While you’re sitting back and enjoying the NHL season, we scouted the internet to find you some of the coolest hockey facts you probably never knew! Below is ten of the best!
1. Kris Draper was traded for just $1 in 1993 to Detroit Red Wings. Thus, he began his reputation as the “One Dollar Man” and went on to win four Stanley Cups for Detroit.
2. Even if Wayne Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he would still have more points than any other past or present hockey player. He had more career assists than any other player has total points.
3. The Slovakian women’s hockey team qualified for the 2010 Olympics by beating Bulgaria 82-0. They later lost to team Canada in Vancouver 18-0.
4. Doctors in British Columbia are banned from talking about hockey during surgery.
5. NHL does not own the Stanley Cup and any hockey team could potentially challenge for the trophy in the event of a season-long lockout.
6. There are two dozen engraving errors on the Stanley Cup including misspelling Boston as “Bqstqn”, the Toronto Maple Leafs as “Maple Leaes,” and the New York Islanders as “Ilanders.” Only one of the errors is not a spelling error. When the Oilers won the cup in 83-84, owner Peter Pocklington had his dad’s name snuck onto the team roster. The NHL caught the error later and had Basil Pocklington’s name crossed out with X’s.
7. The original Stanley Cup was only seven inches high.
8. Prior to the 1927-28 season, forward passes were not allowed in hockey.
9. When the New Jersey Devils won the Stanley Cup in 2003, goaltender, Martin Brodeur took the Cup to a movie theater and ate popcorn out of it.
10. NHL overtime was eliminated during WWII, because there were restrictions on train travel, so they couldn’t risk going long and missing the one and only train that night. It was only reinstated in 1983-84.
If your blog content is 75% hockey or more, reblog so I can check you out and follow you! I just made this hockey sideblog and am looking for more people to fill my dash with relevant content. Bonus if you’re into the Chicago Blackhawks (esp Kane, Panarin, Teuvo, Shaw, and TVR) and/or the Washington Capitals (super bonus for Willy&Lats, Burky). Oh and this is a sideblog so I’ll follow you under my main, @baewhishaw, but all hockey stuff will be on here ^^’