So I’ve been considering doing a post about this for a while and since there’ve been a lot of discussions about Leia recently I figured ‘why not’?
So, some things about Leia and her hair from a person who is living with hair LONGER than Leia’s is depicted in ROTJ and has been for quite a long time.
Please bare with me while I learn to use this thing.
1. She is inevitably asked by someone if her hair is real every time she tries a new style.
2. As a child she would wear her hair down when she was at home but as she grows (along with her hair) it becomes a less common occurrence because her hair is to much to deal with down. (Exceptions are made for headaches. Sometimes.)
3. On the way to Bespin Han asked her to wear it down and she refused (5 times) until she finally un-braided it all for him to see how long it is. (Han stops asking.)
4. Breha taught Leia to do her hair and Leia keeps some of her pins to tuck into her hair, even once they’re worn out and no longer keep anything in place.
5. She never has enough bobby pins.
6. Or hair ties.
(She asks Chewie to buy her some while on a supply run. He brings back exactly what she asks for and refuses any payment.) 7.On the way to Bespin she teaches Han simple styles and techniques; how to divide hair for a braid, how and where to pin them, what styles are good for what, and, his personal favorite, how to find all of the pins.
8. Hair, on Alderaan is tradition and modesty and necessity. It takes Leia some time to learn this but it takes her even longer to realize that other places don’t share the same customs.
9. A particularly rude Ambassador once inquired as to why she wore her hair “like a common peasant.” She hit him. (She later discovers that the people on his planet only bind their hair if they must work. She never apologizes.)
10. Leia is distraught over Jaina’s refusal to have her hair done and she cries the night Jaina comes home with it chopped short. (She thought she was going to get the chance to pass on the things her mother taught her.)
11. There is a crisis (because there is always a crisis) on some midrim world they happen to be on and a law is passed saying that to leave any hair must be shaved to the skull. Han promises to stay with her until the decree is lifted and he teaches her how to wrap her hair in scarves the way he remembers his mother doing.
12. The Rogues tell her mood by her hair. Han tells the political climate. Luke tells the weather.
13. One time, trying to be helpful, Luke brings her images of various hairstyles from the holonet. Leia is forced to tell him that anything that is pictured with hair shorter than hers will never work like the pictures but agrees to try some anyway.
14. Her hairstyle on Bespin is not something she’s ever seen done before but Han created the beginnings of it one night when she allowed him to braid her hair.
15. The style becomes one of her favorite elegant styles. She wears it on their wedding day.
16. She’s not one for overly adorning her hair but she has a handful of decorative clips, two hair sticks in different styles, a circlet and a diadem, all of which are very simple.
17. Her circlet was created for her when she was born, elegant gold twisting and coiling with one small sapphire set in it. After the war it was thought to be lost. That is, until it turned up, along with jewelry that had been in an exhibit about the designer. They found the diadem there too. It had been her mother’s, and it was quite simple, silver with small diamonds. (Her mother always said it was a day diadem, for formal events before sundown.)
18. After the event with Jaina’s hair Leia says nothing. She sits at her dressing table and does her own hair, leaving the door open for her daughter just in case.
19. Han built her a stool for the ‘fresher on the Falcon so that she can sit in front of the mirror and be at just the right height to do her hair.
20. The Rogues timed her once on doing her hair. She took out two braided buns and turned them into four braids coiling around her head. It took her 20 minutes to do the whole thing. They were impressed.
21. Jaina eventually begins allowing her mother to style her hair again for formal events. It’s quite short but Leia is quite skilled. After Jaina turns 18 Leia allows her to wear the circlet but Jaina rarely agrees, saying she’s not the real Princess.
22. There’s a rumor that Leia can do her hair faster than Han can tear apart, clean and reload his blaster. This is untrue. They tried it once. Han was 11 seconds faster.
23. When her friends get married Leia does their hair. For Winter it was a traditional coronet that looks like a tiara with the right pins. For Mara it was a waterfall of braids that she has only ever replicated for Mara on she and Luke’s 10th anniversary. The list goes on.
24. When Jag proposed Jaina began growing her hair out while trying not to make it seem obvious. The morning of the wedding she waits at her mother’s dressing table until Leia emerges from the ‘fresher. With tears in her eyes, Leia braids the diadem into her daughter’s hair and realizes how much she wished her mother had been there to do this for her.
25. After Bespin Leia allows her hair to become a mess. Finally a kind Alderaani survivor comes and washes and braids Leia’s hair, saying that it won’t do them any good to find Captain Solo if he has no one to come back for.
26. Leia would never cut her hair. She won’t even consider it.
27. Han establishes a rule that if he takes her hair out at night he either has to rebraid it before they go to sleep or he has to help her brush it in the morning. He figures this is a fair rule since he’s usually responsible for the mess it is.
28. She teaches Jacen how to do hair and he’s always excited when his daughter tells her friends that her dad made the elaborate twists and coils.
29. Breha used time together doing hair as a way to teach her daughter about the galaxy but Leia stopped dreaming of a daughter of her own during the war.
30. Jaina is stubborn and “far to like Han” but she learned far more from her mother than Leia ever thought she did. She always tells her friends that beauty is often seen as a softness and lack of strength but she’s never seen anyone look more beautiful, and still kick butt, than her mother. Being focused on ones hair or make up or clothes isn’t something to be frowned upon, because you never see it coming when they can win a fight in an alley.
(Hoping this makes sense, I have a major headache. (: )
I actually have work to do. I have huge assignments, and exams for classes im just barely doing well in in literally three days.
And what have I given my love, soul and wholehearted, undying attention to instead?
the reason why benedict cumberbatch is my favourite actor is that in every role i have ever seen him do, i can’t see any of them in each other.
i think it’s a huge difference in him and many other great actors out there, because when i see another actor doing different roles, i can still think about that it’s them and that they have acted as other characters, but when i see benedict act, i don’t see benedict nor do i see sherlock or julian assange or stephen hawking when he’s not playing them. i see the role he’s doing in that moment and it’s amazing how he’s devoting himself to become a character and just let go of everyone else.
i don’t know a lot about acting in general, but i do know that benedict is one of the greatest actors in the world right now. he’s just.. fantastic.
Summary: Emma wakes to find herself, Henry, and Killian shipwrecked on an uninhabited island, the Jolly Roger badly damaged in their escape from Emma’s tower. As they work together to survive, Emma and Killian are drawn to each other, their passion undeniable. Will Emma give into her baser desires and show shy, deckhand Killian what he’s been missing?
Emma wakes with the memory of Killian’s kiss still tingling on her lips. The sun hasn’t risen yet, darkness still thick in the air as she blinks herself awake. She can hear Henry’s deep, even breathing off in the corner of their shelter while tropical birds call out to each other, songs soft and muted in the stillness of early morning. Unlike the past few mornings, it’s not as sticky hot, which has her stretching out comfortably, fingertips pressed to her lips as she remembers kissing Killian in the moonlight.
She can’t fall back asleep, the gentle crash of the surf on the beach calling to her, so she quietly exits the shelter. Making her way down to the beach, she begins to stretch as the sky turns gray and then a brilliant gold, the sun quickly making its ascent. When she finishes her yoga the sky is a deep blue with big, puffy white clouds and while it’s definitely going to be hot, there’s a faint breeze that keeps the worst of the heat at bay.