💿 HOW 2 MAKE A MIX CD 💿
Here it is, babes: my highly requested mixtape how-to !!
HERE’S WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Blank CD’s + jewel cases
- iTunes + a disc drive
- Sharpie or other permanent marker
- Collage supplies !
- glue stick, magazine scraps, stickers, glitter, etc.
1. Decide your purpose.
What’s it for? Who’s it for? Will you have a theme? What kinda music/genres fit with that theme?
2. Compile the tracks into a playlist on iTunes.
FILE > NEW > PLAYLIST
Here are sum tipz for compiling your tracklist:
- I like to vary old + new music, genres, moods, etc.
- To make it flow, I like to place the songs in an order where each song somehow compliments or contrasts the previous track.
- Include a good mix of familiar tracks and new finds.
- Live versions of familiar songs are always a good idea.
- DO NOT BE SCARED TO INCLUDE CHEESY POP SONGS.
- Consider movie soundtracks ! Those are ALREADY like mixtapes!
- 15 songs is a good # of tracks to shoot for.
3. Burn the CD !!!
Insert a blank disc into your disc drive.
FILE > BURN PLAYLIST TO DISC
4. Wait 4 the disc to burn.
Grab a big ol snack while u wait. Make sure you don’t bump your computer while the disc is burning or the driver could fail.
5. 🌸 DECORATE YER COVER, HUNY 🌸
This is obviously my fav part nnggg. My biggest tip is that collaging takes tons of practice to get a feel for. The person you’re making the mix for will love it NO MATTER WHAT, so don’t sweat it.
Here are some of my biggest tips on art directing yer new creation:
- I start by cutting out a little less than 5″ by 5″ piece of plain card stock to act as a solid background.
- A good title can MAKE a CD (and lend itself to some solid visuals).
- Have a small collection of magazines + clippings to go to for inspiration. My favs are 1980′s Nat Geo’s, “Oh Comely” (a British rag). and NYLON.
- To get my clippings, I look through a few issues and clip ANYTHING that relates to the vibe of my mix in any way. Sometimes I have a color scheme in my head or a specific imagine or mood. That guides my pics, but I’m always ready to deviate if something else grabs my eye.
- Sometimes simple covers with a big graphic and some dope patterns/color blocking are more appealing than wild ones, so don’t overthink it ~
6. GIVE THAT BABY AWAY!
Here are some covers I’ve made to give y’all some samples:
If you follow this how-to, be sure to tag me in yer pics <3 !