top 5 mini Lodge-Cooper headcanons? You've got me hooked on the idea of them as moms!
1. veronica fights to keep her lids from drooping when it’s all over; she’s sweaty, and exhausted, and the rhythmic beeping of the hospital does little to help ward off sleep. and betty, her sweet, glossy eyed, sniffling betty. she just keeps looking between their baby girl and her exhausted wife, keeps telling veronica how good she did, how much she loves her, and veronica feels safe when sleep finally takes her, betty will take care of the two of them
2. the first couple weeks redefine exhaustion. their daughter, while tiny and endearing, can put up one hell of a fuss when she wants to. she takes after veronica in that way. it doesn’t help veronica’s sleep (or lack there of) that her fussing is only quelled when she’s cradled against veronica’s chest. that one, ronnie’s convinced, she picked up from betty
3. veronica falls asleep with their daughter pressed carefully to her chest and betty looks on with affection blooming inside hers. matching dark hair, identical brown eyes that betty finds are suddenly blinking up at her in miniature. and just like that, tiny arms are reaching out toward betty, pushing away from veronica’s chest with sleep kissed red into her cheek. and - and she’s never done this before. since they’ve taken her home she’s preferred veronica and betty’s been okay with that. but it doesn’t stop the tears that well in her eyes as she scoops her babbling little girl into her arms
4. she’s talking now, walking now, and lord does she use it all to her advantage. she’d dipped out of the bathtub while veronica was turned around getting her towel and she runs around the house dripping water as she goes. “betty! help me catch her she’s going to slip,” veronica tries sounding stern but she lets out a laugh when their daughter ducks under a table. it’s a joint effort, one where veronica nearly slips in a puddle of what she hopes is water, tossing the towel to betty, missing, and having it land gracefully over their shrieking toddler. betty grabs her then, wraps the towel around her more soundly and peppering kisses all over her face. veronica easily slips into the mix, arms coming around both her wife and daughter. she presses a triumphant kiss to betty’s lips and then another to soothe defeat into the still wet hair of their squirming toddler
5. saturday mornings have always been betty’s favorite and now that the two of them are three, betty’s only more sure of this. she rises first and let’s veronica sleep in, not bothering to change their daughter out of her pajamas as she scoops her into her arms and carries her back to their room. “mama’s sleeping,” betty whispers to her, “can you be quite for me?” she nods in response, pressing her tiny finger to betty’s lips to shush her. she sits in betty’s lap and the two of them watch saturday morning cartoons, betty carding through her short dark hair with one hand, the other tracing over veronica’s back to ease her into consciousness. it’s the sleepy smile veronica finally flashes when she rolls over and yawns, the way the youngest lodge-cooper starts bouncing excitedly in betty’s lap, telling her that, “mama’s awake!” that solidifies her love for saturday’s all over again