Rule 1: Always post the rules Rule 2: Answer the questions the person who tagged you asked and write 11 new ones. Rule 3: Tag 11 people and link them to the post. Rule 4: Actually tell them you tagged them
1. What is your favorite Shakespearean adaptation? Despite the fact that I kind of hate the play, I adore Franco Zeffirelli’s Romeo & Juliet (the one from 1968 that everyone had to watch in their English class). I grew up with it, and I think he captured both the thrill of young love and the idiocy of the decisions made very well. I also really enjoyed Joss Whedon’s new Much Ado About Nothing.
2. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go? Right now? The Greek Islands have been calling to me of late. One of these days, I will scrimp and save and travel there.
3. What are your top five favorite songs that no one has ever heard of? I’m sure that some people have heard of them, but I suppose they’re lesser known.
4. Who gives you inspiration to be a better version of yourself? My mom because she’s a badass and supports my dreams unquestioningly. My baby sister, Sophie, because she died when I was 5 and I feel like I’m living for both of us. My little sister, Grace, who is unbelievably talented and smart and teaches me so much. My Fight Family, because they’re unbelievably supportive and ridiculously talented so I push myself to keep up with them. My dad, because he always tells me to go after what I want. Veronica Varlow, because her blog posts speak to me on a deep level and she’s always pushing her readers to look at themselves and be the best selves they can be.
5. What book changed the way you look at the world? I mean, there’s not really just one. Books have been shaping my worldview my entire life. Nearly every book I’ve read has changed me in some way. Ones that really changed my perspective in a memorable way, though? The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl’s Guide to Love, Life, and Foolish Bravery by Veronica Chambers and Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx & Rowland Barber. I’m sure there were more, but those two spring to mind readily. Specifically, they changed the way I looked at myself and approached my life.
6. What is your favorite piece of clothing? Again, I don’t have just one. I love boots in general, especially if they lace up to the knee. My black leather corset. Long skirts. Cropped blouses. Anything that makes me feel like both a witch and warrior. If I look like I can cast a spell and kick your ass, I’m a happy camper.
7. Where is the weirdest place you’ve fallen asleep? I don’t know? I don’t really just fall asleep in places where I’m not comfortable. I guess I’ve fallen asleep in class before, but that’s not that weird. I’m really good at sleeping on trains (like amtrak trains) if that counts?
8. What is your favorite season and why? Summerrrrr. Because I love the sun and I hate being cold and the fountain is open in Washington Square Park and the days are long and I can wear cute shorts (when I’m not at the office, boo) and skirts without tights underneath and go to the beach… yup, summer is by far the best. Plus this year, I’m working at Faire! And in previous years I’ve gone to Faire in both Bristol and Sterling during the summer.
9. Did you have a teacher that changed your life? How so? Erica Eide. She taught me from 1-3rd grade, and her class was AMAZING. Everything was very artistic and hands on and immersive. If we were doing a unit, EVERYTHING was about that unit. We wrote stories about what we were learning and illustrated them. We did plays in our classroom and filmed them. She read us chapter books that related to it. Plus, she had a fantastic sense of humor and was quirky and unique and just the nicest person ever. She still is, but she has less leeway to be awesome now that Common Core is in place (boo!). Hers was the last class where I felt truly engaged, and she’s still a good family friend. I got coffee with her a little while before I moved here, and she’s as lovely as ever.
10. If you could gain the powers of any fictional character, who would you choose? Well, obviously someone from a Tamora Pierce book. For my own pleasure? Daine, because talking to animals, duh! For usefulness? Aly, probably. Her Sight was insanely handy. Being able to adjust your vision to see far away/in the dark/tell if people are lying/etc.? Or Tris, because I want to have a cloud of breezes keep me cool wherever I go/be able to smite people who piss me off with lightning. I wouldn’t last too long with Tris’ power before I got thrown in jail, though.
11. (Keeping this one because I enjoy it) Bed wed behead fictional characters: Bed: Briar Moss and Taybur Sibigat. YES BOTH, BECAUSE I SAY SO. Wed: Same as the last question. Behead: BENNAT LADRADUN, THE FUCKING CREEPER. My whole life is Tamora Pierce, what can I say?
Okayokayokay, so I have to come up with questions now? Ummmm…
1. If you could have any animal as a pet, and I mean ANY animal, what would it be and why?
2. Do you collect anything?
3. What is your dream job? Literally, if you could make a living doing anything in the world, what would it be?
4. Is there a fictional character that you strongly identify with for some reason? Why? If not, is there one you aspire to be more like?
5. If you could have lunch with any 5 people in history, who would you choose and why?
6. What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment to date?
7. Whom do you feel has had the greatest influence on your life?
8. Name 8 things that you love about yourself.
9. What is the coolest place you’ve ever visited?
10. How do you deal with being sick? Push through/sleep it off/rely on others/go it alone/binge watch crappy tv/etc.? Do you have favorite remedies?
11. Come up with a slogan to describe yourself. (Ex. Mine is "witchbaby & lionheart”). Get creative!