do u have any tips for somebody who struggles to write dialogue??
I gotta be honest, dialogue is probably the part of writing that comes most naturally to me and has evolved over years of practice…so I don’t know how helpful this will be, but here are 5 things that I think are important and might help to make your dialogue sound better:
1. READ YOUR OWN WRITING ALOUD. This is by far the most helpful and simple tip I have for you. Reading your dialogue aloud can make it ten times easier to spot parts that sound weird or clunky.
2. Don’t cut off rambling dialogue. What I mean by this is that while sometimes during the editing process you SHOULD shorten dialogue, sometimes characters - especially characters who are panicking, upset, overjoyed, or feeling any strong emotion - just need to monologue. Just let it happen if it feels like it’s not out of place in the story. Don’t be afraid to have paragraphs of dialogue if the story calls for it. Dialogue chunks like this can actually help to heighten emotion in the reader, especially if they’re made up of lots of run-on sentences, commas, semicolons, hyphens, and a general panicky/broken up punctuation layout.
3. Dialogue doesn’t always follow conventional writing (grammar/punctuation) rules. People use run-on sentences all the time when they’re speaking. Rather than always adhering to conventional grammar/punctuation rules, feel free to twist the rules in order to really make your dialogue stand out and not feel too formal.
4. Consider the speaker’s actual meaning while writing their dialogue. i.e. A character who is on a date with another character and plans to propose to them later is going to have a different manner of speaking than a character who plans to murder their date later. Sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised at how much depth it adds to dialogue (and characterization). As a side note, characters who are lying speak differently than characters who are telling the truth. An actual scientific study found that people who are lying tend to speak without contractions, while people who are telling the truth use contractions. (i.e. “I did not do it” vs “I didn’t do it.”)
5. Consider the background of the character while writing their dialogue and DO YOUR RESEARCH. By ‘background’ I mean stuff like personality, backstory, setting (either where they live or where they grew up), race, gender, sex, sexuality, occupation, and time period. For me personally, I tend to default to an upper-class Austen/Victorian-esque style of dialogue because I enjoy historical genre books and writing historical genre stories. But when I’m writing modern fics/stories, I make an effort to change my dialogue style to reflect that. I do this by listening to people around me, reading modern books, and letting modern slang and humor make its way into dialogue. Going off of this, in The Hurricane in His Veins, Shiro & Keith speak differently than Pidge, Hunk, and Lance. They were both born in earlier time periods where people spoke and acted in a more formal, reserved fashion, so that’s reflected in their dialogue and helps to define their characters.
I hope this helped! Remember that the #1 best way to improve your writing is to practice every day and to READ. Good readers are good writers.
🐥 kim taehyung come out
🐥 kim taehyung come out quickly
🐥 i want to call you here so bad so come out quickly
🐥 there’s no such thing as rest time for you
🐥 guys please call taehyung
🐥 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ wow he’s not coming
🐥 ㅋㅋㅋ i’m just calling him ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐥 tae tae tae tae tae tae tae aet tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae tae
🐥 twe twe
🐥 if kim taehyung doesn’t come by 20 i’m going
🐥 yeah it’s me
🐥 taehyung-ah you’re responsible for all of this situation
🐥 i called you
🐥 you should come when i call you
oh you come at 20 exactly
🐯 what do you want
i’m busy right now
🐥 i’m just calling
🐥 why are you busy
🐯 why did you call me
are you playing games again
give me 10 reasons
🐯 what games
🐯 i’m stretching my leg muscles
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ i was just at your room
🐯 oh sorry
🐯 i started
🐯 after you went
🐯 hooha hooha
🐯 said he’s gonna
🐯 send you his aegyo video~~
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ can’t say anything but laugh ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
my friend’s a liar
yo i know you’re reading ㅋㅋㅋ don’t pretend you went ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐯 i got caught?
you thought i wouldn’t know, how can i not know you ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐯 keep your promise
🐯 aegyo video
🐯 film it
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ oh the aegyo video that you said you wanted to film together
keep your promise ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐯 i never said that
🐯 i have tons of aegyo videos from our manggaetteok jimin-ssi in my phone, shall i post them all?
not that taehyung, you said you want to film aegyo video for armys so bad 🙂
wanna film one?
do you hate it taehyung? 🐯 not aegyo
🐯 i want to show armys my cool side
taehyung are you gonna be like that?
🐯 game or
okay if you hate it that much i’ll film it alone
🐯 game or
🐯 stuffs like games
i didn’t know you hate it that much
🐯 he’s gonna film it!!! oho succeeded
what ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ ㅋ
🐯 let’s play
i’m gonna do it~ i will, taehyung you do it too
🐯 if you post it
🐯 i’m gonna post
‘kay rest ㅋㅋ going to post it ㅋㅋ
🐯 aegyo videos of our precious members in my phone
confirm plz i sent it to you
🐯 can i post this?
🐯 aw so cute our jiminie
you ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ make me speechless ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
yo brat you can’t do it ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐯 you should say it here
yo ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ i really have nothing to say ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
you can’t do it ㅋㅋㅋ taehyung ㅋㅋㅋ not that ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
🐯 jimin-ssi you should keep in mind that i have you in the lines of my palm
🐯 i should post one of jimin’s cool like ryan mcginley photos
🐯 guys i posted
what’s with “the lines of my palm” ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ not even “my palm” ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Hello, if you have the time, could you explain how hair lines work?? specifically on men because I am struggling :-(
Well, I can give you some tips based on how I do it. Your mileage may vary.
I mainly figure out where my dudes’ hairlines are supposed to be based on the physical landmarks of the head. Here’s a generic head I drew up that highlights those parts. It’s not realistically accurate since these are TF2-ish proportions, but it does involve knowledge of actual anatomy, which isn’t as scary as it sounds.
1-3 are self-explanatory. 4 is that slight bony ridge around that little depressed area behind your forehead on the sides. 5 is the bump of the base of your skull where it meets your neck muscle.
Also, notice where things line up, since these are clues to help you lock things in place and keep facial features from floating around too much. For example, the top of the ear generally lines up with the eyeline and the bottom with the mouth. There are lots of little tricks like that.
And here’s a generic hairline based on these landmarks.
Of course, reference is also going to help you out a bunch here. The above approximation is just meant to give a basic idea of where a hairline would be. Like fingerprints, everyone’s hairline is unique. Depending on your character, you should feel free to mix it up!
These are just a few slight variations, to give you an idea of what I mean: rounded, pointy, and receding. Once I have my hairline roughed in, I pick where the hair part is (if there is one) and sketch in the hair, following the natural growth pattern of hair.
You can get nearly infinite variations! Get wacky with it! And there’s no one 100% correct way to draw a hairline (or anything else, for that matter) so don’t get too hung up on not doing it wrong. Practice until you’re comfortable, and you’ll be winging it in no time.
Febuary 19, 2017: Today 1 year ago a tour began that changed my life. My first concert, also of my favorite band. topped the Billboard tour charts, skinny dipping into rivers, to meeting doge. thank you for the memories we miss you xx @5sos
The 1975′s latest release, “The Sound”, off their new record I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It, due out February 26th, follows the previous two singles’ paths of heavy 80′s influence, plenty of pop, and a plethora of synth. It is more reminiscent of their debut eponymous record than the other releases, mainly in lyrics and style–and I love it. It is completely The 1975 in the way that it is utterly unexpected while still staying true to their unique sound.
I really want dan to tell us stories of is rebellious teen years like his experimentation with drugs and party life and stuff... too bad he won't because of how some fans will react to it, like emulate it or go crazyfan about it instead of just listening to it and having a laff
i wrote this and sent it to myself i love time travel :) ok but like.. i want him to tell us abt his Cool Boy life so much… bad party stories……. first times he got high n drunk……… best things he acted in and tiny behind the scenes snippets and stories of the funny things his drama class did ……….. stories abt his friends that arent necessarily abt Them but the Things He Did With Them ie “emos go to the mall”…. hes not even that cool but like i just wanna Know all the dumb teenagery things he did i want to make fun of him so bad