Diagnostic criteria for autism are always so badly written.
Like, the trains thing.
I’m going to keep coming back to the trains thing because it baffles me.
So, the example used for special interests in a lot of diagnostic criteria is trains.
“Has an unusually strong interest in something - for example, trains”
And, like, sure. Okay. Special interests can be anything. Trains are a possibility.
But, like, special interests don’t appear out of nowhere. You generally have to be exposed to something first to get a special interest in it.
So, like, I know a lot of autistic people, and I know no one with a special interest in trains.
You know what the most common special interest is, in my experience?
Yeah, go fucking figure, the ubiquitous movie franchise that almost everyone has seen at least one movie of is the most common special interest, in my experience.
Now, I do kind of understand the trains thing. The line between special interest and regular interest isn’t always super obvious.
Like, collecting Star Wars toys, or writing Star Wars fanfic, or marathoning the movies a bunch of times doesn’t necessarily make it a special interest.
And since it’s socially acceptable (especially in modern day nerd culture) to do all of those things, it’s not a glaring indicator of autism to outsiders.
If someone’s really into something obscure - like trains - however, it can make the fact that it’s a special interest super obvious.
But it’s still bad to have it be the go-to special interest example because it’s just not that common.
Plenty of autistic people don’t have obscure special interests. Their SIs are in the Marvel movies or Star Wars or Star Trek or Five Nights at Freddy’s.
Hell, part of the problem with women and girls not getting diagnosed is because no one notices their special interests in, like, makeup or boy bands.
When you use “trains” as the example, you’re sending the implicit message that special interests have to be obscure and out of the social norm, and that’s just not the case for most people - especially now that a lot of geek culture has gone mainstream and there’s a huge nostalgia cash-in.
Having a special interest in Power Rangers was weird for me when I was 14. It’s not now that it’s a big blockbuster movie and most people exposed to the internet review-sphere are at least aware of Linkara’s History of Power Rangers.
Special interests don’t have to be outside the social norm to be special interests. It’s how the autistic person feels about them and engages with them that defines it.
This is the start of a series I am working on. Each painting is Acrylic or an Acrylic/Oil Pastel combination. At this point, I’ve only done Ariel, Aurora, Rey, Jasmine and *Merida. Who do you want to see next?
Check out my etsy shop to purchase prints: www.etsy.com/shop/lmorrisart
Kylo Ren: [walking into his quarters, startled] Oh! [clutches his chest] Force, I forgot you guys were here. Oh. [swallowing] You’re…a ginger. Obi-Wan’s Force Ghost: [reading a book]Pardon? Kylo: You…I meant, normally when I see you you look like an old man, but today you’re… Obi-Wan: [looking up] Oh, yes. Well I am a ghost, you know. I can look however I want, really. I suppose I did have a bit of a reddish quality to my hair in my younger years, now that you mention it. [runs his hand through it] Kylo: [slightly discombobulated] …I see. Where’s Grandfather? Obi-Wan: [goes back to reading] He’s still sleeping. He was up very late last night. Kylo: [eyes widen] Oh. [clears throat] Look, since it’s just the two of us, Kenobi, I thought I’d get a couple of things clear between us. Obi-Wan: [mildly amused] Very well. Kylo: I’m not coming back to the light side, OK? And I’ll have no more of you trying to…manipulate me into doing what you want me to do. No more mind games. No tricks. Obi-Wan: Of course not. I wouldn’t dream of it. Kylo: These are my quarters, and so we play by my rules. Obi-Wan: Certainly. Kylo: [standing up straighter] Frankly I never even understood why my whole family seemed to be so preoccupied with you. I mean, now that I’ve finally met you and you’re just some…Jedi. Obi-Wan: I agree. I am just a simple man. It is rather silly, isn’t it? [returns to his book] Kylo: [staring at him, subconsciously fixing his own hair] …and really, you know, why would I even want your approval? Or your attention? [scoffs as Obi-Wan continues to largely ignore him] You know – you know what I did today, Kenobi? Hmm? Obi-Wan: What’s that, Kylo? Kylo: [defiantly] I left a sacrifice at the tomb of Darth Bane. And I went to a meeting to talk about the new superweapon we’re building. That’s right – we’re making another one. Obi-Wan: [sincerely] Oh, well, let us hope the fourth time’s the charm, then. [goes back to reading again] [Kylo watches him in silence, and starts to walk away before walking back over to Obi-Wan] Kylo: …and anyways, Kenobi, like, if you were going to try and make me do something for you, what would it even be? [laughs unconvincingly] You know, it’s not like I’d listen to you. Obi-Wan: Yes, I know better than to try and ask you to do something for me. I won’t even bother you for a cup of tea. Though that would be lovely. But I know you don’t care what I think. Kylo: That’s right, Jedi. [glances up at Obi-Wan’s hair again] Anyways. I’m going to go take care of a few things. Obi-Wan: [nods] Certainly. I won’t get in your way.
[Kylo leaves. Obi-Wan smirks to himself as he hears a tea kettle in the kitchen.]
Author’s notes: This is a repost from yesterday. I’m not too sure what happened but the fic wasn’t showing up in their respected tags so no one could really find it. Here’s to the fic showing up in the damn tags. I struggled with finding out the “space reason” and after skimming through a few fics with the same prompt, I went with the good ole fashion “damn, that’s a tiny bed…what ever shall we do?” BITH! SLEEP IN THE SAME BED, THAT’S WHAT!
Supposedly, a man happened to spot you and Cassian discussing with a confidant who happens to be his friend. Assuming you two are with the Alliance, the kind man offered up a room in his home as asylum from any potential threat. An Alliance sympathizer’s home is better than sleeping on the U-wing bench while sitting up. Though Cassian is skeptical of the man, you take the sympathizer’s offer with a punch to Cassian’s left side with your elbow. Best not to make a scene in a town full of locals.
1. Favourite Star Wars movie? (Episode 1-R1).
2. Favourite Star Wars era?
3 Favourite Star Wars trilogy? (Originals, Prequels, Sequels).
4. Jedi or Sith?
5. Empire or Rebellion?
6. Bounty Hunter or Clone/Strom/First order Trooper?
7. Rebels or Clone wars?
8. Favourite Star Wars book?
9. Favourite Star Wars Comic?
10. Favourite Star Wars game?
11. Top 5 favourite female Jedi?
12. Top 5 favourite male Jedi?
13. Top 5 favourite Bounty Hunters?
14. Top 5 favourite Sith?
15. Top 5 favourite Droids?
16. Top 5 favourite Troopers?
17. Top 5 favourite Senators?
18. Top 5 favourite Republic/Rebellion ships.
19. Top 5 favourite Separatist/Imperial ships.
20. Top 5 favourite planets?
21. Where would you live in the Star Wars universe?
22. Who would you be in the Star Wars universe?
23. What ship would you own?
24. What Droid would you own?
25. Would you have a team, or would you work alone?
26. If you where a Jedi, would you be a Knight or a Master?
27. If you where a Jedi Master, would you have a Padawan?
28. If you where a Sith, would you be the Master or Apprentice?
29. If you where a Sith Lord, would you have an Apprentice?
30. Married, in a relationship, or single?
31. Top 5 favourite species?
32. What species would you be?
33. What species is your type?
34. Who would your best friend be?
35. Would you customise your ship?
36. Would you customise your Droid?
37. What colour skin/eyes would you have?
38. If male, beard or no beard?
39. 1 lightsaber, 2 lightsabers, double lightsaber, or 2 double lightsabers?
40. What colour would your lightsaber(s) be?
41. If you’re a Bounty Hunter, what armour would you have?
42. Would you customise your armour?
43. What colour scheme would your armour/robes be?
44. If you where a Droid, what Droid would you be?
45. What colour would your droid self be?
46. Pod racing or ship racing?
47. Space battle or ground battle??
48. Would you have survived order 66?
49. Where would you go after order 66?
50. What would you do after order 66?
51. Do you have any Star Wars Pop Vinyls?
52. Do you have any Star Wars collections?
53. Do you have any Star Wars art?
54. Do you create any Star Wars art?
55. Do you like/read any Legends/non canon stuff?
56. Top 5 favourite Legends character?
57. Who is your Star Wars role model?
58. Top 5 saddest Star Wars deaths?
59. If you could bring any Star Wars character back to life who would it be?
60. If you found out the Star Wars universe was real, would you move there or stay here?
61. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being very little, 10 being an absolute know it all) how well do you know the Star Wars universe?
Here we go people, just a little ask post i created. Enjoy, reblog, ask me, get people to ask you!!! Have fun!!!