Spirits #1: Sensing and Recognising
In this post, I will give you:
Ways to recognise when a spirit is around.
Exercises to help you sense them.
Herbs for Psychic Powers/Tea recipes
Gems for Psychic awareness/powers
It’s easy to convince yourself that everything is a spirit. I’ve seen a lot of beginners and even more experienced people do so. There’s also the placebo effect. Your friend says they saw a spirit and now you start seeing that thing around you. It could be because you’re giving it energy, but it could very well be a type of placebo effect. So be careful. Not everything is a spirit…
… and not everything isn’t.
Now, here I will be giving out information I have gathered around, however, take it with a pinch of salt and add what you wish to it.
Finally, remember that grounding yourself is also very important. I’ll expand upon that in another post.
Recognise a Spirit:
There are ways to recognise a spirit through all five senses, and for some, even the sixth one.
There are spirits with higher frequencies, “good” spirits, if you will. And some with lower frequencies, “bad” spirits, as some will call them. I am of the mindset that there are no good or bad spirits, just like there are no good or bad people.
Please note: I am not talking about demons, here.
Spirits with higher or lower frequencies will feel or be sensed differently.
Again, here’s a strong disclaimer. Not everything is a spirit/ghost. Especially if you suffer with a mental illness, please be cautious.
- Shadows: Shadows are an easy way for spirits to manifest themselves. They’re not fully manifested, but you can see them. There’s a difference between shadows and shadow people, you’ll immediately feel the change in energy.
- Partial Manifestation: Although rarer, spirits can fully manifest parts of themselves, such as eyes, face, hands. They’re often a whitish hue or even full colour. These don’t last long due to the tremendous energy it takes.
- Full Manifestation: A full body manifestation is very rare and doesn’t last long, because for a spirit to fully manifest itself, it takes a lot of energy. Some people can help a spirit stay manifested longer, but I’ve seen it take an awful toll on those people’s health. I don’t suggest you try it.
- Peripheral Vision: Seeing people or shadows out of the corner of your eyes.This is the most common way to see a spirit.
- Air Distortions: Distortions in the air where there’s no reason to have any. Can be a sign of a spirit either trying to manifest itself or simply there.
- Orbs: Orbs are small balls of light that are usually captured when taking a picture with a flash. Though a lot of them is just the flash catching dust or pollen, there are also “ghost orbs”, or spirit energy. There are even orbs that you can zoom in on and see faces/shapes.Orbs have also been spotted just floating around.
- Light Distortion: Sometimes, when a spirit is of a lower frequency, the light in the room seems to be drained, lights can spontaneously go off, candle flames dwindle without a cause and so on. But when a spirit is of a higher frequency, lights seem to shine brighter and candle flames can burn high.
Hearing is the most delicate one since I have, in the past, suffered from insomnia induced psychosis for several months, and know what it is like to hear voices. Please don’t assume that the voices you hear are spirits. And even if they are, don’t let them tell you to do bad things. They have no power over you unless you give them power, whether they be real or not.
- Tinnitus: So this one is rather nebulous, but a few of my psychic friends/acquaintances claim that often, when they hear a sharp ringing in their ears, it’s a spirit attempting to communicate, but either they aren’t ready to hear what they have to say, or the spirit isn’t capable to getting their message across the veil.
- Zaps, Bangs and odd little sounds: Sometimes, a spirit can try and get your attention through odd little noises only you hear, and seemingly come from nowhere.
- Footsteps: Footsteps in a room when nobody’s home, or on the walls or ceiling. Your house is making more noise than usual without any causing.
- Tapping: Little knocks at your door or on your wall through which you can even communicate. Sometimes doors slam without wind.<
- Buzzing: Your ears may buzz loudly when spirits are around.
- Whispers: Hearing whispers when there is no reason to.
- Voices: Hearing voices around you when there is no one. This is a delicate subject matter. Don’t trust the voices without being 1000% sure. Don’t trust the voices if you are currently in a bad mental place (unless it’s trying to cheer you up and help you, in that case, even if it’s a hallucination, at least it’s pretty positive) and don’t trust the voices if they’re telling you to do something bad. Or something that could lead to something bad. However, it is a way for spirits to communicate.
- Odd Tastes: This is an odd one and I only know two people other than me that have that reaction to spirits, but it’s basically when certain spirits give you tastes in your mouth, such as blood, dirt, sugar, spices and more.
- Good Smells: A spirit can manifest itself with good smells. Smells that remind you of a deceased loved one or something comforting.
- Bad Smells: Just as similarly, some spirits come around with bad smells like rotting flesh or blood.
- Other: Sometimes, a smell that has no reason to be there just appears. Like the smell of roast beef in the middle of the night, wafting from your kitchen.
- A gush of Warm/cool air: You randomly feel a breeze when there shouldn’t be one.
- A stroke: You feel as though someone is touching you, stroking you, often in a loving way, or sometimes, in a more uncomfortable way. It gives you goosebumps or shivers.
- A Blow: A full on blow to your body. This is rare and more often happens in dream/while you sleep, while real life physical consequences.
- Marks: Odd marks on your body. For example, I had a hand shaped mark on my inner thigh, in a way my hands couldn’t have done it, it was outlined with a white line, but was not a scratch. Don’t assume every bump/scratch is a spirit.
- Hands: You feel someone touching you. Not really like a stroke, just a hand on your shoulder, or around your throat, or on your cheek. Sometimes a hand holding yourself.
- Change in Air pressure: The air around you feels lighter, or heavier, depending on the vibrations.
- Pressure on Chest: a very common one I’ve heard is the feeling someone or something sitting on your chest, most of the time, in a very oppressive way.
- Electric Shocks: Some people, like myself, feel electric shocks down our spines when close to spirits.
- Skin: Your skin crawls, or goosebumps suddenly erupt for no reason, you feel dirty.
Extra sensory perception, possibly the most common way to feel a spirit.
- Anxiety: Unexplained anxiety, stress, fear, panic attacks, depression and such.
- Joy: Euphoria, happiness, confidence, comfort, compassion, good emotions that come out of nowhere.
- Empathy: Suddenly feeling emotions that aren’t yours when you, yourself aren’t an empath.
- Paranoia: Sudden feelings of being watched, being in danger/vulnerable, feeling you’re not alone.
- Intuition: Sudden increase in intuition, like someone is telling you something.
- Dread: Your stomach drops,a feeling of dread, tight throat, unexplained sadness.
- Dizziness: Dizziness, nausea, motion sickness, you just feel queasy and wrong.
Become more Sensitive:
I don’t know if someone who isn’t naturally sensitive to spirits can become it, though they probably can, I wouldn’t know the methods. So here, I’m going to list ways of increasing already existing sensitivity.
- Always Start by Grounding: Grounding is incredibly important. Everyone has their method. Mine is to walk barefoot in the earth or to just stand up and feel my feet. You can meditate, use crystals and so on. I’ll list more grounding methods later.
- Meditate: Meditation is an effective way of becoming more receptive to subtle things around you. Everyone has their techniques, but I like doing Anapana before expanding into consciousness projection.
- Just get yourself into a spiritual state: May it be through music, walking in the woods, cooking, anything that gets you spiritual, it’ll increase your sensitivity.
- Herbal Infusion: Make a herbal tea that favours psychic powers. I’ll give recipes later.
- Open your Third Eye: Everyone has their method, but the third eye is a very effective way of doing so.
- Work with Crystals: I’ll give a list of crystals later.
- Get Spirit’s Attention: Again, many methods that I will list later, but you can find your own.
- Channel: Play a good game of Ouija, or do some automatic writing, maybe use your pendulum or any methods of channeling you use. It can get you going.
There are many other methods. Find your own!
- Walk: Take a long walk in nature, barefooted preferably, and just feel the earth beneath your feet.
- Trees: Hug trees, meditate under trees, just be around trees, imagine yourself rooting yourself in the earth. Can work with house plants, just dig your hands into the earth and feeling your energy going deep.
- Dance: Dance around, stomp your feet, rock the world, just get in touch with your physical body.
- Meditate: Meditate. Just concentrate in your breath, your body. Then, you can try and expand your consciousness, but instead of reach up, go down, into the earth.
- Massage: Massage yourself or get someone to massage you. Nothing airy. A nice, deep massage. Rub your limbs and pat yourself down. You’re here, in your body.
- Exercise: Do physical exercise. Yoga in particular (I don’t recommend Kundalini or westernised Yoga Pilates/etc, but actual Indian yoga. Something grounding like standing poses, especially Tadasana/Mountain Pose.) and Qi Gong
- Animals: Spend time stroking your dog, cat, horse, earth animal (not birds, or aquatic animals)
- Earth Spirit: Ask earth spirits, such as trolls, gnomes and others to help you be grounded.
Herbs for Psychic Awareness:
NOT ALL OF THESE ARE SAFE TO INGEST!!!!!
Taken from Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. Feel free to do your own research.
- Astral Protection: Mugwort, Poplar, Dittany of Crete
- Mental Powers (Strengthen): Caraway, Celery, Eyebright, Grape, Horehound, Lily of the Valley, Mace, Mustard, Periwinkle, Rosemary, Rue, Spearmint
- Psychic Powers: Acacia, Althea, Bay, Bistort, Bladderwrack, Borage, Buchu, Celery, Cinnamon, Eyebright, Flax, Grass, Honeysuckle, Lemongrass, Mace, Marigold, Mastic, Mugwort, Peppermint, Rose, Rowan, Saffron, Star Anise, Thyme, Uva Ursa, Yarrow, Wormwood, Yerba Santa
- Spirituality: African Violet, Aloes Wood, Gum Arabic, Cinnamon, Frankincense, Myrrh, Sandalwood
- Meditation: 6 tsp English breakfast tea, 2 tsp Chamomile, 1 tsp Rose hips, 1 tsp Elder flower
- Psychic 1: 6 tsp Rose petal, 4 tsp Thyme, 4 tsp Yarrow, 2 tsp Cinnamon, 2 tsp Clove
- Psychic 2: 1 tsp mugwort, 1 tsp Lemon Balm, 1 tsp peppermint, 1 tsp yarrow, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground clove,
There are other recipes, or make your own!
I am not listing them all since there are a lot. Feel free to do your own research.
Increase Psychic Awareness:
- Azurite: It vibrates at the level of the third eye chakra, for clairvoyance, crown chakra, for heightened spiritual connections and throat chakra for psychic communication.
- Angelite: Used to communicate with Angels and higher frequency. It helps open you up to new information and spiritual senses.
- Amethyst: Opens higher chakras, helps strengthen psychic abilities, protects and good for meditation and dreams.
- Bloodstone: This one is really known to strengthening psychic abilities of all kinds, especially clairvoyance. It also protects from lower frequencies.
- Carnelian: This one helps heighten/develop intuition, clairvoyant and clairaudient gifts. Used to transfer living to the spirit realm and vice versa.
- Fluorite: Offers psychic protection, from negative energies and psychic vampires. Helps strengthen intuition, psychic abilities, connection to spirits and spirit guides.
- Herkimer Diamond: Especially known for having magical properties, the Herkimer Diamond helps with telepathy, connections to spirit guides, past life and enhancing psychic abilities.
- Kyanite: Great stone to use in meditation, to aid lucid dreaming, astral projection, connecting to spirit guides and Intuition. (Do use with caution since it’s really strong)
- Sapphire: Helps open communication lines with the spirit world, helps give clarity, open the third eye and enhance psychic visions. Also aids with out of body, telepathy, precognition and intuition.
- Turquoise: Enhances clairvoyant and clairaudient abilities, strengthen psychic powers and balance chakras.
- Quartz: Quartz is the most powerful stone for psychic abilities, and the most accessible. It enhances psychic vision, understanding messages from the spirit world, opening communication with it and balancing chakras.
- Labradorite: Good for protection against negative energies and very powerful psychic protection.
- Tiger’s Eye: Also amazing to keep you safe from negativity, it helps mostly with more human bad energies. Still very good.
- Black Tourmaline: Black tourmaline helps ground you and keeps you incredibly safe from negativity. Like a pillar. My personal choice.
- Emerald: Emerald is incredibly powerful psychic tool and keeps you safe from negative energies.
- Most of the crystals mentioned above are really good for protection too.
- Most black stones are good for grounding/protection/Absorption of negative energies, such as: Apache tears, Black tourmaline, obsidians and more.
Finally, a disclaimer. I don’t know everything. I may have made some mistakes. Please take care of yourself when working with the subtle and please don’t force yourself into doing something that frightens you or that you don’t feel ready to do. If you are mentally unstable, first look into healing yourself before going into spirit communication, since spirits can trick you, just like humans.
Please take care, but don’t be afraid either since fear is food for spirits with lower vibrations.