since everyone is moving into dorm, i thought i could share from my 3+ years of experience of sharing my living space with someone else:
- okay you pups always keep some extra batteries and lightbulbs; you don’t want it to be 11pm and have no stores open anymore
- put things on your walls, it’ll automatically make you feel more at home
- change the locks on your drawers
- always, always check with your roomate(s) if it’s okay to bring people over; even if it happens spontainously, sending a text when you’re on your way means the world
- don’t ever, ever let cooked food out for longer than an hour; it just gets super gross and no one wants to deal with that
- make sure to discuss with your roommate(s) the details regarding the quality of both of your lives: plan a cleaning/washing dishes schedule and stick to it
- headphones will save your ass ~
- ask your roommate(s) out from time to time; they’re probably as lost, homesick and new to this as you and it doesn’t hurt to just be… nice
- have at least 4 cups and extra pillows (throw pillows are OK)!! you never know when you’ll spend lazy afternoons with your friends and you will want to make their stay as comfortable as possible
- don’t keep your lamp open after 10-11pm. it’s common sense
- extension cords are the bomb!! have one with you
- don’t go anywhere without slippers; dorms are dirtier than you might think
- sharing food is everything, we’re all hungry and broke students
- don’t bottle things in, you’ll only turn bitter. if something bothers you, talk it out with the person.
- dry shampoo is a must; it’ll save so much time when you’re in a hurry and don’t want your hair to look gross
- keep in touch with the people you left behind; skype sessions with people you didn’t even realize you’ve missed are healing the soul
- air freshener might seem like an unneded addition, but it’ll help so much in making the room feel more put together; especially if all you’ve done in the past days was study. related to that: open your windows
- have an extra alarm clock! no matter how reliable your phone may be, at some point it will fail you
- coupons? COUPONS!
- folding is tricky and the only way to make it better is to practice. or, if you want to save space, you can just roll your clothes
- it won’t be only about what you want anymore, but more about what you need; weigh carefully if you need another phonecase!!
- if dorm is too loud, most buildings come with a study space that you can use almost anytime. really, go there
- your college cafeteria might as well be your cheapest resource when it comes to a proper, warm meal, try to eat some soup at least once/month
- bedding costs A LOT. okay, there’s nothing shameful in using some old ones, even if it features the most colorful cartoons
- don’t borrow anything without asking. ever.
- everyone seems nice at the beggining; make sure you don’t plan your whole life around the roommate who might turn out to be an asshole
any more tips added are appreciated! send me in any question that you mgiht have or tell me about your dorm experience!!