Is your local theatre having a play for kids, and you think you might want to audition? Do you think you might like to try? If so, this is the article for YOU!
1. Email the director, if you saw a flyer for it, then the number is usually on it, if you heard from a friend, ask them.
2. Make sure you schedule your Time and Date so you don’t forget. If you need a song prepared, get it. You usually won’t have to sing a long one, so sing happy birthday, or something like that.
3. When the day comes, look your best and get to the audition ON TIME or EARLY. Actors need to be punctual, show the director that you can do anything he/she needs you to do.
4. The director will normally talk to the kids before having them sing.
5. Sing your best, and don’t be shy! If you are, just look at one place in the place you’re auditioning for the play, and focus on that, that will make you forget about everything, and it’ll make your voice get louder.
6. During callbacks, the director will give you scripts, and assign you a part to read. He/She may give you time to think about how you will say your line(s) in that section.
7. Read loud and clear. If you have a sore throat, tell the director, and the director won’t push you “too’ hard. Do your best.
8. When the audition and callbacks are over, you can go home, if you get cast the director will email you.
- Sometimes you will sing a song you pick, but other times the director will choose some songs from the play.
- Don’t seem to desperate. ACT naturally.
- Have fun. Acting is work but you can also be silly. Just don’t go over the top.
- If you’re trying out for a part and you have a little time to think about it do so. Example: If you’re trying out for a character like a doll like Babbete in Raggedy Ann and Andy think about how a little French doll would feel in a big room with nobody she knew, or maybe you’re trying out for a dinosaur in the Toy Story or Dinosaur train think about the character, maybe he’s scary and maybe he’s friendly or just a wimp.
- Audition for the part like it’s opening night. But just don’t wear to much make-up or jewelry.