when you draw faces do you use shapes? for instance for eyes, noses? how would you draw them?
omg okay lol i took way too long to answer this, sorry anon. sO the simple answer is, kind of? but I don’t like, actually draw the shapes first. I just draw with them in mind.
because I cant do anything simply, I wanted to show how i actually go about sketching faces bc idk about you but I like visuals? This style is way more specific to how I draw traditionally, but the concept is pretty much how I approach faces in general. bare in mind, I’m not making like a complete breakdown of step by step How to Draw The Features of the Face, bc there are plenty of great resources already out there. This is just how I draw faces myself.
- I always start with the typical circle and symmetry lines, keeping the circle just about the size of like, the forward part of the skull. Keep it loose and light.
- Depending how you curve the symmetry lines, it can really help you maintain perspective.
- I also usually put like, circles where the actual eyeballs would be for placeholders and to later help with knowing how large the eyes need to be and how to shape the lids.
- And I just sort of start adding in features one at a time, practically always starting with the nose cause it’s the center of the face.
- Eyebrows help define where the brow bone goes (can change later depending on the expression you want)
aaaaaand yeah idk what else to say? I guess the long answer to your question is, I think being able to break complex features down into simple shapes in your head is really useful, makes drawing things wayyy easier, and is really the main way I go about drawing almost anything.
When I’m drawing traditionally I’ll usually lightly sketch in some guides, but I mostly just sort of go right into it, just keeping those shapes and actual anatomy in mind.
oh and one last thing, I highly recommend watching this video by Sinix Design on how to draw like a painter. It is so helpful and was super influential in changing how I sketched ever since I watched it years ago. (honestly watch all of his videos, I’ve learned so much from him, he’s fantastic)
sorry for rambling, I just really wanted to show you how I do it instead of just saying bc I feel like it’s way more helpful? at least I hope it is haha