Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to fanfiction? Especially Twilight fanfiction?
Oooohhhhh boy. All those with cardiovascular problems better leave now because this is going to get very salty
Okay first off a small disclaimer: while we might be a small group now, Twilight is one of the biggest fandoms on ffnet. There is so much fanfiction out there for Twilight, and loads of it was written by very young, inexperienced writers who were just starting out and plainly writing wish-fullfillment fics with selfinserts that had little to do with Twilight or it’s characters. Obviously this doesn’t go for every Twific, there’s wonderful stuff out there, and even my pet peeves aren’t always annoying if they’re done well- the thing is just, in my experience they mostly aren’t.
I’ll try to keep this brief instead of going into a full-on rant, so I’ll literally make a list.
- ORBS ( I will leave the fic immediately no matter how good it is)
- the OC is vegetarian and the Cullens are super awed of that, but the OC never has any problems killing animals/ with them killing animals, their vegetarianism is just a plot device to make the OC special
- YOU GET A SUPER SPECIAL GIFT! AND YOU GET A SUPER SPECIAL GIFT! EVERYBODY GETS A SUPER SPECIAL GIFT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR CHARACTER
- OC’S without families or friends so they can easily join the Cullens and devote all their time to them, also OC’S with no interest or hobbies
- (this is more general, but I see it in twilight fics very often) over describing clothes. When your chapter is 2000 words and 700 of that are describing your characters outfit down to every detail, you’re going overboard.
- Those weird Carlisle spanks everyone fics????????
- Every OC has the Bella Experience and doesn’t struggle as a newborn at all
- ( this isn’t strictly something I dislike, just something I don’t really get???) The Major
- whenever somebody involves Native American/Quileute heritage I get really tense cause that’s just a bag of bad things about to happen, like I once read a fic where the OC ( a white girl) could sing super well and went to bonfire night at the resort and then sang Colours Of The Wind from Pocahontas and the wolves were totally awed and that was a major YIKES
- mischaracterization of the canon characters ( even if it’s an AU they need to be recognizable)
- Mates/Imprints everywhere ( I really don’t share this idea that Mates or the same as Imprints and that you ~know~ as soon as you see them, which seems to be very popular in fanfic)
- Weird Names ( If your OC is white and Amercian and named Athena or Isis or whatever for no reason other than that you think it’s a cool name that’s just… no. don’t do it. Then give her a father obessed with mythology and make it a point that her name is kinda weird. Let her bond with Renesmesnesee over that)
- Any of the Cullens ( I excempt B/E from this) falling for teenagers
- 20 chapter fics with no plot and just fluff or smut ( I enjoy both, but rather as one-shots)
- Periodfeasts. No. Don’t do it.
there’s probably a thousand more, but I’ll stop now