It occurs to me that one possible reason why I find fairies of the Fair Folk Beautiful and Terrible Kings and Queens Blah Blah boring and vaguely distasteful is that when you strip down all the glamour, they’re basically bored irresponsible rich kids randomly fucking with average people for their amusement just because they can. Like I get that Spring Storms Made Flesh and Lords of the Secret World but if Kellyaghnn from PE invited you to a Victorian-themed party complete with 1000$-a-piece tiny hats at her sixteen-room mansion with all her immaculately spray-tanned friends who giggle about What Fools These Working Classes Be, and then when you ate a single raisin promptly told you that now you have to stay in her house and work as her servant for free for the rest of your life to pay it off, possibly while dressed as a farm animal, you wouldn’t respond by sighing dreamily about how she’s Beyond Good and Evil.
She was beautiful.
There was no denying it.
But she wasn’t that kind of beautiful that made everyone turn,
Or took everyones breath away when she entered the room.
Her beauty was hidden,
But once you’ve seen it she becomes nothing but beautiful.
Shes the kind of beautiful that keeps you up at night,
The kind that makes you love every part of her.
Some people may not see it,
And you know she can’t,
But she’s beautiful.
Theres no denying it.
a few people (usually at gas stations, noting my hail destroyed car) have asked, “why do you storm chase” and the only good answer I have is “why don’t you?”
it’s true I’m not a classical storm chaser. I tend to entirely different areas of the storm than most do (the part that still has some light if possible) and really, I’m a photographer chasing a photo more than a storm chaser but I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want to scream across the prairie after some monster so big and alive you can hardly take it all in (even at 15mm). the complexity, drama, violence and power make almost anything possible. I’ve seen things that took my breath away, and cowered in my car praying my glass would hold and that nothing terribly nasty was living in that shroud of rain that pinned me to where I was.
I’ve wasted entire days on hope.
I hope that storm can organize itself despite all the science saying it can’t. I hope I can get to this spot on the map before it does. I hope the light holds. or the road hasn’t heaved too bad this winter.
every year i commit myself to only chase the big bad boys that have structure, and form, and the rare magic of a fully formed super cell and every year I find myself rolling across the gravel roads after some pulse storm that maybe, just maybe has something pretty in it.
so entering year three of really learning and chasing more seriously my answer would be, why aren’t you out there, living and dying with the gust fronts and hail cores and living creatures sucking up the prairie moist. really. why?
Reflections on wet pavements. The city itself is a natural watercolourist! It’s been a long rainy day at the library, and although I feel frustrated with myself and my work right now, it was worth rolling up just for this. 2016, Photo Diary, April 11.
And, when the wind picked
Up again, we saw,
Smelled, the absence:
Winter’s nip and tear – a staple
Of the season, slippery, like
Mercury across a petri
Plate (silvery, and in an undefined
State of matter) –
Had left the air.
In it’s place, a wetness
That begged to be breathed in and
Was taking shape.
Burrowing in the hollow
Place between shoulder blades,
Bringing with it the dull
Ache, the fullness of change,
We will let the wet swell,
We will let Spring take its’ place.
my process is simple these days. get in the car. see where people are and drive the other way. take pictures. delete 80% of them. work on the other 20%. share 3 or 4. forget the rest. get up the next day and do it all over again.
Now that Montreal’s all snowed in (yes, I had thought it was spring too…), thought I would share my Tommy cafe pics with you. Throwing it back to a beautiful day in March that gave me way too much hope on an early spring… Nonethess, such a cute spot in Old Montreal to check out! It’s really one of the best in the city. <3
Sidenote: The acai bowl wasn’t mine. My friend asked a stranger to Instagram his aesthetic food.