- Light Screen creates a reflective light barrier that blocks and repels against special attacks but isn’t as effective at blocking physical ones. The user will still feel the effects of physical damage through reverberations. Powerful special attacks will still cause reverberations to the barrier and some might even bypass it if the user is not strong enough to sustain it. Repeated physical damage to the Light Screen barrier will cause it to wear out faster comparatively.
- Likewise Reflect blocks and repels physical moves but doesn’t do too well with special attacks and will grow weaker if continuously subjected to special moves.
- They often manifest in the form of light shields that appear in front of the user, most often controlled using hands/arms.
- Both barriers are extremely susceptible and fragile to Brick Break and Psychic Fangs.
- Moves such as Barrier and Protect on the other hand, create shields that offer more coverage, tending to form a spherical force field or a physical barrier made from the element the user specialises in.
- Barrier works similarly to Reflect, albeit with reinforced defensive capabilities and is significantly harder to break through and damage.
- Miscellaneous protective moves that don’t boost defense directly such as Lucky Chant, Mist and Safeguard act as spells that “bless” and protect their users with longer-lasting effects during the battle.
- Lucky Chant is an incantation; Mist is quite literal and contrary to popular belief, Safeguard does not function similarly to Protect. Instead, it simply creates a veil/aura around the user that shields it from status ailments.