01. Gypsy is a slur & there is no “positive” or “acceptable” way of using it if you aren’t Romani (or part of a group related to Romani that has been targeted by the slur too). Some Romani might not find it offensive but still it should not be part of your vocabulary – the same goes for the term “gypped”. If you want to talk about the slur censor it or simply call it “the g slur.”
02. Anti Romani racism exists everywhere and there is a slur for the us in every language. Gypsy is the slur used in the English language but there is also Zigan, Tigan, Cigan, Gitano, Zigeuner, etc. - a lot of them stem from the Greek word for “slave” and are considered even worse than the Gypsy slur. However all of them are still slurs.
03. Gypsy is nothing but a derogatory slur against Romani that has been screamed at us while we have been branded, enslaved, hunted down, murdered, put through a genocide and a holocaust, segregated and discriminated against. It doesn’t meant “free-spirited”, it doesn’t mean “wanderer” or anything along those lines either.
04. Romani is the proper name of the people that are being targeted by the G slur. Some people write it as Rromani which is also correct. (But there are a few groups that are part of the Romani Diaspora that don’t identify as Romani.) The term Roma/Rroma can be used too, however not all Romani are Roma.
05. Romani and Romaniando not mean the same thing. Romani are brown people originally from India. Romanians are people from the European country Romania.
06. The official term for racism directed towards Romani is called “Antiziganism”, that term however is offensive since it includes the word “Zigan” which is a horrible slur against Romani. Please do not use that term and instead use “Anti-Romani racism”, “Anti-Romanism”, etc.
07. Anti-Romani racism is very extreme in Europe (segregation in housing, education and health care, forced sterilizations, evictions, demolition of Romani neighbourhoods, police brutality, etc), which is why we even received the title of “Europe’s Most Hated”, but it’s not an exclusively European thing. Anti-Romani racism exists in America and Canada as well. (Canada even has an immigration ban on Romani.)
08. “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding” does not display actual Romani people as far as I have heard so it does not represent Romani people/culture at all.
09. Your believes that Romani “don’t want to work”, “don’t want to send their children to school”, “steal children”, “are dirty”, “genetically prone to crime”, “are lazy”, etc. are nothing but racist stereotypes and left over Nazi propaganda. All of them are untrue as well. (Also: Romani would love to work and go to school but the extreme discrimination against us in the field of education makes that very hard. And the widely spread traditional anti-Romani attitudes and prejudices don’t make it any easier either.)
10. Stereotypes such as that all Romani women are “sexual temptresses” and promiscuous disregarding of age are obviously incorrect too. Believing in those stereotypes is very harmful and dangerous as well because despite Romani being only a minority in most European countries we make up the highest % when it comes to sex trafficking victims.
11. Romani culture doesn’t have anything to do with witchcraft, wicca, paganism, etc. We didn’t create tarot, palm reading or crystal balls either. You can stop calling yourself a “Gypsy Witch” and faking Romani heritage now. The only reason why assumptions like that came to exist is because of racist believes and lies spread by the church. Our skills with medical herbs and palm reading were seen as “evidence of heresy” and from the 16th century onward we were outlawed, expelled and persecuted, culminating in the organized killing of our people.
12. Fortune teller costumes are usually racist. Romani women have always been stereotyped as fortune tellers which is why the stereotypical image of a fortune teller is always linked with Romani women - dark skin, messy black hair, a big nose, a “weird” accent, a headscarf, big hoop earrings, gold coins added to clothes and an “untrustworthy/deceiving” nature, etc. Personally, I’ve never seen a fortune teller costume that wasn’t racist. (A lot of people even use the term “fortune teller” like a synonym for the G slur nowadays.) A person’s race/ethnicity is not a costume, so if you ever consider dressing up as a fortune teller chose something different.
Of course I don’t speak for all Romani. This is more of a “faq” actually since these are the types of questions and incorrect assumptions I have noticed the most. If you are Romani too please correct me if I made any mistakes and please feel free to add anything onto this list if you like!
Aries: People assume you’re immature or childish. The truth is, you often can tell when people need a boost, and you do your best to cheer them up. Physical activity is your outlet for any stress you have. You can appear selfish because you’re often discredited or overlooked.
Taurus: People assume you are stubborn and obsessed with food. The truth is, you’re only stubborn because you’ve already taken the other person into consideration. You’re not just obsessed with food, you have a passion for everything and can find pleasure in the little things.
Gemini: People assume you’re heartless, a gossip, and unable to commit. The truth is you don’t mean to hurt people. You just don’t want to settle for less than what you deserve. You don’t like secrets and like for everything to be out in the open– that’s the best way to solve problems in your eyes.
Cancer: People assume that you’re overly sensitive and a crybaby. The truth is, you’re the closest sign to being psychic. You have a deep intuition for the emotions of others and that can be overwhelming. You rarely cry when you’re sad; you cry only when you’re frustrated because you put other people’s well being before your own, and often times it comes back against you.
Leo: People assume you’re a diva or too bossy. The truth is that you know your worth. You refuse to be mistreated, but what other people don’t often see is that you also want other people to be treated well too. You appear bossy because you know your heart is in the right place, and you want to be leader of the pack because you have the best intentions for everyone within your circle.
Virgo: People assume that you’re boring and monotonous and have a general sterile attitude about you. The truth is, you’ve found a groove that works for you and you stick to it. Why fix something that isn’t broken? Far from boring, you appreciate other people’s beauty and art so much that you often forget about your own talents.
Libra: People assume that you’re a flip flopper and somewhat of an airhead. The truth is, you want to see all sides of the story before you make a choice on what you believe. Your opinion may change as you learn more. You’re very intelligent, and often focus on the big picture, which may cause you to overlook the smaller things.
Scorpio: People assume that you’re promiscuous and have dark thoughts and bad intentions. The truth is all you want is to be loved. You need that human connection and crave monogamous passionate relationships. You have a deep sense of pride, and when people hurt you, putting a wall up and throwing rocks over the edge to destroy whoever let you down is your best defense mechanism.
Sagittarius: People assume that you’re aloof, unloyal, and a flake. The truth is you have so many dreams you want to fulfill, and you don’t let anyone get in the way of your path in life. Your eye is always on the horizon. You don’t hurt people intentionally, but you often blurt hurtful comments out. Unlike Gemini, you go straight to the source, but with the same intentions. You believe people deserve the truth.
Capricorn: People assume that you’re cold, and dull, and only a fair weather friend. The truth is that it hasn’t always been that way. In youth, Capricorn is eager to please others and wants to be appreciated. You’ve often been let down, and use coldness as a defense. Once others gain your trust, you are intensely loyal and want nothing but to take care of your partner or friends.
Aquarius: People assume that you aren’t ever serious, or generally basic (only following trends). The truth is you don’t disclose your goals or dreams because you don’t want pressure from others, or you don’t want to disappoint them if you fail. You’d much rather help others reach their goals. You keep up with trends because you have an open mind and you embrace change in a positive way.
Pisces: People assume that you’re naive and always have your head in the clouds. The truth is that you believe what you focus on and think about is what comes to be. You try to stay positive, because if you focus on negativity you become easily overwhelmed. It doesn’t mean that you’re blind to it. Because of this sensitivity, you often cope by finding ways to escape mentally whether by reading or listening to music etc, which benefits you because you’re more inclined to have artistic talent, and you crave the inspiration.
east coast blogger: today i murdered a rat with my own crystalized rage and hatred west coast blogger: this beach is so relaxing my body melted right into the sand midwest blogger: o Lords of corn, what sins have we committed for the weather to punish us so southern blogger: y'all’d’ve
Aries : passionate about everything but nothing’s ever their fault even when it definitely is. If they aren’t the center of the attention then what even is the point of living. Tries to be cool but is actually just really mad about everything.
Taurus : goes from entirely in control and well grounded to a flying rage machine in a heartbeat, something of a straight shooter but isn’t afraid of getting too deep.
Gemini : either the sweetest person ever who will always be there for you or the embodiment of every bad sorority girl stereotype regardless of gender
Cancer : either they cry all the time and love all their friends with overwhelming passion, or do that but are terrified of anyone knowing they actually care about anything so layer it under 9 billion layers of cynicism and Grump™
Leo : shining star made of smiles, wants to be an intellectual and goes through phases of being exactly that but goes back to being Not Intellectual the minute they stop being serious then forget to go back for like a month
Virgo : sure they’re organized as heck but their opinion of themselves is 6 times higher than is probably appropriate though you can bet money they probably hate themselves because of latent issues from their childhood
Libra : happy fading into the background, great team player who’s always off in dreamland until their friend needs em at which point their emotional state can best be described as watching a tree grow from a seedling to a 50 foot tall redwood in the span of 4 seconds
Scorpio : isn’t actually dark/spooky/mysterious but try convincing them of that, the kind of person who will say they “just get people, you know?” even if they definitely do not get people, but hey their heart is in the right place it’s just usually five feet ahead of where it’s supposed to be
Sagittarius : the best to be around when they’re paying attention to you, the worst when they aren’t there, takes 9 years or 9 nanoseconds to text you back, hilarious and sociable, dissociating to. a different planet while still being able to sink a perfect shot in beer pong I don’t get it
Capricorn : so grounded they might be dead, if they’re a chick they’re the best friend ever and everyone should have one, if they’re a bro they’re a Bro™ who takes being a manly, Good Friend way too far, emotions who? Never heard of em.
Aquarius : the sweetest person but you need to be a level 600 friend for them to be consistent with you. not into the. whole “planning ahead thing” and are only happy in a relationship if they’re constantly moving in that relationship whether it’s being perpetually single or having a volatile love life in general drama happens and it takes them a month to notice it
Pisces : if a children’s sports competition had a personality it’d be a Pisces, all in immediately and happy to go along with what their friends want but if they get hurt all hell breaks loose
How to figure out your MBTI type, according to Tumblr
If you play sports, do drugs, regularly injure yourself and have no idea what the words “future” or “long term” mean, you’re an ESTP.
If you are loud, fun, have never had an intelligent thought, and party for 27 hours a day, you’re an ESFP.
If you are a psychopathic bag of internet trolls, secretly are building Frankenstein and/or an Iron Man suit in your basement, and have never had a conversation that wasn’t an argument, you’re an ENTP.
If you eat rainbows and poop butterflies, can’t stop daydreaming about love and/or memes, constantly flake out on others, and have never finished anything in your life, you’re an ENFP.
If you love rules, yelling, unborn babies, crushing the dreams of your NF children, and being emotionally insecure, you’re an ESTJ.
If you are social, caring, and also extremely shallow, fake, and boring, you’re an ESFJ.
If you consider yourself intelligent, occasionally think about the future, and have zero respect for others, you’re an ENTJ.
If you founded a charity to save all the children in Africa and were born with the ability to read minds, you’re an ENFJ.
If you ever go out into the woods in a leather jacket and skinny jeans to build motorcycles with your bare hands you’re an ISTP.
If you have deep feelings, nobody understands you, and you like to get high and draw emotional pictures, you’re an ISFP.
If you have zero feelings, moderate six subreddits, love to procrastinate, and are secretly twelve calculators in a trench coat, you’re an INTP.
If nobody understands your tortured, selfish soul and you write dramatic poetry every waking hour that you don’t turn and toss in bed, wondering if anyone will ever understand your terrible plight of life, you’re an INFP.
If you are quiet, considerate, and literally made of chocolate, you’re an ISFJ.
If you love rules, never have ideas, and are extremely boring, you’re an ISTJ
And if you have ever thought about the future ever and consider yourself at least slightly above average intelligence, well you obviously must be an INTJ.
And finally, if you have ever thought about the future, have feelings, and want to be special, you must be INFJ. Did you know it’s the rarest type?
I’m really confused as to why people can’t leave black girls/women alone. Everyday it’s something new on twitter. “Black girls want your hair”. “My happiness started once I decided to stop dating black women”. We’re literally just here minding our own business and people just feel the need to put us down outta nowhere and for no good reason.