okay so i’ve been watching the get down constantly since it came out, but recently i rewatched p1, esp. in prep for the tgd watch on twitter (check it out here to help us out!!) and i have some thoughts on episode six and dizzee’s experience at the club.
- first of all, i keep forgetting that two minutes before dizzee arrives, there’s the scene where thor’s like “you should come down to soho”
- and it’s so wild to watch that exact scene because as much as we joke about it being love at first sight for the two of them, dizzee genuinely had a crush on this dude ( and i think he knew it too) but hadn’t … like, experienced his awakening yet?
- so how amazing would it have been for him to 1. have met his idol (you’re thor? wow!), 2. have his idol save him from the police, 3. be praised and admired for his artmaking and ideas, which definitely wasn’t common in his life prior to this ( i like rumi, he’s weird though / your brother’s a fucking weirdo ), and 4. that thor likes him enough to exchange books and hang out with him? then thor invites him to a party? like at this point dizzee’s crushing on what used to a very highly esteemed colleague, and is now close to being his best friend?? stop??
- he meets up with thor and “beautiful girl” ( i will never forgive them for not giving her a name!! ) but he sees!! thor!! make out with her right in front of him and you can see he’s like
- but then dizzee goes into the club! and immediately you can see him go “!!!” this isn’t insignificant for him! this is a HUGE DEAL for dizzee
- thor’s like “yeah this is where the free people run free!!” and dizzee can likely see!!! wlw !! couples!! and mlm!! couples!! kissing near him!!
- he can see drag queens and people like him wearing dresses and makeup and it’s like he’s walked into a dream because he’s had thoughts about what if i could kiss boys?? what if i could wear nail polish?? what if i could wear dresses??? and so straight off the bat he’s being validated 100% by these happy dancing people and the cool disco atmosphere i mean he must be feeling high as a kite
- AND THEN and then he gives thor!!!!!!!!!! the fuckingggggggg RECORD
- he’s like “here it reminded me of you!” and thor gives him this HUGE SMILE thats so grateful and like ADORING like can you imagine how dizzee is FEELING right now
- then THEN the beautiful girl goes “you should get carlo to play it!” and dizzee’s like “okay cool who’s that?” and yeah its the dj and then she’s like “ya thor REEALLY KNOWS HIM ya know ;))))” . dizzee’s fucking
😱😱😱 does that mean what i think it means?? like this boy???? might like boys too ????? the fuck //????? liking girls and boys at the same time?????
- so he hangs out with the girl while thor goes off and he talks about the performers and he takes in a WHOLE NEW GENRE of art and dance and being!!
- the girl initiates the kiss but he goes in for it anyway and gets tapped on the shoulder
- and thor’s there, and dizzee goes “oh fuck i just kissed his girlfriend now the guy i’m crushing on is gonna be pissed at me” right?
- dizzee goes “sorry” and thor goes “my turn”
- MY TURN
- SO NOW IN THE SPACE OF LESS THAN TWENTY MINUTES DIZZEE HAS REALISED THAT
IT’S OKAY TO LIKE BOYS AND IT’S OKAY TO LIKE BOYS AT THE SAME TIME AS GIRLS
THAT HE HAS A BIG CRUSH ON THIS BOY
THAT THE BOY LIKES HIM BACK AND MAYBE WANTS TO KISS HIM????
- and he’s unsure right? like christina aguilara’s song comes on and thor’s just dancing and dizzee’s like
…. is this real? did you just ask to kiss me a second ago?
- and the song keeps going and thor keeps dancing and bopping his shoulder good naturedly so dizzee’s like “no nah nah i’m not gonna do this what if i misread the signals”
- he didn’t
- the beautiful girl leans over and goes “IT’S OKAY, GO ON, KISS HIM!”
- IT’S OKAY!
- GO ON!
- KISS HIM!
HE’S SHY AND HESITANT BUT THOR JUST SMILES AT HIM AND KEEPS DANCING LIKE
- and dizzee at this point is just like “ ???????????????????????????? IM ALLOWED TO DO THAT IM ALLOWED TO DO THAT IM ALLOWED TO DO THAT”
- the beautiful girl takes this into her own hands and gives him a reassuring kiss, you know, one that’s familiar and comfortable and he closes his eyes and kisses back
- she pulls back and says TO. THOR. “HE’S A GOOD KISSER, I LIKE THAT A LOT.”
- A LOT
- AND THE MUSIC GETS CLIMACTIC AND THERE ARE ALL THESE QUEER RELATIONSHIPS GOING ON RIGHT BESIDE THEM PEOPLE ARE KISSING AND EMBRACING AND DANCING AND THAT WHOLE MONTAGE JUST REINFORCES THE FACT THAT THIS IS NORMAL!! THESE TWO BOYS!! JUST FEELING A LITTLE BIT IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER!! ITS NOT OUT OF PLACE IT’S OKAY!!
- they’re both so shy and it’s so pure!! like clearly this whole time thor has had a crush on dizzee as well and they don’t want to mess up and the beautiful girl in the corner is just like “this is the sweetest thing ever”
- thor gives him
- to reassure him because this is a hugely overwhelming experience for dizzee lbr!!
- and you can tell that dizzee is entranced by this whole situation because never in his LIFE did he expect a boy he liked to like him back!! he never anticipated that he would get to live THIS FREE !!
and they get closer and closer together and in a second we see a dozen people lock lips simultaneously, then the two of them slowly part, we’re left to imagine the magic and the wonder of dizzee’s first kiss with a boy (which i ❤❤❤❤❤).
- MYLENE CRUZ HERSELF BEGINS SINGING AS THEY STAY TOGETHER JOINED AT THE FOREHEAD FOR A FEW SECONDS BEFORE SLOWLY PULL APART, A MANTRA OF ‘SET ME FREE’ FOLLOWING THE TWO OF THEM AS THEY MEET ONE ANOTHER’S EYES
- THOR IS GRINNING
- SO HARD
- dizzee has straight up just kissed the boy he’s crushing on well enough for thor to look at him like dizzee is the SUN AND SKY
- they dance together a bit and then the beautiful girl joins them and it’s probably the best romance story ever written. romeo and juliet who? i don’t know them.
- i’m sick of this show blasting me with emotions i’m a weak bitch i can’t handle it
Find on:ao3 Characters: Hannah Baxter, Don Juan, Giacomo Casanova, Peter Vincent Rating: Mature Word Count: 1.8K Summary: Three different men, all with the same face. Hannah has different encounters with each.
Tags: lots of shagging, major character death, spoilers for Don Juan in Soho
Author’s Notes: This is a fulfillment of @timepetalsprompts‘ weekly prompt: “Casanova plus/versus Don Juan.” Technically it’s for next week, but I got so excited about the idea of adding Peter Vincent to the mix that I just went ahead and wrote it.
This is my first time writing outside of the Doctor Who fandom, certainly my first time writing Hannah (I still haven’t seen Secret Diary).
Some dialogue is pulled from the Don Juan in Soho script.
“Use your time wisely,” the Statue admonished and disappeared.
Tonight, he thought. He would die tonight. His blood ran cold at the thought of death. He needed to feel alive. “Stan, call her for me.”
Stan knew to whom he was referring.
He wasn’t her favorite client, but she was his favorite girl, and he always told her so as she gathered herself to leave his estate. And, she had to admit, he was a damn good shag. And devilishly handsome. A bit imaginative at times, which was fun. Played every bit the lovable rogue once they got down to the deed.
She wasn’t overly fond of the future Earl, though. He was pleasant with the girls, always good about business, never rough unless it was arranged for, but he was incredibly selfish and abusive to his companion, Stan. From what she gathered, Don refused to pay him. He was leeching every bit he could from the little man while he waited for his father to pass so he could inherit the family fortune.
But it wasn’t her place to judge. She was there for one purpose, and she was always professional with him.
This time, he was different.
He pulled her to stand between his legs as he sat on the edge of his bed. “You won’t be hearing from me again.” He worked on the buttons of her blouse.
She ran her fingers through his hair. “Why’s that?”
*mild spoilers ahead; serious analysis from here. A lighter analysis right afterwards*
So two days ago I had the privilege of watching Don Juan in Soho at Wyndham’s Theatre. And when I say privilege, I mean it.
I’ve read the reviews. I’ve seen the tweets. I’ve heard about the sex and the humour and much like everyone else, I’ve been waiting for them. But there’s way, way more to this play than just this.
Not to say they’re not important parts of it; I think we spent over half the play laughing. And yes, there are certainly some saucy scenes, that really make you want to grab David and do some things you most certainly shouldn’t. But that’s just not what this is about.
That is, that’s not what stuck to my mind when I left the theatre.
For me, the key moment was the rant. In this scene, DJ is confronted by Stan after having lied to his father (and to Stan himself) about planning to change his ways. He wants DJ to tell him he’s important to him, that he loves him.
DJ won’t do it. “You’re the only one I’ve ever been honest with,” He tells him, before moving on to talk the fake hell we’re all living in. “This is the age of apology,” He tells him. “Don’t confuse it with authenticity.” Because there’s the thing - the world is full of so many hypocrites, of so many dicks and idiots who think they’re something (”A fake tanned, an orangutan!”), of so many people who’re just so busy telling everyone what they think and what they’re doing any second that they don’t actually live anymore. The world is full of liars, of people with no integrity or ones who’d give theirs up for the right price, of people who hurt others and make excuses for it, or hide behind a mask made by society. Welcome to 2017.
I’ve read a lot about that speech. I know certain people thought it ‘over the top’. Too much. Pretentious. Somewhat true but… Or complete nonsense.
We live in a society where it’s okay to lie to each other so long as we tell ourselves it’s for someone else. We live in a society where it’s okay to think only about yourself, and hurt whoever you might have to in order to get what you want. We live in a society where it’s okay to lie to yourself - no, it’s not only okay, it’s even encouraged. We live in a society where everybody’s so busy vlogging and taking selfies that they no longer actually live.
The world is going to hell, and we’re the ones taking it there.
Later on in that scene Stan tells DJ he’s not human. DJ tells him that on the contrary - he’s the only true human. He lives for his pleasure, and screw everyone else (quite literally). But the thing is, what makes him the only ‘true human’ isn’t that - it’s the fact he just doesn’t hide it, like everybody else does.
Not to say that DJ’s guilt-free, hurt-whoever-it-may life is the way to go, but how does DJ put it? “I know what I am and I understand it: I’m a child, a creature only of want. I choose this life and I own it. And no one owns me. Free will: it’s the only thing we all have. And the only thing worth having. And most of us deny we have it at all.” (Don Juan In Soho, Act 3)
And that’s the point of this play.
*end serious analysis*
What can I say?
Aside from this analysis, there’s an awful lot to say about this play. It’s absolutely hilarious - the script is fantastically written (and even more fantastically updated), the cast is doing a marvellous job and the production is beautiful. There are bits of singing and dancing - with a teeny bit of David and Adrian singing a duet and dancing - and then there are dreadful scenes, and funny scenes, and serious moments, and some sex sprinkled on top. I know I sat in that theatre for nearly two hours, but it genuinely felt like ten minutes.
David is absolutely magnificent (and also ‘magnificently fuckable’, but I think we all knew that already). From his faces (goodness, his expressions are something!) to his movements to his speech to his amazing comedic timing, he was absolutely amazing, during every single second of the play. “Please don’t be charmed, he’s not a lovable rogue,” Stan asks us in the beginning, but with David playing DJ, it’s quite impossible not to.
Adrian did a marvellous job as Stan. The differences between him and David compliment them both as well as the production as a whole, and he’s funny, his timing is brilliant and he delivers both lines and emotions beautifully. It’s hard not to feel for him by the first ten minutes of the play.
The play as a whole is certainly dazzling. Between the music, the lighting and the smoke, it feels more like Soho - Don Juan’s romanticised Soho - than Soho itself. The fact the play is clearly updated all the time just makes it even more amazing - it feels like DJ is actually speaking to the audience, like he’s living amongst us, and in a matter of speaking, he is. Patrick Marber is certainly right to keep doing it.
What else can I say? I really wish I could watch it again (tough life for those of us who don’t live in the UK, eh?). I do recommend seeing it - it’s one of the best things in the West End right now, if not the best. I’ve been waiting for it for about four months, but it was totally worth it.
*I gotta admit, with how much everybody’s talking about the sex, I half expected it to be like Casanova, but there’s a lot more of seduction than there is of sex, and there’s a lot more about our lives and mankind than it is about both of them. That being said, seeing him in a gold robe and red knickers - yes, knickers - or getting a blowjob are certainly enough to make you wish you could have him for a night.
**David’s entrance after the intermission may have been one of the funniest things I’ve even seen. Plus, with that mask and the gold robe…
***There’s a bit in the beginning where DJ wants to smoke in the hotel, and Stan tells him he can’t. DJ goes, ‘Watch me’ and has Stan light him a cigarette. A couple of minutes later a hotel employee walks in and he lets her take it, telling her he had no idea he can’t smoke. As soon as she’s gone, he lights another one, only to have her come back and go through the same thing again. When she leaves, he takes a good, appreciative look at her bum… and then lights another one. This time a big, quite threatening looking male employee walks in and DJ is forced to give up his cigarette again. And as he walks out, DJ makes sure to survey his backside just as well… The perfect description of DJ ;)
****There are a couple of bits where you desperately want to hold DJ and promise everything will be okay… I’m not gonna lie, he’s an arse, but you just can’t help but like him.
*****David does look a bit vampite-y in the end, doesn’t he? Between the make up they have on him, the white shirt and the blood all over him, he seems a bit pale and oddly vampire-like. Or is it just me?
Of course, since it was April 18, the folks at Wyndham’s were ready and brought a ton of party poppers, which they gave out to everyone at the Stage Door. As soon as David came out, we all started singing Happy Birthday and pop them and it was simply wonderful. Seeing the look on David’s face when we did was more than enough, and I’m just happy I could be there and be a part of it, even though I didn’t get to talk to him.
hi, my name is Christine and I'm a new author. I published my first poetry book, Roses in SoHo, and it's now available on Barnes & Noble's website. I'm donating a portion of the proceeds to the National Eating Disorder Association, and it would mean the world to me if you could just reblog my post of my book. thank you so much, it means the world!!
What's Rivers of London Black Mould? And does it take place before the happenings of Moon over Soho?
It’s a comic series, and it’s set in between Foxglove Summer and The Hanging Tree. The other two so far, which are both now available as trade paperbacks, are Body Work (set between Broken Homes and FS) and Night Witch (set just after FS).
The comics are co-written by Ben Aaronovitch and they’re canonical - THT has several references to the events of all three comic runs so far. You don’t have to read them to understand the events of the books, though, they’re more like fun side-expansions of the world. Black Mould was…kind of eh, to be honest…but Body Work and Night Witch are both really good. The next one - Detective Stories - is coming out sometime soon.
Request for anonymous houseplant What if any connections are there between Virgin Richard Branson and Kruger Cowen? I know Bransons Africa property is next to Kruger national park and Gina Kruger is from Africa Is it possible VirginMoney paid for the Hiddleswift jlo style campaign to boost the Marathon interest? & Meg is just a sacrificial lamb who will be abandoned after her usefulness is done?
Did you know that @anonymoushouseplantfan ask is on now I think, but she’ll get notified, I’m interested in that as well, Sir Richard’s sister is one of the founding partners of soho house, it’s so incestous this thing that’s going on here, everybody seems to have their hand in it, Branson also donates to sentebale too. When will that be next week, because she has a hell of a campaign going on right now.
hi, my name is Christine and I'm a new author. I published my first poetry book, Roses in SoHo, and it's now available on Barnes & Noble's website. I'm donating a portion of the proceeds to the National Eating Disorder Association, and it would mean the world to me if you could just reblog my post of my book. thank you so much!!
oh oh oh, i would love to check this out!!! how i wish i could get a copy as well but ya gal is broke af she cant even afford to publish her own book yikes! but good luck with this one bee!!! congratulations n im so proud of u!!!
Re stories that he is going to meet her mother or any other family members. The press have already written that he has met her mother, plenty of times. So if anything pops up I'd take that with a huge grain of salt because according to tabloids two people can meet for the first time over and over again:))). A pap walk with him, wouldn't surprise me though. If it's at Soho house Toronto I will die laughing :)))) I doubt he'll be there too long, judging by that bag.
That’s not that big of a bag I think. I’m hoping the three of them go to yoga together, and this time we don’t just see them walking there but we get images from inside the studio, seeing H in very tight clothing in some great poses. Now that would be an exclusive that’s award worthy