so a few days ago, I read this post except i did not read it very well bc this does not follow that plot at all. BUT it does have hoh holster!
(disclaimer i did do some research but i am not hoh so if any of these headcanons are offensive in any way, please let me know. OR just tell me to delete them and I shall no questions asked. tis not your job to educate me!)
- holster, fucking loving when shows come on Netflix because
Netflix generally has closed captions and shitty rigged it so their TV has
closed captions but sometimes those are really shitty and he misses jokes
- holster watches most
shows twice; once so he can focus on the words, once so he can focus on the
facial features of everyone
- for some reason, holster
is still always in charge of playlists. he just knows good music. and if he
blares it too loudly, well, you cant say anything because he is just trying to
hear. and if you notice he is has taken his hearing aids out and is smirking,
well, oh well.
- holster is very used to
ducking to talk to people (even when wearing his hearing aids) so he can get as close to them as possible. he
jokingly says this is why he is best friends with ransom. because ransom is
tall enough that he can actually hear him. sometimes it is easier for him to
talk to lardo but just picking her up and walking around with her on his hip.
to date, he is the only person alive with express permission to pick lardo up
whenever he wants.
- losing his glasses is actually not funny for holster. it is a source of severe stress because he can’t really hear so he needs to be able to see and his eyes are so fucking bad and he tends to panic if it takes him more than a few moments even if it is his own fault because he’s always so careless with them but ransom always, always knows where they are
- look, holster generally wears hearing aids and can sort of read people’s lips (but that is never 100% accurate at all) so really, he loves ASL. it’s easier for him and he kinda loves that he can gossip about people behind their back but in front of their face.
- holster hates signed english. he gets that sometimes the boys have to use it at first to communicate and he appreciate that they are sort of trying but he hates it. it is not correct and no, he does not want to see your direct translations of christmas songs.
- the boys all learning ASL. Ransom studies like he has never studied before for anything in his life. He won’t tell Holster what he’s working on because he wants it to be a surprise but he works himself into four “i am sitting on the floor rocking” stages. (Also, he got a B minus on his first ever bio test because he was too busy learning but Holster never found out about that)
- shitty is fucking terrible at signing. not because he don’t know it, but because he talks too loud and fast and uses his hands to talk so he forgets. luckily ransom usually signs along so holster can follow.
- lardo took to signing like a fish to water.
she is faster than even ransom and can keep her signs small and contained and
she and holster loooove signing behind people’s backs together
- Jack takes the longest to
learn and holster at first thinks that jack isn’t bothering to learn because
holster is some kind of liability on the ice but then jack starts signing to
him absolutely perfectly and then reveals that he’s also made a pretty
elaborate system of signs that one can see while wearing hockey gloves.
- bitty is not very good at
signing and at first was incredibly stressed because not only is his often
wearing baking mitts and holster told him his accent did crazy things to his
mouth so he was hard to lip read as well but luckily, holster got used to it
and it turns out jacks ‘hockey glove friendly’ signs could also be used
with baking mitts so its okay. bitty still gets very stressed about it though.
he tried to learn ASL approximately 100% more seriously then he bothers with
french. (still most of his attempts end up with flour everywhere because bitty
does this thing where he waves his hands in the air as he struggles to remember
the sign and then when he gets them, he does this in these huge exaggerated
motions and ends up spilling things.)