So, I finished the game a few days ago and needed an outlet for my thoughts and feelings because oh man did Chapter 14 bring the feels train fast and hard. To the point where I am giving PSA’s at work about it to my co workers who are playing the game.
Before I start, I just want to say that I had been following the game development for a few years now and was undecided after playing the Platinum demo how much I was going to like the game. I am a traditionalist when it comes to Final Fantasy games and when they change things to much I don’t like it (looking at you X-2). So when I saw the battle system I was a little skeptical that I would like it. But none the less I gave it a chance especially after all the hype and how well done the Brotherhood anime was.
With that said, there a few things I need to get off my lady chest:
- The throw away dialog and puns in this game were just everything. (What are you my mother? Mums the word ahahaha) And the animation in battles and while driving were so fantastic (Ie when your driving Gladio and Prompto start plugging their nose and getting mad at Noctis like he farted in the car. Like omg lol that is such a bro thing I can’t even.)
- I am fairly certain Regis somehow sabotaged the car to delay the journey long enough so they wouldn’t be anywhere near the Crown City when the NIff’s pulled their bull shit. I mean Cid more or less implies it in the game and Regis doesn’t seem that stupid to not know it was a trap and wanted to save his son. (hence why the wedding was to be in Altissia)
- How did Gladio get his orginal scars? Did he get into a fight about cup of noodles defending their honor? Also what the fuck happened when he went off those few days on his own. I mean I have theories (see my post below about Gladio and the Cup of Noodles cult) but damn it I will riot in the streets if his DLC doesn’t explain it.
- I really want to know more about the girl Galdio is seeing 10 years later. I mean he is obviously smitten with her to bring her up to them the eve of their taking the city back.
- Iris is queen.
- Prompto’s heart belongs to Cindy.
- Prompto’s heart also belongs to Noctis (I didn’t get Promptis until I played the game and my god do I ship it. I ship it so hard.)
- Is it ever explained why Cor is called Cor the Immortal? Maybe his DLC will explain it but I imagine it’s because either he is really immortal or its a derogatory term used towards him because he always seems to miss the big battles? I am thinking the later because he doesn’t seem to happy about being called that.
- I feel like Noctis and Luna had this Romeo and Juliet thing going on for awhile.
- I wish they went into their relationship more in the game…I mean obviously there was more to this engagement than just political reasons. They obviously cared for each other.
- The Chocobo side quests were everything in this game. I mean they might be my favorite Chocobos in a final fantasy game of all time.
- I may or may not have driven the Regalia in first person view so I could turn the camera directly on Ignis and just stare at that beautiful man’s face for hours.
- “That’s it! I’ve discovered a new receipe” will now become a trigger of mine.
- Sorry Phichit from Yuri on Ice!! but Prompto Argentum is the new king of selfies.
- Also sooooooo many butt shots in this game. I mean come on Prompto….we get it you have a thing for butts…expecially Glaido’s butt.
- Prompto really did take the best pictures. I mean dude’s got a gift. (Also I was undecided if I was going to enjoy this feature in the game but my god if it was not my favorite thing to do out of all the guys special skills. I loved to see what pictures Prompto took today)
- Speaking of Prompto…all this time I thought his insecurities stemmed from being a ackward fat kid (can so relate to that) but nope, not at all. Dude had the darkest back story of the game. I mean after Chapter 13 I just wanted to bundle him up and protect him at all costs.
- Also, apparently he was adopted as a baby but how did he know he was an MT? Did he just make the connection while they were traveling or did he always know? Or did Ardyn tell him? So unclear.
- In the beginning I kind of hated Noctis. I thought he was just this emo trash kid who was sheltered in life and didn’t want to grow up. But by the end of it all I was literally on my knees bowing to the almighty true king. I mean jesus did he redeem himself in the end.
- I’m not ok with the fact that Prompto never met Lunafreya or saw Pryna again.
- I was more upset about Ignis going blind than I was about Luna getting stabbed.
- Ignis being blind the rest of the game was worse than if they just killed him off. It was so sad to play pretty much 4 chapters watching him struggle.
- I am fairly sure Cid lived with Ignis during the 10 years Noct was gone. Like Ignis took him in and took care of him while they were in Lestallum. Iggy is such a stand up guy.
- Ardyn just screamed stranger danger throughout the whole game. I mean in Lestallum I was screaming at my tv for them to not go with him. Like really that red convertible was literally a big white shady van.
- Also I feel no sympathy for Ardyn at all. He was a sick twisted mother fucker. I mean he had the images of all his ‘kills’ hanging above the thrown. That is a sick and twisted man-demon.
- However I do feel sympathy for Ravus. Poor bastard loved Luna so much and was really the casualty of this shitty war between Lucis and Niffilheim.
- The Final Fantasy call backs in this game we great (the soundtracks from old games, Wedge, Biggs, the Spira bank etc etc)
- Noctis sitting on the throne after defeating Ardyn killed me so much. He was so strong and just accepted his fate. Poor guy never had a chance for anything else. God damn destiny.
- Nothing in life has ever made me cry sobbing ugly tears like the camp fire scene during the credits. I mean I was crying the minuet they were all sitting there silent not wanting to bring up the big white elephant in the room and then Noct just telling them he made peace with his fate and fucking Prompto just sobbing and god damn it even Galdio had tears in his eyes I just couldn’t take it. It was too much. I am still not over it and never will be. I re-watched the scene again on Youtube a few times and I still ugly cry. No scene in a video game has ever made me that emotional before.
- The scene at the end with Luna and Noct I thought was nice but so sad. Why couldn’t the six just grant them their lives back for being so pure and good?
- Also, I am certain the chocobros lived. I think the scene in the afterlife was just Ardyn hallucinating and Noct drawing on their bond to finish them off. Otherwise why all the emphasis on rebuilding and Gladio making note of the structures being save able and the whole walk tall speech? Noct was leaving the rebuilding process to them.
- My ending head cannon would be Noct and Luna coming back and the chocobro’s meeting them on the steps of the Citadel and everyone reuniting and Noctis introducing her as his fiance and Luna healing Ignis’s eyes so that he can finally see dawn and everyone giving Gladio shit about the girl he’s been seeing and then teasing Prompto about pursuing Cindy for 10 years.
In the end I got an epic bro road trip that turned into a runaway feels train that came crashing down hard.