X-Men Apocalypse was entertaining, fun and unlike Civil War, didn’t make me want to burn all my Marvel merch afterwards.
The timeline still confuses me, and I still don’t know if that’s because it makes no sense or I’m not paying attention properly. I don’t know what’s going on most of the time but that’s ok. The new kids on the block were wonderful to watch, as were the reboot veterans. Apocalypse was a fab villain, and I lowkey rooted for him in the first half of the movie, no shame. Wolverine’s cameo was on point, both in his overall story and in this movie - it was great to see Alkali Lake again, it reminded me of X2 as well as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which, shut UP I enjoyed despite everything.
There was some good ol’ nostalgia for the First Class mutants, which made me all emotional because we had Xavier’s generation alongside Storm, Jean and Scott’s generation, and it all felt very sweet and moving.
The females owned this movie, you guys. Oh man. OH MAN. I love them all so much. I would have liked to see more of Jubilee though, who’s downright adorable. Basically all the stuff with the new mutants was gold; Jean, Kurt, Scott and Jubilee were so 80s-aesthetic goals it hurt. Slow clap for the costume department as well, particularly the ending shot with all of them suited up. There’s so much to admire about everyone’s individual costumes, they deserve a post of their own.
I wasn’t a huge fan of where they left things with Charles and Erik, simply because again, comparisons with CA: CW were inevitable, and it stings a little that Erik got off scot-free with all those murders when Bucky was put back in the freezer simply for trying to escape people who wanted him dead or worse. They’re not related at all. I just like to get salty about things.
I’m more into the after-credits scene after I researched it a bit, and if that does end up informing the overall plot of the next movie, and even introduce Cable - WHOO BOY I would be all over that. Great way to tie in Deadpool to the main narrative as well.
- Jean Grey (fuckin slaying everything. That phoenix scene near the end. Damn.)
- Quicksilver (how many people would be dead without him? SO MANY)
- Alex Summers (deserved better)
- My babe Storm, god damn
- Apocalypse. He speaks like he’s quoting Old Testament all the time, talk about eerie
Best Power Effect:
- Cyclops, for sheer old fashioned coolness ((LASER BEAMS BRAH))
- Erik what the fuck put the earth back stop killing everyone I iunderstand your pain but these tantrums aren’t fun
Best Blue Person:
- Nightcrawler was the perfect mix of cute and hilarious, and I advocate more of him with the team in the future