slapping bad guys aka loves and cares about everyone even cows)
- Has a connection with Beefcake the cow
- Not possibly straight
- Loves Twenty One Pilots
- Selfless and honestly does love his dad even if his dad can be a dick
- Actually pure and tries to help his loved ones
- Best friends with Blue
- Slaps people for his new found family
- Protective and won’t take your shit
Altogether Power Rangers was awesome, wholesome and deserves all the awards. They didn’t kill there lesbian and they were respectful with everybody differences. 100/10 would recommend.
Confession: Just once I wish videos games and/or movies would stop with the whole “special white girl that saves everyone” shtick they seem to love. Why are ordinary white girls in media always deemed the “special” ones for some random reason? Would it kill them to have a non-white person being badass and being the hero for once?