God, this finale is so much more enjoyable the 2nd time around.
Honestly, I appreciate that the showrunners resisted the urge to go dark. I love that they ended on a hopeful note. I love that every character was able to find peace in the end. In this day and age, its downright bold to go for the (conditionally) heartwarming ending.
Things I loved:
- I love the way Captain Flint went full hero in the end to save madi and salvage his partnership with Silver
- I love that, in the end, both Silver and Flint behaved in a way that was consistent with the the way they’ve been characterized from the very start: Silver, for as long as we’ve known him, has been a schemer and Flint has been vengeful.
- I love that Flint found his way back to Thomas
Some will say that it was all too convenient and pat? But idgaf. It was beautiful. And appropriate imo.
- I loved the final scene between flint and silver. I loved that Flint just…laid himself bare. His controlled rage over losing his foothold on the war and his revenge was EVERYTHING
- I love that they gave Madi room to be angry with Silver. Her wrath was short lived (thank god) but it was true to what we know of her as a character. As much as I enjoyed the Flint + Madi friendship, I absolutely fucking hated the way he framed this war to Madi–as a winnable and worthwhile effort–and I hated that she took him at his word. Because he knew better. As a former Navy admiral with in-depth knowledge of British military systems, he had to fucking know better. He had to know on some level that this war was a fucking death march - that it was a completely symbolic, but ultimately fruitless effort. You can’t wrest control of a powerful empire without the help of an equally powerful empire - he knew that. But…as Silver said, we are irrational where we are vulnerable - and heaven knows that this war (and the painful losses that powered it it) is Flint’s chief vulnerability. For Flint, this war wasn’t about power–it was about destruction. Dude “wanted to see the world burn.” Love that Silver called him on this at the end.
- I love that Silver didn’t lie to Madi. I love that he was 100 percent honest with her. I LOVE that he’s been orchestrating this grand cockblock this entire time KNOWING (knowing!!!!!) that he might save madi’s life but still yet lose HER FOREVER. I have said that Silver loves Madi selfishly–and I still think that’s true. BUT in sabotaging this war, he put her life ahead of all else–even his own happiness. Good shit. Otp otp otp otp!!!
- I love that Madi showed up on that cliff in the end. I love, love love that Silver, true to his word, waited for her to understand and forgive him. The final shot of them on the bluffs was fucking breathtaking. Can’t wait to gif it.
I’ll talk about the things I didn’t love later. Tonight I’m happy - gonna bask in that feeling for a while. G'night!