The making of my Megara wig
Materials I used:
4 full brown wigs (1 with a skin top part purchased off Amazon and Ebay)
2 brown half wigs (purchased off Ebay)
1 4 inch styrofoam ball
1 nylon sock
Gold leaf ribbon
My weight in bobby pins
1 inch curling iron
Needle & thread
The wig I bought was parted in the center so the first thing I had to do was rip out the parting and all the wefts on top so it could be moved to the side. I then sewed in all the shorter and “bangs” areas from from all the wigs I purchased to fill in the gap.
Then I took the styrofoam ball, put it inside the nylon sock and tied the end. Then, I cut off the extra and sewed the nylon to the top of the wig where I wanted the ponytail to be. I took all the extra wigs and wefts and sewed them together. I sewed the bottom of each of the wig cap areas to the top of the next wig cap area so the ponytail part appeared longer. I then took that and sewed it to the base wig around the styrofoam/nylon ball. Then I took individual parts that were left over on the base wig and one by one I cross it, either over or under the ball, blasted it with hairspray, then the hairdryer, and secured it with a bobby pin. I did this until the hair looked like it was in a ponytail. I then took out some of the more unnecessary bobby pins.
Next I curled everything!! I took my 1 inch curler and curled sections like I would normally curl my own hair but before I let the hair out of the curler, I caught it and pinned it up until it had completely cooled.
Finally I tied the gold leaf ribbon around the ponytail area. I also sewed in hair clips to the inside of the cap so it could stay on my head better. It’s not an exact Megara style, but if you’ve followed my cosplays you should know I prefer inspired-by looks more than an exact copy. I’m a designer not a replicator… as I’ve said many times before.