Hi! I remember you saying that you do a lot of work in dreams. I want to try and start doing stuff in the dreamscape, and I was wondering if you had any advice! Techniques or things to keep in mind. Thanks!
Hello lovely anon!
Yes, you’re correct! I do a lot of dream work within my own spiritual practice.
Before you can really benefit from dream work, you need to be able to remember the dreams that you have. There’s no point in having conversations with your deities/spirits, or other visionary dreams if you cannot remember them in the morning!
- Learn about the brain and why we dream
- Tell yourself out loud each time you go to sleep this: “I will remember my dreams”. Say it a few times, solidify it within your unconscious while you doze off to sleep… When I was starting off, I found this to be the kickstarter to remembering my dreams.
- Use spellwork. Create or find reliable sigils for dream recall. Sleep with amethyst under your pillow to enhance dream recall and dream vividness. Create a Dream Sachet using items you associate with dreaming. For me, these items would be (Black, Lavender, Yellow; Mimosa, Juniper Berry, Angelica, Chamomile, Dandelion, Lavender, Peppermint, Lotus, Amethyst, Labradorite, Moonstone, Clear Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Garnet)
NOTE: Marijuana consumption/smoking can impede your dream recall. Try not to consume/smoke less than 6 hours before you go to sleep.
- Keep a schedule of some kind. When you’re a beginner, this is very important! Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and waking up at the same time in the morning (Yes, even on weekends).
- Keep a dream journal. Your mind will want to remember your dreams, if you show importance in them. When you do remember dreams, write them out as detailed as you can within a journal (Try not to use a laptop or other electronic device, as the bright light will wake your mind up faster and make you lose pieces of your dream before you have a chance to write it down)
- Exercise & watch the food you consume. Exercise will help you have a more restful sleep, and will make it easier to slip through the different cycles of sleep. Nutrients and water will help keep your brain healthy and working correctly. Try drinking Chamomile tea if plain water becomes too repetitive for your taste buds.
If you are wanting to get into Lucid Dreaming (Which is best when you are wanting to communicate with deities/spirits), that’s a whole other can of worms that can only be achieved once you’re able to dream recall. Rule of thumb for Lucid Dreams with spirits/deities, is that you will NOT be able to influence the deity/spirit in the dream in any fashion. They will have their own will, and will manipulate the dream as they see fit. It’ll be like two people having control of the same computer. You’ll know what is your doing, and what is theirs.
Dreaming in Another Language
Lucid Dreaming, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
Senses Initiated Lucid Dreaming (SSILD)
Why Do People Fail At Lucid Dreaming?
Bad Stuff About Lucid Dreaming — False Memories