“I can’t even say the word. Why can’t I say the word? I mean, why can’t I just say…? I mean, what is wrong? Why do I have to be so ashamed? I mean, why can’t I just say the truth? I mean, be who I am? I’m thirty-five years old, I’m so afraid to tell people…Susan, I’m gay.” – Ellen Morgan (@theellenshow) to Susan (@lauradern), “Ellen,” “The Puppy Episode,” April 30, 1997.
On April 30, 1997, twenty years ago today and two weeks after Ellen DeGeneres publicly acknowledged her sexuality, Ellen Morgan, lead character of ABC’s “Ellen,” came out.
After the first three seasons of “Ellen,” producers were frustrated with a lack of focus and Ellen’s lack of interest in the stereotypical sitcom relationship; one producer suggested Ellen just get a puppy to show the world that a relationship was not in the cards, hence “The Puppy Episode.”
During the fourth season, as word of the coming out episode spread, a backlash started; a bomb threat came, DeGeneres’ safety was threatened, sponsors (including J.C. Penney and Wendy’s) pulled out, affiliates refused to run the episode, and right-wing conservatives hurled anti-gay slurs (Reverend Jerry Falwell, for example, hurled the infamous “Ellen Degenerate,” to which DeGeneres responded, “I’ve been getting that since the fourth grade”).
And, even after “The Puppy Episode” drew forty-two million viewers and won two Emmys, a Peabody Award, and a GLAAD Media Award, ABC still prefaced each subsequent episode of "Ellen” with a parental advisory warning.
The show was canceled after its fifth season.
“It’s easy to forget now, when we’ve come so far,” President Barack Obama said when awarding DeGeneres the Presidential Medal of Freedom, “just how much courage was required for Ellen to come out…What an incredible burden that was to bear. To risk your career like that. People don’t do that very often.”
There is no question that Ellen Morgan’s self-declaration marked a paradigm shift for queer representation in media. Never again would it be impossible to imagine a gay lead character, nor a supporting character that defied rigid stereotypes, in mainstream media. #lgbthistory #HavePrideInHistory #ThankYouEllen
They say that if a writer falls in love with you, you’ll never die.
But no one talks about what happens when you break a writer’s heart.
How this gift of immortality becomes their curse.
How they keep you alive in their poetry even while it kills them.
How they recreate the crime scene on paper.
Words spread out like map coordinates
Looking for where things went wrong.
Writing down the word ‘forever’ and
Wondering how those three syllables sounded like an eternity when you said it.
Every poem they write is a sketch of your face; as if their pen only knows how to make posters of the people they miss; each full stop a reminder of your freckles; each semicolon an image of your sideways smile and the dimple under your cheek.
Every poem is just ‘I still love you’ written in code.
Every poem is a letter unsent; because if hearts were mailboxes you wouldn’t have one.
Every poem is an attempt to soothe the ache in their left chest; to let inked words bleed instead; to shrink the memories into sentences.
Every poem is the Heimlich maneuver;
so they write until the words locked in their throats fly out like freed birds and bruised lungs can finally taste oxygen again.
In light of the recent cyber bulling this fandom has encountered, myself @imonajourney and @merkitty have decided to put together the first annual YOI Shit Bang.
What is the Shit Bang, you ask?
Well. Do you like Otayuri? Do you like YuriYuu? YuriJJ? Yuri with anyone? Do you like Stripper!AUs, Mafia!AUs, Hooker!AUs? Do you like A/B/O or mpreg? Do you like a little angst noncon/dubcon with your tea? Genderswap? Do you picture Viktor terribly bad at chores? Do you think Yuuri is a great cook? Do you love the Welcome to the Madness performance? Do you think Yuuri suffers from mental illness? Do you love a little powerplay? Do you like YOI?
If you’ve answered YES to any of this questions, then this bang is for you!
Truthfully, this bang is for EVERYONE. That’s the point. This bang is for anyone and everyone that loves to create art - whether it’s writing or drawing - about this amazing anime.
This bang is about spreading POSITIVITY and LOVE. We will not tolerate hate of ANY kind even that towards the blogs that shall not be named.
This is going to take some work to put together, so if anyone is interested in helping us put together nice graphics for the blog or help moderate, please message one of us!
The blog will be https://yoi-shit-bang.tumblr.com/ Obviously it’s empty right now as we ramp things up, but keep on the look out for more news and more importantly - SPREAD THE WORD!
Hi, hello, hi! You know what time of the year it is? It’s the time when we celebrate a relationship of fictional characters, because we are cool like that. Anyway, you know what to do, right?
on 22nd of April post your River/Doctor edits,
when I say edits, I mean: gifsets, graphics, metas, fics, fanart, fanmixes, videos - whatever tickles your fancy,
tag your edits with #river doctor appreciation day. You can also use other tags, for example: #river song edit (or #riversongedit because people use both of these tags), #rd edit, #drfic, #eleven x river, #twelve x river etc. Make sure to use #river doctor appreciation day tag as one of the first 5 tags, otherwise I won’t be able to see your post and reblog it,
other than that: have fun, enjoy yourself, cry a little and don’t bash other ships/characters,
if you want to, reblog this post to spread the word,
This has been something Ive wanted to do for a long time. It’s a lot scarier and stressful than I thought it would be. I am still terrified and second guessing everything about this thing… But to hold this in my hands is worth it. Ive been writing since I was five years old and this is a dream come true. There will be more to come, thank you all for your support.
My book is out! 🍻Please spread the word if you don’t mind! Thank you guys again for putting up with all my blogging about it. I can’t thank you enough. And to the people who pushed me when I literally was about to call the entire thing off, you mean the world to me (you know who you are) 😘
*shitty banner warning* hello!! sadly, lately, I’ve been noticing a lot of negativity on this fandom, in general, and on my dash which is definitly not okay. may is mental health’s month and also my birthday month *wink wink* so I thought I could do something to try and stop (I wish I could) all the hate I’ve been seeing. after a lot of thinking I guess I came up with a lil something.
the idea is to post on the end of this month a post with nice messages from you to your favourite bloggers. it can be anonymous or not it all depends if you’re comfy with the ideia of attaching your username to a nice comment or not.
how to send these nice messages:
send me an ask here with the url of the person you’re complimenting, the message you want to send and your username or not but that is up to you.
@ ilovepizza - I think marie is one of the nicest people I ever met and I lover them - @ ilovepizza2
so sometimes I’m just sitting around being lazy, watching tv or getting distracted by internet things, or I’ve eaten too much or I’ve just had a super long day. and sometimes I’m even aware of how much of a blob I am being, I’m sure this happens to other people, too. anyways I wanted to share this little list to motivate me/others to stop being a blob:
1. very very first thing. shut off your internet. put all the tv and stuff out of reach. this is really important, but you will feel 100% better afterwards.
3. uncover your windows, let natural light filter in. if you can/want to open them, that’s also fantastic. it really helps lighten your mood, always makes me feel more connected with the rest of the world.
2. put on some music. it’s ok to use your phone/computer for this, but remember to just keep it away from arm’s reach. also, you can use whatever music you’d like, but I suggest something soft, like Frank Sinatra or Beegie Adair or Jack Johnson.
3. take a walk. look at the colors and plants people surround themselves with. pick out houses/buildings you like. look at the sky, listen to what’s going on around you. I don’t generally listen to music for this because I like to feel grounded when I walk, but if you’re more of a song person that’s okay, too. it’s really easy to forget how long it’s been since you’ve had some fresh air.
4. take a bath. if it’s hot out, turn on a fan and cool down the room so you’re all cosy in the water, put in some bubbles and scents. grab a book or magazine. exfoliate, do your nails, put on a face mask. throw yourself a little spa day. when you get out, put on lotion, put on new underwear and soft, comfy clothing.
5. make your favourite cup of tea or coffee, or maybe pour yourself some lemonade or just cold water is fine too.
6. go sit in a common area of your house, like a living room or dining table. if you’re not home alone and don’t want to be bothered, gently voice it to the people around you or go sit somewhere else where you feel comfortable and relaxed. just get out of the same walls, find a change of scenery. you could even leave and go to a café or a park if you’d like.
7. do some writing/doodling. whenever this happens, I always like to use a spare piece of printer paper or something not connected to a notebook so I’m less attached to it and less likely to care about the way it looks. let the pen do its own thing, don’t worry about messing up. if you feel that you’re getting frustrated, step away and do something else.
8. make some lists. this is one of my favourite pastimes. list nice things that you’ve seen recently that you think you’ll forget later on. list little details of your dreams, list things you want to do in your favourite season, list recipes you’d like to try. the possibilities are endless.
9. cook/bake something. important reminders—if you don’t find this relaxing, don’t do it!! find another hobby that you love where you can enjoy doing something productive. also, even if you’re making something fantastic, be sure not to snack too much or overeat (I’m very prone to this). you could also make something for a friend or a neighbour!! people always enjoy a heartfelt craft made by someone who cares.
10. catch up with an old friend or family member. ask them out for coffee or something, it’s always nice to talk. trust me, they will very much appreciate you reaching out.
11. write a letter to someone. you do not have to send it.
12. go to a park and look at the flowers or sit in the grass. grab a sketchbook, some sudoku, a book, a puzzle, your thoughts, or anything else you could tinker with while enjoying the fresh air. something to make your brain work a little.
there’s more, of course, but this is all I can really come up with at the moment—I hope it works! now get off that web and have a good time!!
Attention followers in or near Olympia, Washington, USA!
I know this isn’t quite what I normally post but this is Thorin Ukko and he has gone missing near French Road NW in Olympia. This is being posted on March 12, 2017
He belongs to my best friend in the whole world and they’re very worried about him. I’m across the country and can’t help search so I’m asking any of you who are nearby to help keep an eye out for Thorin.
He’s sweet and friendly but sometimes shy and was wearing a red collar with grey pirate-cats on it when he was last seen.
A reward is being offered. If you or anyone you know spots Thorin, please contact Ohkaleidoscope@gmail.com.
If I get any updates I’ll be sure to post them. This post and any updates will be tagged “lost pet” and “finding Thorin”
Thank you for your time and attention. Reblogs are appreciated. I’ll update the original post with updates in addition to reblogging.
Update 3/21 - Thorin is still missing! There was a sighting on 3/17 by the Texaco near Evergreen and one on 3/20 on French Loop.
If you or anyone you know is near Olympia, please spread the word! I’m feeling very helpless that I can’t go out and help look and this kitty means the world to my friend.
Thanks to everyone who’s reblogged, sorry for the delay between updates!
I don’t ever make posts like these. As a matter of fact, this is the first post I’ve ever made anywhere in regards to this topic. But it’s affecting my quality of life so much now that I fear I won’t be able to afford food or rent.
This month’s paycheck was really, really low. Even though my s/o in real life has pulled overtime at work, we still got exceptionally less than we normally do every month. We’re running out of both money and food, and we still have debts to pay. This all would have been fine and covered, if it weren’t for the fact I am struggling to resolve a transfer issue with paypal. They’re doing their best to help me, but I most likely won’t get the issue fixed until next month.
I’d like to be able to make enough here for at least the rent and some of our debt and food. We need about 600 USD (or 5300 SEK for us). If at all possible, donating any amount would help us out. email@example.com is my paypal.
I’m so sorry to ask this of any of you, as I really hate to ask for any sort of help when it comes to these things. But I’m honestly frightened, and my stress levels have been insane due to the constant worry. If anyone donates, they can make a special request and I’ll do my very best to fulfill that for you!
Even a simple reblog can help spread the word and dig us out of this hole we’re in.
Thank you for reading this. It means the world to me.
Diego doesn’t have a canon birthday. This is bad, because I really want to draw some dinosaur eating birthday cake action. We need to make May 15th, or National Dinosaur Day, a makeshift birthday for Diego. Spread the word. Don’t let this little dude miss out on presents and cake.