Allow me to present to you this headcanon: Shiro as a Japanese Brazilian!
- Brazil has the most number of Japanese immigrants in the world. This is a result from a large number of Japanese people fleeing from Japan to Brazil at the beginning of the 20th century. Bairro da Liberdade (Freedom) is a district in São Paulo (Brazilian State) that is home to the largest Japanese community outside of Japan. I’ve been there and it’s both huge and amazing! Most people living in there speak both Portuguese and Japanese and there are also some Japanese newsspapers that run in this area. It’s a very welcoming place for anime and manga fans and it’s not hard to find cosplayers meeting in the area. Karaoke contests are famous in the area. There are also a smaller number of Chinese and Korean folks living in Liberdade.
- Shiro as a capoeira martial artist! Seriously, just look at it yourself!
- Introducing the Voltron team to chimarrão. Coran absolutely falls in love with it, Hunk loves the smell and taste, Pidge and Keith are very reluctant to even try it out and Lance dives right in in one go. Allura is suspicious and finds out it’s not really to her taste but still appreciates the thought.
- Whenever the panic attacks get bad and he needs to calm down, Shiro likes to isolate himself from the others and listen to bossa nova and Maria Gadú. It really helps him out.
- Shiro’s father is Japanese, his mother is Brazilian.
- He’s fluent in Japanese, Portuguese and English, which helps him get that scholarship at the garrison. He learns some Russian as well, though he’s not as good at it, but it’s important for the space program.
- Shiro and Lance thinking they can understand each other because Portuguese and Spanish are similar and then realizing how bad an idea that was.
- Shiro came to fall in love with space while visiting the SONEAR (Southern Observatory for Near Earth Asteroids Research) observatory with his parents as a kid, located in the state of Minas Gerais. It was an experience unlike any other and that’s when he decided he wanted to be an astronaut for real.