I only wish I’d been a better sister to her when she first got here. I can’t… I can’t even imagine it now. I used to resent her for coming into my home. For following me around at school. Some strange girl who didn’t know how to fit in. For embarrassing me in front of my friends.
People were interested in me doing a thing like this, so here we go! I figured I’d do a short little blurb about each writer, including one or two of my favorite works by them. So, in no real order (like, I literally randomized the list) here are some of the most talented people* whose art I’ve had the pleasure of reading:
*Please note that some of these people haven’t written for bellarke in a while! That doesn’t mean you should pester them about it! Appreciate the heck out of what they have written instead. Cool? Cool.
Maria’s written a good variety of longer and shorter fics, and each of them is excellent. (She’s also an amazing human/friend, but that’s more of a side perk.) She’s currently writing Things We Shouldn’t Do which is what everyone wants out of a multi-chap, fake-dating, actors AU. Or for something shorter, check out T.O.P. S.E.C.R.E.T. for some friends-with-benefits/feelings-reveal goodness. And maybe if she loves me she’ll finish Let’s Go to the Mall but it’s nbd.
I read The Squire (multi-chap, medieval AU) when I was pretty new to the fandom, and I’m still completely in awe of it. Steph’s also written a million other amazing bellarke fics, like this fluffy-af youtubers AU (and, recently, some fucking amazing Jyn/Cassian stuff, if you’re into that) so make sure to check out all of her incredible writing.
Chash has written a million and one amazing fics, so obvs read everything she’s written, but one of my particular faves is Some Cheese With That Whine. It gives me all the best-friends-to-lovers feelings. Amazing. Plus she likes all my posts when I’m flailing about ffx <3
Lana’s another one of those writers where I know I’ll like everything she publishes. She’s like, the queen a soulmate AU’s. Her most recent one is here–a cool iteration where you feel whatever pain your soulmate feels. As with all the other authors here, don’t forget to check out all her other stories!
I discovered Kacka this summer, and her stories saved me from boredom on the countless train rides I was taking across Europe. By which I mean you should just read through everything on her AO3 page, like I did. Everyone loves a good coffee-shop AU, right? Check out Got to Find Those Extra Cups to Fill. She’s a fantastic, inspiring writer and an even lovelier human being.
Bri’s another one of the authors I first read when I joined the fandom! She doesn’t write much bellarke anymore, but it’s all still up on her AO3 along with a ton of quality Jyn/Cassian fics, if that’s your jam!
Kayla’s the first person I ever considered my “favorite fanfic author” and the title still fits, even if I do have about a million “favorite” authors now. Full Circle is an older, post s2, fic of hers, but it’s undeniably still one of my faves. A more recent fave is: this is your heart (can you feel it). These are both canonverse, but she writes amazing modern AUs as well. <3
Is it getting old for me to keep saying I like everything insert-name-here writes?? I’d stop, except that it’s TRUE. Mel is fantastic. Her last installment in Good Times Gonna Come is so cute I can’t actually stand it. Something In The Air (That Night) is also super good. (She also writes Sethkate and Jyn/Cassian!)
(Okay I’m running out of time for these last few–gotta get to class–so I’ll just do one fic rec from each writer, BUT they’re all such fucking talented authors. Everything they write is amazing.)
OKAY PHEW. I think that’s everything. As a last note, don’t forget to appreciate your favorite authors! A comment or reblog here and there goes a long way. Kudos and likes are lovely, but not quite as tangible as comments and tags.
I just don’t understand. How come Lestat could kick Armand’s ass into the ground like that anyways back at Palais Royal that time? Sure, he caught him by surprise or wtv, so????? I mean, he was like what? Three hundred and something? Wasn’t Marius like 1500 years when he turned him and yeah okay, I get it Magnus was old but was he that old? And this blonde bitch Lestat was like twenty holy shit.
One of my fave moments from “Grabbers” is when the monster gets hold of O'Shea. Lisa has saved him so many times in the movie so he grabs her arm with a look of “Please please please save me again” and you can see her mind racing but she doesn’t know how.
She still ends up saving not just O'Shea but everybody else in the end so it’s all good, but how many movies can you name that has this sort of male/female dynamic, not just for one scene but throughout? He’s not some helpless dude in distress but damn does Lisa save him a lot and he’s so incredibly grateful without a hint of feeling emasculated.
• All Life is Yours to Miss by Sara’s Girl (114k) Professor Malfoy’s world is contained, controlled, and as solitary as he can make it, but when an act of petty revenge goes horribly awry, he and his trusty six-legged friend are thrown into Hogwarts life at the deep end and must learn to live, love and let go. (This fic OWNS ME. It’s so dear to me, one of the few that truly resonates with me on a personal level. I love following Draco’s journey in this.)
• Professor Potter and His Magical Menagerie by dracogotgame (7.5k) Harry Potter descends on Hogwarts with a horde of magical beasts. Professor Malfoy is not amused. (I love the writing style in this, it is all kinds of hilarious. So much brilliance crammed into this short lil’ fic, obliviousness, awkward flirting, yesssss.)
• Only For The Lucky by SunseticMonster (73k) Things seem to be going well for Draco Malfoy after the war. He’s working as a professor at Hogwarts and makes the papers all the time for his charitable contribution to Muggle causes.But when Malfoy is rushed into St Mungos hospital for a psychotic break, Healer Harry Potter realizes that Malfoy’s success is not all what it seems and sometimes luck can have more than one meaning. (One of my big faves, I love the characterization of Draco in it. It’s so angsty and hilarious and all around excellent. I have so many favorite scenes.)
• Draco’s Delicious Dilemma by darkmagicalgirl (5k) Draco Malfoy bravely deals with new coffee shops, Harry Potter, low-sympathy coworkers, feelings, free muffins, Looks, and some extremely rude signage. (I am still laughing over this one, it is a real treat. Sassy shop signs, Harry is a cinnamon roll, they give each other Looks. You won’t want to miss this one.)
• The Critiquer by dysonrules (24k) When Harry submits his cock photo to a renowned Cock Critiquer and gets a terrible review, he decides to take a photography class to hopefully improve his skills. (A classic. I love this fic so much, it is cracktastic and really well-written. Great characterizations. Teacher!fic because Draco teaches a photography class!)
• More Than That by joosetta (10k) This is a story about two 52 year old men who refuse to age gracefully. (Meaning they are total dorks, lmao. There’s a softness to them in this, it begins all casual but then before they know it, they’re in love. Siigh.)
• Lessons in Humility by playout (86k) After the dissolution of his marriage and a good bit of soul-searching, Harry returns to Hogwarts as the new Defense teacher. Go figure, it happens to be the same year Draco takes over the role of Potions Master. Neither man is happy about this turn of events. Will they be able to set aside their differences and learn a thing or two about trust and humility on the way? (Spoiler Alert: Yes. Very much so.) (ALL THE SWEET AMAZING FLUFF AND DOMESTICITY. I could honestly cry with all the feels this fic gives me. So lovely, so funny, so so good.)
• Newts by astolat (13k)
“I’m twenty-eight!” Harry said. “I’ve been an Auror for ten years! You want me to go back to Hogwarts now?“
(Only Drarry can go from trying to constantly one-up each other to shagging each other senseless at every opportunity like this. LOVE IT.)
• Are You There, God? It’s Me, Draco by floweringjudas (20k) Harry and Draco are straight Aurors. Then they’re gay teachers. It makes sense in context. (I’ll admit I haven’t actually read this one yet, but a friend of mine is BEGGING me to add it to this list because it made her laugh so much. So there!)
“Was there music playing? She’d forgotten. The world had shrunk into nothing, dissolved by the golden glow of candles. But there were her feet, and here was her arm, and her neck, and her mouth. She smiled and took his hand, still keeping one eye on the ball around them.”
- throne of glass
here it is! finally! my doraelin piece!! :D I’m so excited to finally post it <3 the ballroom scene from the first book is such a personal fave. everything is so perfect and fairytale-esque, I had to paint it! (plus, there’s an illegal lack of doraelin fanart smh) hope you all enjoy it!! <3<3<3 (prints: s6 | RB)
I haven’t made a post
here for a long time but this is the most fandom thing I’ve done in a while and
wanted to share. I attended the DW Panel and we had Peter Capaldi, Alex
Kingston and Jenna Coleman in Ottawa which was great because we never get
anyone and certainly not a current Doctor. They were all wonderful and I really
enjoyed the event. Here are some of the highlights (I say highlights but this is
basically the whole thing)
Q: Peter Capaldi (PC) what do you look for in a partner? PC: longevity
Q: Fave monsters? PC: Likes the Daleks but his long time fave are the Zarbi from the episode “The Web Planet” Alex Kingston (AK): When she was young, she liked the Cybermen but now its the Silence (she never actually said the name, she acted like she couldn’t remember it and Jenna ended up being the one to say it) Jenna Coleman (JC): She also likes the Silence. She finds the scariest monsters are the ones which never have to run but move slowly
Q: Fave Dalek scene? JC: When she was a Dalek (“Asylum of the Daleks”) CP: When they were shrunk and put into a Dalek (someone from the crowd shouted rusty, “Into the Dalek”) AK: When she killed a Dalek (”The Big Bang”)
Q: Fave emotional scene without giving away any spoilers? JC:
The diner scene. It was shot over two days as they shot some of it in
the diner and the rest in the studio. She didn’t think the parts shot in the
studio were meant to be emotional, when she enters her Tardis. But Peter was
there when he didn’t have to, in his own clothes, and seeing him
there made her emotional
Saying good bye to David, getting the ‘piss off’ (her words) from Matt, and for Peter it was hard for both of them to hold back
their emotions but still be able to show it to the audience, of knowing what
was in store for each other without the other knowing.
Q: Jenna asked what it felt like dying JC:
She read in the script a raven was meant to fly at her, but she didn’t
know what to expect on set and whether they would actually get a raven which
would be made to fly at her. So when that didn’t actually happen she was so
relieved she kept forgetting to actually die.
Q: Choose a show or movie for Doctor Who to do a crossover PC: Game of thrones, because the Doctor can definitely take down the white walkers AK: Lord of the Rings, and the Doctor to face the Orcs JC: The Thick of it (so Pc vs PC lol)
Q: If they could choose a name for the Doctor what would it be JC: Bob PC: Doesn’t believe the Doctor’s name can be understood by humans, so it isn’t a word
AK: When she was shooting the scene where River Song whispers the Doctor’s
name, the first take she whispered the name Shaniqua (lol) and caused an NG. She kept
changing the name every time they shot the scene but wouldn’t say the other
Q: Fave line? PC: I’m the Doctor AK: Hello sweetie JC: Chin boy, show me the stars and Run you clever boy (They got into a
discussion led by PC, that Steven Moffat likes to notice peoples different
quirks and bring it into the script. So it’s not a trait of the Doctor but the
actor e.g. like how he runs funny.
Q: PC why does Doctor who appeal to young people today especially with an episode like “Thin Ice”? PC: (I loved how he answered this question and I’m not going to do it
justice but here goes) There
are a lot of things going on in the world right now which are bad, terrible and
crazy. And it’s up to writers to put across a message about the times we live
in. The Doctor sees things from a different perspective from all of time and
space, to see what’s truly good and what’s truly bad. It’s in the Doctor’s
character and we all have to keep saying it
Q: Do they have any input into how their character is written? JC: The script is fluid during filming and Moffat can put a joke she said before hand into the script AK:
Likes how Moffat writes characters to be unique, so they have their own
speech pattern. You can see a line without naming a character, but you
can still picture exactly who would say it PC: Even though he doesn’t change the lines they can interpret and deliver the lines differently from how they are written in the script
Q: Fave episode? JC: Vincent and the Doctor, likes she get to meet such influential people from the past AK:
Also really loved Vincent and the
Doctor, and that the Doctor was able to take him into the future and show him
how people admired his genius and talent (honestly one of my fave
scenes also) PC:
Frontier in Space (To him only six people
cheered after he said this so jokingly wondered if we are all really Doctor Who
fans in the audience)
Just some things I took note of
JC knew for a year she was leaving the show. They had already
decided that Clara could not return to Earth, so she was happy with the ending
AK told us David Tennant loves playing cards. And him and Catherine Tate played a game between takes which she joined, to name a band from the last letter of the previous band named. They all got so into it they were more into the game than the actual scenes
Alex was asked if she would do a show with John Barrowman as River Song and Captain Jack Harkness. She walked over to Peter and covered his ears by placing his head against her stomach and covering the other with her hand, and whispered yes into the microphone.
They are all for the next Doctor being a girl, PC added a woman as well. If they could choose an actress to be the Doctor AK choose Frances de la Tour, PC choose Melissa McCarthy, and JC declined to answer sort of hinting she could be in the running (the host added because the Doctor can choose a face he has known i.e. like PC)
AK says she can’t have a fave Doctor because it’s the same
person but he is like a snake which sheds its skin (loved the metaphor), but River Song enjoys that the
different Doctors come in different shapes and sizes ;)
PC told us his punk rock band was called Dream Boys (was very embarrassed by this admission) and his stage outfit was a white shirt and a bow tie. So he has always loved bow ties
The fave character AK has played is Lady Macbeth. She never grew up believing she would be on tv as Britain doesn’t have Hollywood like America. So hoped to make it in theater
PC was asked what it was like being a side character on DW
before becoming the Doctor. He gave a funny excerpt of how he sneaked into the
Tardis and played with the console because he thought it would be his one and
only chance in the cheapest toga ever made (thankfully it wasn’t)